List:       freshmeat-news
Subject:    [fm-news] Newsletter for Monday, December 09th 2002
From:       freshmeat-news-admin () lists ! freshmeat ! net
Date:       2002-12-10 8:10:06

> > > L I N K S   F O R   T H E   D A Y :::

Today's news on the web: http://freshmeat.net/daily/2002/12/09/
freshmeat.net newsgroup: news://news.freshmeat.net/fm.announce

- - -.- ------- .--..  -   ---- - ---- ---.----- -  .-  --.-- . -

> > > A D V E R T I S I N G :::

Microsoft Visual Studio .NET

is today's comprehensive development tool for the  task at hand, built to
help you overcome programming challenges and increase productivity.
Discover what it can do for you, today.  Click here to try a free online
hosted session.

http://ad.doubleclick.net/clk;4787263;7673525;x?http://msdn.protier.com/admin/skins/vsdemo/freetrial.aspx?source=OSDN_general_newsletter

 ..--.  ----- ----- - -.-- .--.--..- -..-. . -.-- .----- --- -- -

> > > R E L E A S E   H E A D L I N E S (126) :::

[001] - A Simple TimeSheet 1.1
[002] - AJ's Internet Cafe for LTSP 0.2-r1
[003] - ALE 0.1.1
[004] - Alist 0.8.2
[005] - Allegro 4.1.7 (Development)
[006] - Ampoliros 3.1.5
[007] - ANT is Not a Telephone 0.0.8
[008] - BabyChess 13 (Stable)
[009] - BASHISH DR7.9
[010] - Between Book's Pages 0.5b2
[011] - C++ Portable Types Library (PTypes) 1.7.4
[012] - CDPlayer.app 0.2.5
[013] - cdrecord 2.0pre2
[014] - Cerberus Test Control System 1.3.0pre8
[015] - cfgd snapshot 20021208 (Development)
[016] - changedfiles 0.9.2.2
[017] - Chunky Monkey IRCD 1.0.4b1 (Development)
[018] - Coccinella 0.94.2
[019] - Condorcet with Dual Dropping 4.8 (Development)
[020] - Conexant HCF (controllerless) driver 0.98mbsibeta02110300
[021] - Conexant HSF (softmodem) driver 5.03.03.L3mbsibeta02110301
[022] - Conexant Riptide driver 0.4mbsibeta02110301
[023] - crampass 1.0
[024] - Cyrus SASL 2.1.10 (SASLv2)
[025] - Database Schema Designer 0.3
[026] - dbackup 1.0.1
[027] - DCP-Portal 1.1 (ProBiz)
[028] - Depression Glass Debug Library 0.22
[029] - DIBS 0.1
[030] - Dnsmasq 1.10
[031] - E.A.R. 1.1 (Stable)
[032] - eject 2.0.13
[033] - eMATgine server 1.1 (Stable)
[034] - eMATgine service: S1000_download_slave 1.0
[035] - Fast Light WRITER 0.0.13
[036] - Fast MD5 Implementation in Java 2.5
[037] - FIAIF is an Intelligent Firewall 1.4.4
[038] - FireHOL R5 v1.36
[039] - floppyfw 1.0.15 (Stable)
[040] - Fluxbox 0.1.14
[041] - Free Bangla Fonts 0.75 (Akaash)
[042] - Freedups 0.6.0 (Development)
[043] - FreeMarker 2.1.3 (Lazarus)
[044] - gGo 0.3.1
[045] - gMUDix 0.10
[046] - GNOME Clipboard Manager 2.0.3 (Gnome 2)
[047] - GNOME Clipboard Manager Applet 2.0.3
[048] - googleware 1.8
[049] - GPL Arcade Volleyball 0.6.0
[050] - GunStamp 1.0-1
[051] - Hashgen 1.0b
[052] - Hibernate 1.2 final
[053] - HighPriest 0.2.0
[054] - HTML Converter 2.0
[055] - HTML::GenToc 2.01
[056] - IP MASQ GG 1.0pre3
[057] - ircGraph 0.6.7 (Stable)
[058] - irCstats 0.01
[059] - Jabber Gadu-Gadu Transport 1.2.0
[060] - Java Development Environment for Emacs 2.3.1
[061] - Java iCal Group Scheduler 1.1.1
[062] - Java Serialization to XML 1.0.7.0
[063] - JDebugTool 2.6
[064] - JMP 0.23
[065] - KDE Interactive Geometry 0.3
[066] - Kernel Mode Linux 2.5.51_001 (For Linux 2.5)
[067] - libmng 1.0.5-rc2
[068] - libsgml 1.1.2 (Stable)
[069] - libsndfile 1.0.3 (1.x)
[070] - Linux 2.2.23 (2.2)
[071] - Linux Napster Client 1.5.1
[072] - Magick IRC Services 2.0rc1
[073] - Mail Master 1.10
[074] - Matrox Millennium II Xv extension 0.1
[075] - Menstruation calendar 2.1
[076] - MenuConvert_SystemToE 0.1.4
[077] - MetaL meta-programming language 2002.12.10
[078] - Metastorage 2002.12.09
[079] - Millstone 3.0.0
[080] - mod_security 1.3b
[081] - monfarm 1.0.0
[082] - MP3do 4.0-rc10
[083] - MPlayer 0.90-rc1
[084] - Node Runner 0.5.2
[085] - Perl Object Environment 0.24 (Stable)
[086] - PerlBill 2.02 (Stable)
[087] - PHP SQL Replicator 0.7
[088] - phpFormGenerator 2.03 (Stable)
[089] - phpGIS V1R6
[090] - phpWebThings 0.6test4 (Development)
[091] - pipemeter 0.8
[092] - Postfix 1.1.12-20021209 (Development)
[093] - pushmail 0.3
[094] - pyPgSQL 2.3 (Stable)
[095] - qpsmtpd 0.20
[096] - Reqwireless WebViewer 1.8
[097] - ReqwirelessWeb 1.8
[098] - rsync-backup 0.2.4 (Development)
[099] - RxLinux 1.2.1
[100] - SDL.NET 1.0
[101] - Siege 2.56b6 (Beta)
[102] - SouRCe PacKaGer 0.0.2
[103] - T/bone SecureMail Gateway 1.1.0
[104] - The Tamber Project 1.1.29 (Pogo)
[105] - TINTFU 0.0.3
[106] - tkhangman 2.4.1
[107] - TkPanel 1.0
[108] - TPL Portal 0.85
[109] - tvnow 0.1.25
[110] - Unix Amiga Delitracker Emulator 0.73-pre6 (Development)
[111] - Virus Update Server 1.3 (Stable)
[112] - vpopmail 5.3.12 (Development)
[113] - w-agora 4.1.5
[114] - WANPIPE beta2-2.2.3 (Beta)
[115] - WAPBlog 0.0.1
[116] - Web components 2.06
[117] - WebGUI 4.9.2
[118] - Webmin Themeconfigurator 0.3a-pre3
[119] - white_dune 0.20beta128 (Development)
[120] - Worm Warner 1.0.10
[121] - XIST 2.1
[122] - xrmap 2.24 (Stable)
[123] - XWine 0.2.4 (Development)
[124] - Yarrow RGTP Web client 1.2.0
[125] - Yet Another Advanced Log Analyzer 0.5.3 (Experimental)
[126] - zmeter 0.1.0

