List:       full-disclosure
Subject:    [FD] Bugcrowd Bug Bounty #7 - Persistent Web Vulnerability
From:       Vulnerability Lab <research () vulnerability-lab ! com>
Date:       2016-05-25 9:24:45

Document Title:
===============
Bugcrowd Bug Bounty #7 - Persistent Web Vulnerability

References (Source):
====================
http://www.vulnerability-lab.com/get_content.php?id=1830

ID: b40f63ed19074014df808599e44684f6a18bb6f4f51cf21948ef78df2f56c13b

Release Date:
=============
2016-05-10

Vulnerability Laboratory ID (VL-ID):
====================================
1830

Common Vulnerability Scoring System:
====================================
3.8

Product & Service Introduction:
===============================
From the outback to the valley, Bugcrowd is paving the way for crowdsourced security. Founded \
in 2012 in Australia by  Casey Ellis, Bugcrowd is now based in San Francisco and is backed by \
Costanoa Venture Capital, Rally Ventures, Paladin Capital  Group and Blackbird Ventures.

(Copy of the Homepage: https://bugcrowd.com/about )

Abstract Advisory Information:
==============================
The vulnerability laboratory research team discovered an application-side vulnerability in the \
official Bugcrowd online service web-application.

Vulnerability Disclosure Timeline:
==================================
2016-04-20: Researcher Notification & Coordination (Benjamin Kunz Mejri - Evolution Security \
                GmbH)
2016-04-21: Vendor Notification (Bugcrowd - Bug Bounty Program)
2016-**-**: Vendor Fix/Patch (Bugcrowd - Bug Bounty Program)
2016-05-03: Acknowledgement & Bug Bounty (Bugcrowd - Bug Bounty Program)
2016-05-10: Public Disclosure (Vulnerability Laboratory)

Discovery Status:
=================
Published

Affected Product(s):
====================
Bugcrowd
Product: Online Service - Web Application 2016 Q2

Exploitation Technique:
=======================
Remote

Severity Level:
===============
Medium

Technical Details & Description:
================================
A persistent script code injection and application-side mail encode web vulnerability has been \
discovered in the official Bugcrowd online service web-application. The vulnerability typ \
allows an attacker to inject own malicious script code to the application-side of the \
vulnerable service function or web modules context.

The bugcrowd service allows to register by a web formular in the webpage to receive new \
information like "... Bugcrowd`s Next Chapter". In the name values attackers  are able to \
inject malicious script codes. In an advisory send to bugcrowd about 1 year ago we already \
mentioned the problem but your team was not able to verify  the bug finally. Thus time we \
exploited the bug by using casey ellis wrong encoded context of the bugcrowd registered users \
to stream the code with the service emails.  The injection point is the formular registration \
for receiving information of bugcrowd and the execution point is the email body context with \
the broken encode values.  The code directly executes after the arrival in the main body \
context and the sender of the email was the mail support@bugcrowd inbox.

The security risk of the application-side cross site web vulnerability is estimated as medium \
with a cvss (common vulnerability scoring system) count of 3.7.  Exploitation of the persistent \
input validation web vulnerability requires a low privileged web-application user account and \
low or medium user interaction.  Successful exploitation of the vulnerability results in \
session hijacking, persistent phishing attacks, persistent external redirects to malicious \
source and  persistent manipulation of affected or connected application modules.

Request Method(s):
				[+] POST

Vulnerable Parameter(s):
				[+] Firstname
				[+] Lastname
				[+] Companyname

Affected Module(s):
				[+] Email Community Letter - (community@bugcrowd.com)

Proof of Concept (PoC):
=======================
The security vulnerability can be exploited by remote attackers without user interaction or \
privileged web-application user account. For security demonstration or to reproduce the \
vulnerability follow the provided information and steps below to continue.

