List:       full-disclosure
Subject:    [FD] LKX-2023-001 VinChin VMWare Backup
From:       Gregory Boddin via Fulldisclosure <fulldisclosure () seclists ! org>
Date:       2023-10-25 23:23:46

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

[Attachment #4 (multipart/mixed)]

VinChin Backup & Recovery is an all-in-one backup solution for virtual inf=
rastructures supporting VMWare, KVM, Xen Server, Hyper-V, OpenStack and mo=
re. The product also supports AWS, Azure and other cloud providers as back=
up storage.

VinChin has failed to acknowledge the various requests over a month period=
, we are thus disclosing the following vulnerabilities:

CVE-2023-45499 - VinChin VMWare Backup 5.0 to 7.0
During our research we discovered an HTTP API exposed by VinChin Backup. T=
his API can be accessed using hard-coded credentials.

CVE-2023-45498 - VinChin VMWare Backup 5.0 to 7.0
While exploring the various functionalities exposed by the API a particula=
r endpoint was found vulnerable to improper input sanitization. A speciall=
y crafted payload results in remote code execution allowing the attacker t=
o execute code with the permissions of the web server.

Timeline:
2023-09-22: LeakIX makes initial contact
2023-09-25: VinChin request details
2023-09-25: LeakIX request Safe harbour
2023-09-26: No reply, LeakIX requests update
2023-09-27: No reply, LeakIX sends PoC
2023-09-29: No reply, LeakIX requests feedback
2023-10-05: No reply, LeakIX requests feedback
2023-10-10: No reply, LeakIX requests feedback from alternative email
2023-10-11: No reply, LeakIX requests feedback from another alternative em=
ail
2023-10-16: No reply, CVE reserved and vendor notified
2023-10-18: No reply, LeakIX sent 7 day disclosure warning
2023-10-24: LeakIX sends early warning to providers hosting VinChin on the=
ir network.
2023-10-26: No reply, Publishing this advisory
["publickey - gregory@leakix.net - 0x6E783F68.asc" (application/pgp-keys)]