--. - -.--- -.--. ..- --. ---.-  ----- -----.--.-- - . --.--.---.

> > > R E L E A S E   D E T A I L S :::

[001] - A Simple TimeSheet 1.1
  by jostle (http://freshmeat.net/users/jostle/)
  Monday, December 9th 2002 23:30

Office/Business :: Groupware
Office/Business :: Scheduling

About: A Simple TimeSheet (ASTS) allows a group of  people to record the
hours spent working on a  variety of projects. For each project, the hours
 can be divided into a number of different  tasks. There are global
projects and tasks as  well as personal projects and tasks for each  user.

License: Artistic License

                        - %  - %  - % - % -

[002] - AJ's Internet Cafe for LTSP 0.2-r1
  by A.J. Venter (http://freshmeat.net/users/datadictator/)
  Monday, December 9th 2002 06:10

Internet
Utilities

About: AJ's Internet cafe is a full featured and complete open-source
internet cafe system for use with the LTSP thin client solution.

Changes: A minor bug in the source package was fixed. A GUI for the rmuser
command was added.

License: GNU General Public License (GPL)

                        - %  - %  - % - % -

[003] - ALE 0.1.1
  by David Hilvert (http://freshmeat.net/users/dhilvert/)
  Monday, December 9th 2002 03:28

Multimedia :: Graphics :: Capture

About: ALE aligns and merges several similar images from a digitizing
device (such as a digital camera or scanner) into a single image. This may
have the effect of producing a relatively alias-free image (sometimes
called "anti-aliasing").

Changes: In this version, a scaling bug that caused corruption of boundary
pixels has been fixed. Also, the alignment algorithm has been modified to
use reduced detail for coarse alignment steps.

License: GNU General Public License (GPL)

                        - %  - %  - % - % -

[004] - Alist 0.8.2
  by paul farrall (http://freshmeat.net/users/pfarrall/)
  Monday, December 9th 2002 21:54

System
System :: Systems Administration

About: Alist is a program that collects hardware and software information
about systems and stores it in a database for users to browse and search
via a Web interface. The program consists of three parts: a client portion
that collects the information, a daemon that receives data sent from
clients, and a CGI that displays and lets you search for information.
Clients for Solaris, Linux, FreeBsd, OpenBSD, HP-UX, Irix, Windows, and
Mac OS X are currently available.

Changes: automounter information was collected for the Solaris client and
some bugfixes were made.

