List:       full-disclosure
Subject:    Re: [Full-Disclosure] Re: Gates: 'You don't need perfect code' for
From:       Peter Moody <peter () ucsc ! edu>
Date:       2003-10-31 22:39:12

> First, firewalling and patching can not in fact shield networks from
> all of the impact of worms and viruses. Ask any experienced network
> admin. There will always be users who bring into a firewalled network
> a laptop that was, for example, infected at home. Once that infected
> laptop is connected to the enterprise, the firewall is irrelevant.

Host based firewalling will take care of this.  I don't care who you are
or where I am, but my computer is my "crown jewel" and I'm not going to
let any packet touch it that I don't want touching it.  I'm pretty sure
that's what Gates was talking about; if you click on the "secure your pc
1-2-3" link on any of the ms.com webpages, their suggestion is to turn
on the host-based firewall.  There's no mention of dropping money for a
cisco pix or nokia/checkpoint solution.

-Peter

--=20
Peter Moody                             <peter@ucsc.edu>
Information Security Administrator      831/459.5409
Communications and Technology Services. http://mustard.ucsc.edu/pubkey
UC, Santa Cruz.
:wq