List:       full-disclosure
Subject:    Re: [Full-disclosure] Cracking the entire set of DES-based crypt(3)
From:       "XRR ." <xor.rax.rax () gmail ! com>
Date:       2007-07-30 23:02:34

On 7/30/07, Michael Holstein <michael.holstein@csuohio.edu> wrote:

> Sure it will, it just takes adjustments to john.conf and a *lot* longer.
> djohn (distributed JtR) was written to address this.

Exactly. And my point is that it is only doable in a reasonable amount of
time if you have on the order of 1e5 cpu cores in the cluster. I can do it
for $4M, lower estimate.

Not cheap enough.

> The EFF built a gizmo (in 1998 no less) that could to it in 4.5 days on
> average :

Correct. But multiply this by the 25 iterations of DES required by crypt().
So one EFF DES cracker, or better, one copacobana box has a cracking
throughput of 1 hash every 100 days or so.

Not good enough.

-XRR