License: GNU General Public License (GPL)

                        - %  - %  - % - % -

[005] - Allegro 4.1.7 (Development)
  by Grzegorz Adam Hankiewicz (http://freshmeat.net/users/gradha/)
  Monday, December 9th 2002 20:28

Games/Entertainment
Multimedia :: Graphics
Software Development :: Libraries

About: Allegro is a multi-platform game library that provides many
functions for graphics, sounds, player input (keyboard, mouse, and
joystick), and timers. It also provides fixed and floating point
mathematical functions, 3D functions, file management functions,
compressed datafile, and a GUI.

Changes: The joystick initialization routine now correctly handles zero as
the joytype. Fixes were made for the compile-time check for MMX asm
support and the non-MMX asm color copy routine. Synchronization routines
were implemented for the BeOS port, and the set_window_close_* macros were
turned into inline functions. The SGI AL audio driver is now built as a
module on Unix. Fixes were also made for a glitch with autoconf 2.53 on
Unix, and the compilation bug with MinGW.

License: Freely Distributable

                        - %  - %  - % - % -

[006] - Ampoliros 3.1.5
  by Alex Pagnoni (http://freshmeat.net/users/burzmali/)
  Monday, December 9th 2002 02:23

Internet :: WWW/HTTP :: Dynamic Content
Internet :: WWW/HTTP :: Site Management
Software Development :: Libraries :: Application Frameworks

About: Ampoliros is an advanced and easy to use distributed PHP Web
applications platform, featuring a powerful XML-RPC and SOAP interface. It
is suitable as an Internet/Intranet development and deployment system. It
has a very strong modular architecture and allows very fast deployment of
Web solutions.

Changes: This release fixes a wrong installation dependency.

License: GNU General Public License (GPL)

                        - %  - %  - % - % -

[007] - ANT is Not a Telephone 0.0.8
  by Roland Stigge (http://freshmeat.net/users/stigge/)
  Monday, December 9th 2002 16:28

Communications :: Telephony

About: ANT is a telephone application for GNU/Linux, ISDN4Linux, and OSS.

Changes: The "local bind: No such file or directory" and exit with  new
installations on startup problems are fixed now.

License: GNU General Public License (GPL)

                        - %  - %  - % - % -

[008] - BabyChess 13 (Stable)
  by BabyChess (http://freshmeat.net/users/babychess/)
  Monday, December 9th 2002 06:31

Games/Entertainment :: Turn Based Strategy

About: BabyChess is a chess application. It understands PGN (Portable Game
Notation) and FEN (Forsyth-Edwards Notation). It also lets you play chess
against other people through ICS (Internet Chess Server) or against its
built-in chess engine.

Changes: BabyChess was ported to GTK+ 1.2 (from plain XLib). The chess
move notation is now configurable. The board colors (light/dark squares,
last move) are also configurable. The game info editor was added. The list
of legal moves is displayed in the game editor. The chess engine is now
started at a low priority by default. The XBoard engine was rewritten. The
built-in evaluator now plays better.

License: GNU General Public License (GPL)

                        - %  - %  - % - % -

[009] - BASHISH DR7.9
  by arne (http://freshmeat.net/users/arnognulf/)
  Monday, December 9th 2002 13:32

Desktop Environment
Desktop Environment :: Application Themes :: Shells
Software Development :: Libraries :: Application Frameworks

About: Bashish is a theme-engine using bash and other POSIX shells to
customize nearly all aspects of the terminal: title, colors, prompt, font,
background, etc. It has a modular design which makes it easy to add
features (and it does have a lot) while keeping good performance.

Changes: There are console updates. There are fixes in the theme changing
code, number-base, the SSH title, and the MacOS X title. There are many
new themes, including a lot of retro-computer themes, a TCG theme, and a
theme based on the amigashell project.

License: GNU General Public License (GPL)

                        - %  - %  - % - % -

[010] - Between Book's Pages 0.5b2
  by edmz (http://freshmeat.net/users/edmz/)
  Monday, December 9th 2002 19:38

Database :: Front-Ends
Internet :: WWW/HTTP :: Dynamic Content

About: Between Book's Pages (BBPS) is a simple and small PHP/MySQL
application to manage bookmarks on a server. It differs from other such
programs because bookmarks are not stored in folders; instead, each
bookmark can be assigned to an indefinite number of categories.

Changes: This release adds more work towards the first non-beta release. A
fix for a missing file and basic login/logout ability is included.

License: GNU General Public License (GPL)

                        - %  - %  - % - % -

[011] - C++ Portable Types Library (PTypes) 1.7.4
  by Hovik Melikyan (http://freshmeat.net/users/hovik/)
  Monday, December 9th 2002 03:20

Internet :: WWW/HTTP :: HTTP Servers
Software Development
Software Development :: Libraries

About: The C++ Portable Types Library (PTypes) is a simple alternative to
the STL that includes multithreading and networking. It defines dynamic
strings, character sets, variants, lists and other basic data types along
with threads, synchronization and IP sockets. It is portable across modern
Unix and Windows systems and includes a sample HTTP daemon showing the
full power of the library.

