List:       full-disclosure
Subject:    Re: [FD] CVE-2014-8610 Android < 5.0 SMS resend vulnerability
From:       Joshua Wright <jwright () hasborg ! com>
Date:       2014-11-29 20:38:30

> On Nov 25, 2014, at 9:55 PM, Wang,Tao(Scloud) <wangtao12@baidu.com> wrote:
>
> INTRODUCTION
> ==================================
> In Android <5.0, an unprivileged app can resend all the SMS stored in the user's phone to \
> their corresponding recipients or senders (without user interaction). No matter whether these \
> SMS are sent to or received from other people. This may leads to undesired cost to user. Even \
> the worse, since Android also allow unprivileged app to create draft SMS, combined with this \
> trick, bad app can send any SMS without privilege requirement.

I put together a Drozer module to leverage this flaw:

https://github.com/joswr1ght/drozer-modules/blob/master/whfs/smsdraftsend.py

Note that this flaw can be used for SMS premium message (short code) delivery, but does not \
bypass the Android 4.2 and later verification dialog box prior to delivery.  Normal SMS message \
delivery works fine without the SEND_SMS privilege.

-Josh