List:       full-disclosure
Subject:    Re: [Full-disclosure] Apple Safari 4 Beta feeds: URI NULL Pointer
From:       Biz Marqee <biz.marqee () gmail ! com>
Date:       2009-02-27 6:54:41

[Attachment #2 (multipart/alternative)]

I don't think you understand what a NULL pointer dereference is. It is
referencing NULL. NULL as in 0x00. Not 0x00+some_reg, that would now be
something greater than 0 and hence IT IS NOT DEREFERENCING NULL.. AKA NOT A
NULL DEREFERENCE.

His point remains valid, how is a free(NULL) exploitable for code execution
from userland? How does it constitute a security vulnerability?

-- snip --

>* I'm didn't even comment on Mark's paper, it is definitely a great piece of
*>* research, there is no doubt. It's just that some people have read this paper
*>* and thought, wow, all those NULL bugs are now exploitable. It's important to
*>* separate these bug classes.
*
sorry to interrupt your self-aggrandizing tirade, however you're the only
one who took the implication that *all* null ptr related bugs are
exploitable-- i never implied or said that, just said in some instances
they can be. Furthermore, I think you're taking the word 'dereference' a
little too serious and you should perhaps take up a hobby such as baseball
cards or miniature collectibles to quench you're apparent need to
sub-categorize into nothing. If you want to insist that null+x/etc bugs be
in an entirely separate category than dereferences, that's cool, just don't
go all ape-shit on people who dont share your same narrow view at
some feeble attempt at elitism via syntactic pedantry.