Changes: A new class, unit, has been added. Unit is a mini-process with
its own main() and input/output 'plugs'; several unit objects within the
framework of one application can be connected to form pipes, like
processes in the Unix shell. A new method for creating local pipes,
infile::pipe(), has been added. __ptypes_version and the DLL version
resource were not incremented in the previous release. Now they both show
1.7.4.

License: zlib/libpng License

                        - %  - %  - % - % -

[012] - CDPlayer.app 0.2.5
  by Andreas (http://freshmeat.net/users/aheppel/)
  Monday, December 9th 2002 03:21

Multimedia :: Sound/Audio

About: CDPlayer.app is a small CD Audio Player for GNUstep.

Changes: This release adds a preferences view that is called in case the
Nib/Gorm cannot be loaded. AudioCD.bundle can now read the CD's TOC.

License: GNU General Public License (GPL)

                        - %  - %  - % - % -

[013] - cdrecord 2.0pre2
  by Jörg Schilling (http://freshmeat.net/users/schily/)
  Monday, December 9th 2002 06:33

Multimedia :: Sound/Audio :: CD Audio :: CD Ripping
Multimedia :: Sound/Audio :: CD Audio :: CD Writing
System :: Archiving

About: Cdrecord creates home-burned CDs with a CD-R/CD-RW recorder. It
works as a burn engine for several applications. Cdrecord supports CD
recorders from many different vendors; all SCSI-3/mmc and ATAPI/mmc
compliant drives should also work. Supported features include IDE/ATAPI,
parallel-port, and SCSI drives, audio CDs, data CDs, and mixed CDs, full
multi-session support, CD-RWs (rewritable), TAO, DAO and human-readable
error messages. Cdrecord includes remote SCSI support and can access local
or remote CD-writers.

Changes: A bug in mkisofs that resulted in broken filesystem images when
-udf was used and the directory nesting was > 8 was fixed.

License: GNU General Public License (GPL)

                        - %  - %  - % - % -

[014] - Cerberus Test Control System 1.3.0pre8
  by Samuel Flory (http://freshmeat.net/users/samflory/)
  Monday, December 9th 2002 19:42

Software Development :: Testing

About: CTCS (Cerberus Test Control System) consists of a test control
program for running tests, test modules, a test control file generator
designed for running diagnostics, and complete documentation. Originally
developed by VA Linux Systems, it is now being developed independently as
an open-source project. Please read at least README.FIRST before
attempting to use the Cerberus Test Control System as certain
configurations of CTCS may damage your system.

Changes: This is the first maintenance release of CTCS. It includes a fair
amount of general cleanup and fixes all outstanding bugs. It should be
fully functional on any 2.4.x x86-based Linux distribution. It should run
and compile on the Sparc, PPC, and IA64 platforms, though not all tests
are functional.

License: GNU General Public License (GPL)

                        - %  - %  - % - % -

[015] - cfgd snapshot 20021208 (Development)
  by Oliver Schroeder (http://freshmeat.net/users/oschroeder/)
  Monday, December 9th 2002 08:57

Software Development :: Libraries
System :: Installation/Setup
System :: Systems Administration

About: cfgd is a daemon to maintain configuration files. It is designed to
provide a single interface to configurations to all sides which are
involved.  It provides an API for application developers for different
languages and a program for administrators and users to alter all
configurations.

Changes: A usable snapshot of libcfg is available. cfgd and cfg have yet
to be implemented.

License: BSD License

                        - %  - %  - % - % -

[016] - changedfiles 0.9.2.2
  by Michael Welles (http://freshmeat.net/users/stinky/)
  Monday, December 9th 2002 19:34

System :: Archiving
System :: Archiving :: Backup
System :: Archiving :: Mirroring

About: changedfiles is a framework for filesystem replication, security
monitoring, and/or automatic file transformations--essentially any
application where you'd poll files or directories and either do something
to them or send them somewhere else (or both). The difference is, the
kernel tells you when they change, instead of you having to poll. Besides
which, it's an easy real time FTP push mirror to one or multiple sites.
The changedfiles system consists of two parts: a kernel module (works with
Linux kernel versions 2.4 and higher) which reports to a device whenever a
file on the filesystem changes, and a daemon which runs in user space and
can be configured to do almost any action when a change to a file matching
the one of the patterns it looks for is reported. The kernel module is SMP
safe and has been tested on Intel, PowerPC, and Alpha.

Changes: Timeout values are working again. Multiple IGNORE regexps are now
allowed. Queue threading has been improved. Various and sundry autoconf
improvements have been added. Multiple filename arguments are now handled
in FTP transfers for renames. FTP connection pooling has been improved.

