List:       full-disclosure
Subject:    [FD] CompTIA Security+ and its insecure support system
From:       <user09990 () tuta ! io>
Date:       2016-09-30 17:02:20

I was signed up CompTIA account with a fake name for a privacy reason. Later on, I wanted to \
update my name in CompTIA account because I was planning to take their Security+ certificate. \
The problem is I cannot update my name directly from the profile menu, it told me to create a \
support ticket (this is a good idea I guess).  However, the support guy asked me to upload a \
copy of a legal ID (driver's license or passport) to the support ticket system.

The real bad thing is the CompTIA's support ticket system can be logged in by using just an \
"email address".  If you know email of someone who holds a CompTIA certificate, you can freely \
access his/her support tickets at:

http://newsupport.comptia.org/ics/support/mylogin.asp

You can fill anything in  'first name' field. Only a valid email address is required to access \
anybody support ticket.

So I tried to explain to them that this is not a good security practice to ask me to upload my \
passport to such an insecure system but the support guy cannot do anything about it.

I think the Security+ certificate creators need to learn how to secure a system containing \
sensitive information like the copy of customer's passports with at least a pair of username \
and password.

rgds,
CISSP wannabe