List:       full-disclosure
Subject:    Re: [FD] Full disk encryption for OS X alternative to TrueCrypt
From:       Mateusz Lenik <mlen () mlen ! pl>
Date:       2014-05-30 8:58:07

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

On Thu, May 29, 2014 at 02:45:12PM -0700, CIURANA EUGENE (pr3d4t0r - Full Disclosure) wrote:
> FileVault is suspect -- we have no
> guarantee, one way or another, that Apple doesn't have some kind of back
> door into it.
>
> That's why I believe we need an alternative for OS X
> users who rely on TrueCrypt and want better security than what is
> provided by Apple.
>
> Note: I love Apple products, but given Prism and
> other disclosures, I don't trust their software to be safe. That's why
> OTR, TrueCrypt, and GPG/PGP are in my arsenal for secure storage and
> communications.

When you don't trust FileVault, because Apple may have put a backdoor in, then
you shouldn't trust the whole platform, as Apple may have put another backdoor
that allows remote access to your machine.

There is Back to My Mac, that allows you to connect to your machine from
everywhere. What's the guarantee that some three letter agencies won't use it,
or something else we're not aware of, to access your machine behind you back?

If they can access your machine, then no encryption whatsoever will solve the
problem, as GPG, OTR and disk encryption keys are stored unencrypted in memory
when you use them.

Cheers!
mlen