License: GNU General Public License (GPL)

                        - %  - %  - % - % -

[017] - Chunky Monkey IRCD 1.0.4b1 (Development)
  by Chris Plant (http://freshmeat.net/users/lloydy/)
  Monday, December 9th 2002 13:38

About: Chunky Monkey IRCD is an Internet Relay Chat daemon coded from
stratch by a team of IRC layabouts. It aims to be stable and featured
enough to be suitable for small-to-medium sized IRC networks.

Changes: Dormant SSL/Encryption code has been activated, and an I/O
abstraction layer has been added. There are lots of minor bugfixes, and
some major bugfixes in the SJOIN and multiple server support.

License: GNU General Public License (GPL)

                        - %  - %  - % - % -

[018] - Coccinella 0.94.2
  by Mats Bengtsson (http://freshmeat.net/users/matben/)
  Monday, December 9th 2002 21:56

Communications :: Conferencing
Communications :: File Sharing

About: Coccinella is a Jabber client with a whiteboard. The whiteboard is
a shared desktop which supports text, drawings, images, and multimedia in
a number of formats, such as MP3 and video. It runs in two main modes, a
peer-to-peer configuration and a mode compatible with the Jabber Instant
Messaging system. A flexible plugin architecture may be used to support
additional formats. It should run on any machine that runs Tcl/Tk.

Changes: This version includes undo and redo functions in the canvas,
localization via message catalogs, a new directory structure for
preferences and the inbox, a changed GUI for Jabber with persistent
address fields, a new canvas file format, a debug console, and numerous
rewrites and bugfixes.

License: GNU General Public License (GPL)

                        - %  - %  - % - % -

[019] - Condorcet with Dual Dropping 4.8 (Development)
  by M Gold (http://freshmeat.net/users/051xmcumxaaqitwosz1g/)
  Monday, December 9th 2002 19:43

Other/Nonlisted Topic

About: Condorcet with Dual Dropping is a vote tabulation and ranking
system for deciding single or multi-winner contests (elections) using
preference or approval ballots. Dual Dropping will compute the Schwartz
Sequential Dropping (SSD) and Tideman's Ranked Pair (RP) results for each
contest round and select the combined SSD and RP contest outcome with the
lowest overall dropping cost. It has options to compute just the SSD or RP
outcome, various optional tie-breakers, and alternative measures of defeat
and dropping cost (winning votes and/or margin).

Changes: This release corrects a problem with ballot2tally.pl nonvoted
pair tallys and with nonvoted pair total output files. --nonvoted_last and
--approval_bonus commands have been added to ballot2tally.pl.

License: GNU General Public License (GPL)

                        - %  - %  - % - % -

[020] - Conexant HCF (controllerless) driver 0.98mbsibeta02110300
  by Ed Avis (http://freshmeat.net/users/epa98/)
  Monday, December 9th 2002 16:23

About: This package contains generic Linux drivers for the  Conexant HCF
(controllerless) modem family used by  many modem and computer system
manufacturers.  They should work on most current Linux distributions,
based on the 2.4.x kernels. Some systems may require  kernel recompilation
with special ACPI patches.

License: GNU General Public License (GPL)

                        - %  - %  - % - % -

[021] - Conexant HSF (softmodem) driver 5.03.03.L3mbsibeta02110301
  by Ed Avis (http://freshmeat.net/users/epa98/)
  Monday, December 9th 2002 16:23

About: This package contains generic Linux drivers for the  Conexant
(formerly Rockwell) Softmodem HSF modem  family, which are used by many
modem and computer  system manufacturers. They should work on most
current Linux distributions, based on the 2.4.x kernels.  A Pentium
processor with the MMX enhancements is  required. Some systems may require
kernel  recompilation with special ACPI patches. Preemptible  kernels are
not yet supported.

License: GNU General Public License (GPL)

                        - %  - %  - % - % -

[022] - Conexant Riptide driver 0.4mbsibeta02110301
  by Ed Avis (http://freshmeat.net/users/epa98/)
  Monday, December 9th 2002 16:23

Multimedia :: Sound/Audio
System :: Hardware

About: This package contains Linux drivers for the Conexant  (Rockwell)
RipTide Audio/Communication Controller  found in RipTide HCF and RipTide
HSF modems. It is an  OSS- compatible sound driver. For the HCF modems
this driver is required as well as the HCF driver. For  HSF modems this
driver is optional to get soundcard  and game port functionality.

License: Free To Use But Restricted

                        - %  - %  - % - % -

[023] - crampass 1.0
  by Peter Eriksson (http://freshmeat.net/users/pen/)
  Monday, December 9th 2002 07:17

Communications :: Email
Security
Utilities

About: crampass is a CRAM MD5 password file update tool which is useful
with the WU IMAP and POP3 daemons. It allows users to update the stored
password without root intervention.

Changes: All major features are operational.

