List:       full-disclosure
Subject:    [Full-Disclosure] Jefferson-Is this a known problem? Trojans?
From:       "Francis, Justin" <francij () hastings-ent ! com>
Date:       2003-12-30 21:00:19

I haven't heard of this message before, however, many messages such as these have header info \
generated ("brand spoofing"), which thus varies the sender/subject lines from message to \
message.

The first thing I would do when my system boots back up is check Task Manager for currently \
running processes on the system.  Anything peculiar should be checked out.  You should also \
perform a port-scan, if you have the tools, to make sure there haven't been any ports opened up \
that are running an unwanted service.

There are tools, such as Ad-aware that can be used to scan for malware on your Windows system \
(www.ad-aware.com).  Symantec and others are helpful, but only for known viruses.

Of course, the best cure is to not open emails from unexpected sources, but if you must, at \
least open them in "text only", as this may reduce the risk involved, especially if this \
becomes an ongoing problem.

If a re-install is needed, just be sure to start the firewall before attaching it to a network \
and make note of all the processes that run by default, so you will always know exactly what \
should be running on your system. One thing they teach you in SANS courses is that if you don't \
know what's running on your system and what your network and CPU load is on an average day . . \
. how will you ever know if your systems been breeched.

--
jfshadow