List:       full-disclosure
Subject:    Re: [FD] Defense in depth -- the Microsoft way (part 80): 25 (in words: TWENTY-FIVE) year old TRIVIA
From:       Tavis Ormandy <taviso () gmail ! com>
Date:       2022-05-12 15:15:15

On 2022-05-10, Stefan Kanthak wrote:
>| Their reasoning centers around the requirement to have admin
>| privileges to pull off the attack.
>
>     OUCH! Unprivileged users can but write this registry entry below
>           [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Command Processor]

They're explaining that you need privileges to attack *other* users. I don't
think anyone is disputing you can "attack" yourself.

I know, I know - we've had this discussion before, and nothing will
convince you that this isn't a vulnerability :)

Tavis.

--
 _o)            $ lynx lock.cmpxchg8b.com
 /\\  _o)  _o)  $ finger taviso@sdf.org