License: Freeware

                        - %  - %  - % - % -

[024] - Cyrus SASL 2.1.10 (SASLv2)
  by Rob Siemborski (http://freshmeat.net/users/robsiemb/)
  Monday, December 9th 2002 13:11

Security
Software Development :: Libraries

About: The Cyrus SASL library is a generic library for easy integration of
secure network authentication to any client or server application. It
supports authentication via standard plaintext methods as well as CRAM-MD5
and DIGEST-MD5 shared secret methods and KERBEROS_V4 and GSSAPI Kerberos
methods. The SASL protocol framework is used by SMTP, IMAP, ACAP, LDAP,
and other standard protocols.

Changes: This version corrects a number of DIGEST-MD5 interoperability
issues, as well as corrects some potential buffer overflows. It is
recommended that all sites using a SASLv2 release upgrade to this version.

License: BSD License

                        - %  - %  - % - % -

[025] - Database Schema Designer 0.3
  by Dan Horak (http://freshmeat.net/users/horakd7/)
  Monday, December 9th 2002 06:42

Database
Software Development

About: Database Schema Designer creates/maintains  schemas for databases
stored in SQL servers. The schemas are stored in XML format. It supports
the following database objects: tables, domains, views, triggers,
procedures, and relations (links).

Changes: It is possible to graphically design relations between entities
and to define referential integrity constraints. It also includes an XSL
transformation that produces SQL commands for PostgreSQL.

License: GNU General Public License (GPL)

                        - %  - %  - % - % -

[026] - dbackup 1.0.1
  by David Parrish (http://freshmeat.net/users/dparrish/)
  Monday, December 9th 2002 19:45

System :: Archiving :: Backup

About: dbackup is a client-server backup system which writes backups to
disk. This method provides fast backups and even faster restores. It
includes a module to archive old backups to tape.

Changes: A fix for a problem with argument handling pulling out
filesystems to back up.

License: GNU General Public License (GPL)

                        - %  - %  - % - % -

[027] - DCP-Portal 1.1 (ProBiz)
  by Serhan Kiymaz (http://freshmeat.net/users/serhank/)
  Monday, December 9th 2002 20:06

Internet :: WWW/HTTP :: Dynamic Content
Internet :: WWW/HTTP :: Indexing/Search
Internet :: WWW/HTTP :: Site Management

About: DCP-Portal is a content management system with  advanced features
like Web-based update, link,  file, member management, poll, calendar,
etc. Its  main features include an admin panel to manage  the entire site,
a smart HTML editor to add news,  content, and annoucements, the ability
for  members to submit news/content and write  reviews, and much more.

License: Shareware

                        - %  - %  - % - % -

[028] - Depression Glass Debug Library 0.22
  by Dimitry Kloper (http://freshmeat.net/users/kloper/)
  Monday, December 9th 2002 13:30

About: Depression Glass Debug (DGD) is a simple, easy-to-use C++ ostream
extension for producing debugging output. DGD is designed to produce nice,
readable, and easy to understand trace logs.

Changes: This release can create multi-file log files. The documentation
has been updated and extended. A few minor bugs were fixed.

  by Emin (http://freshmeat.net/users/emin63/)
  Monday, December 9th 2002 19:45

System :: Archiving :: Backup

About: Since disk drives are cheap, backup should be cheap  too. Of course
it does not help to mirror your data by  adding more disks to your own
computer because a  fire, flood, power surge, etc. could still wipe out
your  local data center. Instead, you should give your files to  peers
(and in return store their files) so that if a  catastrophe strikes your
area, you can recover data  from surviving peers. The Distributed Internet
Backup  System (DIBS) is designed to implement this vision.

License: BSD License

                        - %  - %  - % - % -

[030] - Dnsmasq 1.10
  by Simon Kelley (http://freshmeat.net/users/simonkelley/)
  Monday, December 9th 2002 10:08

Internet :: Name Service (DNS)

About: Dnsmasq is lightweight, easy to configure DNS forwarder designed to
provide DNS (domain name) services to a small network where using BIND
would be overkill. It can be have its upstream DNS servers automatically
configured by PPP or DHCP and it can serve the names of local machines
which are not in the global DNS. It can integrate with the ISC DHCP daemon
to serve the names of local machines which are configured using DHCP.
Dnsmasq is ideal for networks behind NAT routers and connected via modem,
ISDN, ADSL, or cable-modem connections.

Changes: The main addition in this release is implementation of a proper
configuration file. There are new options which give finer control over
upstream server use and better logging. Bugfixes are restricted to a few
very minor issues. The documentation has been expanded and reorganized.

License: GNU General Public License (GPL)

                        - %  - %  - % - % -

[031] - E.A.R. 1.1 (Stable)
  by Murley (http://freshmeat.net/users/murleynet/)
  Monday, December 9th 2002 08:18

Communications :: Email

About: EAR (Email Auto Responder) is a Perl script that auto-responds to
email when a user is on vacation or away. Unlike other auto-responders, it
only needs to be installed once on a system and will work for any number
of virtually-hosted email accounts and domains. It also supports custom
away messages, and doesn't need root privileges.

Changes: A new option to archive spool files was added, and the
documentation was updated.