PoC: Email: We've raised money, here's what's next from Bugcrowd (community@bugcrowd.com) - \
Casey Ellis <p style="margin-bottom: 1em; -webkit-text-size-adjust:100%;
-ms-text-size-adjust:100%">Hi&nbsp;"&gt;<[PERSISTENT INJECTED SCRIPT CODE EXECUTION!]&quot;)" \
<="" "="">&amp;lt;iframe src=a onload=alert("PENTEST") &amp;lt;,&amp;lt;/p&amp;gt; &amp;lt;p \
style="margin-bottom: 1em; -webkit-text-size-adjust:100%; -ms-text-size-adjust:100%"&amp;gt;As \
you may have&amp;amp;nbsp;already heard, this morning we &amp;lt;a  \
href="https://bugcrowd.com/resources/bugcrowd-15-million-raises-series-b" \
style="-webkit-text-size-adjust:100%; -ms-text-size-adjust:100%" \
data-hs-link-id="0"&amp;gt;announced  our $15M Series B funding&amp;lt;/a&amp;gt;. We're proud \
to have many of our previous investors joining us again, as well as pleased to welcome new \
investors to the family. &amp;lt;br&amp;gt;&amp;lt;br&amp;gt;We couldn't have done this without \
you. With your help we've built a massive&amp;amp;nbsp;community of hackers, made up of diverse \
and  talented folks from all over the world.&amp;lt;br&amp;gt;&amp;lt;br&amp;gt;We've got lots \
of plans for what's next and I've shared those details on our blog. Please check  it out to \
learn more.&amp;lt;br&amp;gt;&amp;lt;br&amp;gt;&amp;lt;strong&amp;gt;&amp;lt;a \
href="https://blog.bugcrowd.com/15-million-to-connect-hackers-and-companies-bugcrowd-series-b"  \
style="-webkit-text-size-adjust:100%; -ms-text-size-adjust:100%" \
data-hs-link-id="1"&amp;gt;Read about our plans for Bugcrowd's next \
chapter&amp;lt;/a&amp;gt;.&amp;lt;/strong&amp;gt; &amp;lt;/p&amp;gt;&amp;lt;p \
style="margin-bottom: 1em; -webkit-text-size-adjust:100%; \
-ms-text-size-adjust:100%"&amp;gt;Thank you joining us on this journey. There's so much more to \
come! We hope you'll &amp;lt;a href="https://twitter.com/Bugcrowd/status/722904657366884353" \
style="-webkit-text-size-adjust:100%; -ms-text-size-adjust:100%" \
data-hs-link-id="0"&amp;gt;join us  today in our celebration&amp;lt;/a&amp;gt; of this Bugcrowd \
community milestone.&amp;lt;/p&amp;gt; &amp;lt;p style="margin-bottom: 1em; \
-webkit-text-size-adjust:100%; -ms-text-size-adjust:100%"&amp;gt;Sincerely,&amp;lt;/p&amp;gt; \
&amp;lt;p style="margin-bottom: 1em; -webkit-text-size-adjust:100%; \
-ms-text-size-adjust:100%"&amp;gt;Casey Ellis&amp;lt;br&amp;gt;Bugcrowd Founder &amp;amp;amp; \
CEO&amp;lt;/p&amp;gt;&amp;lt;/div&amp;gt;

Solution - Fix & Patch:
=======================
The vulnerability can be patched by a secure parse and encode of the vulnerable firstname, \
lastname and company values in the add POST method request. Disallow the usage of special chars \
in the name values, encode the inputs as well to prevent further exploitation. Encode as well \
outgoing emails to ensure that no malicious script code injection can take place with \
application-side attack vector.

Security Risk:
==============
The security risk of the filter bypass issue and application-side arbitrary script code \
injection web vulnerability is estimated as medium. (CVSS 3.8)

Credits & Authors:
==================
Vulnerability Laboratory [Research Team] - Benjamin Kunz Mejri (research@vulnerability-lab.com) \
[www.vulnerability-lab.com] [http://www.vulnerability-lab.com/show.php?user=Benjamin%20K.M.]

Disclaimer & Information:
=========================
The information provided in this advisory is provided as it is without any warranty. \
Vulnerability Lab disclaims all warranties, either expressed or implied,  including the \
warranties of merchantability and capability for a particular purpose. Vulnerability-Lab or its \
suppliers are not liable in any case of damage,  including direct, indirect, incidental, \
consequential loss of business profits or special damages, even if Vulnerability-Lab or its \
suppliers have been advised  of the possibility of such damages. Some states do not allow the \
exclusion or limitation of liability for consequential or incidental damages so the foregoing  \
limitation may not apply. We do not approve or encourage anybody to break any licenses, \
policies, deface websites, hack into databases or trade with stolen data.

Domains:    www.vulnerability-lab.com 		- www.vuln-lab.com 						- www.evolution-sec.com
Contact:    admin@vulnerability-lab.com 	- research@vulnerability-lab.com 				- \
                admin@evolution-sec.com
Section:    magazine.vulnerability-lab.com 	- vulnerability-lab.com/contact.php 				- \
                evolution-sec.com/contact
Social:	    twitter.com/vuln_lab		- facebook.com/VulnerabilityLab 				- \
                youtube.com/user/vulnerability0lab
Feeds:	    vulnerability-lab.com/rss/rss.php 	- vulnerability-lab.com/rss/rss_upcoming.php 			- \
                vulnerability-lab.com/rss/rss_news.php
Programs:   vulnerability-lab.com/submit.php 	- \
vulnerability-lab.com/list-of-bug-bounty-programs.php 	- vulnerability-lab.com/register.php

Any modified copy or reproduction, including partially usages, of this file requires \
authorization from Vulnerability Laboratory. Permission to electronically  redistribute this \
alert in its unmodified form is granted. All other rights, including the use of other media, \
are reserved by Vulnerability-Lab Research Team or  its suppliers. All pictures, texts, \
advisories, source code, videos and other information on this website is trademark of \
vulnerability-lab team & the specific  authors or managers. To record, list, modify, use or \
edit our material contact (admin@ or research@vulnerability-lab.com) to get a ask permission.

				    Copyright  © 2016 | Vulnerability Laboratory - [Evolution Security GmbH]â„¢

--
VULNERABILITY LABORATORY - RESEARCH TEAM
SERVICE: www.vulnerability-lab.com