List:       full-disclosure
Subject:    Re: [FD] US cybercrime laws being used to target security researchers | Technology | The Guardian
From:       Allen D <multimode1876 () gmail ! com>
Date:       2014-05-30 12:17:51

Personally I felt this was a bit of yellow journalism on the part of the
guardian.  The only fact I saw in the article was that HD was approached by
LEO about his project involving aggressive scans of the Internet.
According the the article that happened a year ago, isn't this project
still ongoing?  If HD was "targeted", where are the legal proceedings? If
this happened a year ago; How is this "news"?

The rest of the article seems to be based on opinions and speculation about
how much harm would come to the world if in fact the LEO's were "targeting
security researchers".

Feel free to point out any facts I may have missed, the headline read* "US
cybercrime laws being used to target security researchers"* however the
body of the article didn't have many facts supporting that claim. I would
also have expected HD to be more vocal about something like this.  I think
I would give the article more credibility if it had stated the branch of
law enforcement.

Then again maybe I just need to re-read the article.