License: GNU General Public License (GPL)

                        - %  - %  - % - % -

[032] - eject 2.0.13
  by Jeff Tranter (http://freshmeat.net/users/tranter/)
  Monday, December 9th 2002 19:54

Utilities

About: Eject is a program for ejecting removable media under software
control. It can also control the auto-eject feature of some drives and can
be used to switch CDs on an IDE/ATAPI CD changer.

Changes: This release fixes a symlink security vulnerability reported by
SuSE, a security issue in an error message, and a problem with PREFIX in
po/Makefile. It adds German translations and better French translations,
and has been updated with the Debian maintainer's patches.

License: GNU General Public License (GPL)

                        - %  - %  - % - % -

[033] - eMATgine server 1.1 (Stable)
  by M. Beauvais (http://freshmeat.net/users/mbeauvai/)
  Monday, December 9th 2002 03:23

Communications :: Email
Database :: Database Engines/Servers
Internet :: WWW/HTTP

About: The eMATgine server is a multi-protocol server, in which users can
request/receive results with http, ftp, wap, pop3, or smtp connection. It
is a multi-terminal server, so users can use IE, or a wap phone. This
server is a full multi-threaded Java server, using an HSQLDB database to
provide user management.

Changes: In this version, encryption facilities and MySQL are no longer
supported, and bugs have been corrected.

License: GNU General Public License (GPL)

                        - %  - %  - % - % -

[034] - eMATgine service: S1000_download_slave 1.0
  by M. Beauvais (http://freshmeat.net/users/mbeauvai/)
  Monday, December 9th 2002 03:25

Communications :: Email
Communications :: File Sharing
Internet :: File Transfer Protocol (FTP)

About: eMATgine service: S1000_download_slave is a download service
provided to eMATgine server users. eMATgine users can send download
requests by mail, or define their request by HTTP.

Changes: In this release, the project modifies all links and attached
images, and it is now possible to send saved files automatically by email.

License: GNU General Public License (GPL)

                        - %  - %  - % - % -

[035] - Fast Light WRITER 0.0.13
  by oksid (http://freshmeat.net/users/nickasil/)
  Monday, December 9th 2002 08:44

Text Editors :: Word Processors

About: Flwriter is a small WYSIWYG multi-lingual word processor based on
the FLTK library. UTF-8 Xhtml is used as the native file format. It can
export documents to Unicode Rich Text Format. Both right-to-left and
left-to-right words can be entered on the same line.

Changes: Minor changes were made to compile with fltk-utf8-1.1.2.

License: GNU General Public License (GPL)

                        - %  - %  - % - % -

[036] - Fast MD5 Implementation in Java 2.5
  by Tim Macinta (http://freshmeat.net/users/twm/)
  Monday, December 9th 2002 23:30

Software Development :: Libraries :: Java Libraries

About: Fast MD5 Implementation in Java is a heavily  optimized
implementation of the MD5 hashing  algorithm written in Java. It includes
an  optional native method for even greater speed  improvements.

Changes: Optional native method support was added.

License: GNU Lesser General Public License (LGPL)

                        - %  - %  - % - % -

[037] - FIAIF is an Intelligent Firewall 1.4.4
  by Anders Fugmann (http://freshmeat.net/users/fugmann/)
  Monday, December 9th 2002 13:47

System :: Networking :: Firewalls

About: FIAIF is an Intelligent Firewall. It provides a highly customizable
script for setting up an iptables-based firewall. Configuration is done
through one configuration file for each network to which the firewall is
connected. FIAIF supports masquerading, port forwarding, traffic shaping,
and more.

Changes: Reply rules now accepts mixed port specifications, and all
references to empty chains are removed and empty chains deleted to
minimize number of total rules. A problem of when to call user defined
chains has been corrected in this release.

License: GNU General Public License (GPL)

                        - %  - %  - % - % -

[038] - FireHOL R5 v1.36
  by Costa Tsaousis (http://freshmeat.net/users/ktsaou/)
  Monday, December 9th 2002 16:27

Security
System :: Networking :: Firewalls

About: FireHOL is an iptables firewall generator, producing stateful
packet-filtering firewalls. Its goal is to be completely abstracted and
easy to use, audit, and understand. It provides the means to have
consistent and simple firewalls for Linux hosts and routers with any
number of interfaces. It is pre-configured for a large number of services,
and you can configure it to support any service you like. All the services
operate in server, client, and router mode and even complex positive and
negative expressions are handled correctly. It also supports a number of
protections: Packet fragments, new TCP without SYN, ICMP Floods, SYN
Floods, and bad TCP Flags.

Changes: This release fixes a last-minute typing error in 1.35 that  made
all protections generate errors. New  documentation is now available.

License: GNU General Public License (GPL)

                        - %  - %  - % - % -

[039] - floppyfw 1.0.15 (Stable)
  by Thomas ez Lundquist (http://freshmeat.net/users/thomasez/)
  Monday, December 9th 2002 05:55

Security
System :: Networking :: Firewalls

About: floppyfw is a router and simple firewall on one single floppy. It
uses Linux basic firewall capabilities, and has a very simple packaging
system. It is perfect for masquerading and securing networks on ADSL and
cable lines, using both static IP, DHCP, and PPPoE, and provides a simple
installation, which usually involves editing of only one file on the
floppy.

Changes: The kernel was updated to version 2.2.23.

License: Freely Distributable

                        - %  - %  - % - % -

[040] - Fluxbox 0.1.14
  by Henrik Kinnunen (http://freshmeat.net/users/fluxgen/)
  Monday, December 9th 2002 03:32

Desktop Environment
Desktop Environment :: Window Managers

About: Fluxbox is a lightweight and highly configurable window manager
with pwm-like tabs.

Changes: This release focus on bugfixes. It fixes bugs like "openoffice
aborts", antialiasing on start, the interlace effect, and much more. It
also includes vertical text again.

License: MIT/X Consortium License

                        - %  - %  - % - % -

[041] - Free Bangla Fonts 0.75 (Akaash)
  by Sayamindu Dasgupta (http://freshmeat.net/users/unmadindu/)
  Monday, December 9th 2002 13:29

Desktop Environment :: Fonts

About: The Free Bangla Fonts project is a volunteer run project dedicated
for creating Free, high quality, completely Unicode compliant Open Type
Bengali fonts. This project aims to be the central resource for getting
and developing Free Bengali fonts. The initial aim of this project is to
release a full set of Bengali fonts that supports all the major Bengali
Yuktakhars (conjuncts).

Changes: Latin glyphs looks much better. There are major changes in the OT
tables, the conjuncts have been cleaned up and are more organized, a
number of new glyphs have been added, and the font has around 650 glyphs
now. Finally, Akaash now covers all the Bengali code points as defined in
the Unicode specification.

License: GNU General Public License (GPL)

                        - %  - %  - % - % -

[042] - Freedups 0.6.0 (Development)
  by William Stearns (http://freshmeat.net/users/wstearns/)
  Monday, December 9th 2002 21:52

System
System :: Systems Administration
Utilities

About: Freedups searches for identical files in the directories you
specify and hard-links them together, freeing up drive space without
losing performance.

Changes: This release features a rewrite in Perl, the identification of
duplicates without forking, cached MD5 sums, and a drastically improved
algorithm, which is orders of magnitude faster than the bash version.

License: GNU General Public License (GPL)

                        - %  - %  - % - % -

[043] - FreeMarker 2.1.3 (Lazarus)
  by Jonathan Revusky (http://freshmeat.net/users/revusky/)
  Monday, December 9th 2002 08:39

Internet :: WWW/HTTP :: Dynamic Content
Software Development :: Libraries :: Application Frameworks
Software Development :: Libraries :: Java Libraries

About: FreeMarker allows Java servlets to keep graphic design separate
from application logic, by encapsulating HTML in templates. Templates
generate HTML dynamically, using data provided by the servlet. The
template language is powerful and intuitive, the compiler is fast, and the
output approaches the speed of static HTML pages.

Changes: This is a minor bugfix release that addresses some minor glitches
that got into 2.1.2. The cap_first built-in was broken and now works
again. Some issues with JDK 1.4 compatibility in the webapp examples were
fixed.

License: BSD License

                        - %  - %  - % - % -

[044] - gGo 0.3.1
  by Peter Strempel (http://freshmeat.net/users/pstrempel/)
  Monday, December 9th 2002 23:32

Games/Entertainment

About: gGo is a Go board and SGF editor and client for the Internet Go
Server. Go is an ancient board game, very common in Japan, China, and
Korea. gGo was formerly named qGo for Java.

Changes: This release includes several improvements and bugfixes to the
IGS client interface and SGF editor.

License: Free To Use But Restricted

                        - %  - %  - % - % -

[045] - gMUDix 0.10
  by Marko Boomstra (http://freshmeat.net/users/mboomstra/)
  Monday, December 9th 2002 13:35

Games/Entertainment :: Multi-User Dungeons (MUD)

About: gMUDix is an improved version of MUDix, a MUD client for the Linux
console. It is designed to run as an X application, and was developed with
GTK+ 2.0. gMUDix has all the features of MUDix and more, including ANSI
color mapping, aliasing, macros, paths, tab completions, timers, triggers,
variables, and an easy-to-use script language.

Changes: This version fixes a bug in the MCCP handler which did not expand
the receive buffer as expected. This caused the incoming data to pause
during big chunks of data. A new command, #shell, which allows running
commands in a background shell, has been added.

License: GNU General Public License (GPL)

                        - %  - %  - % - % -

[046] - GNOME Clipboard Manager 2.0.3 (Gnome 2)
  by freax (http://freshmeat.net/users/freaxje/)
  Monday, December 9th 2002 13:45

Desktop Environment :: Window Managers
Office/Business
Text Processing

About: Gnome Clipboard Manager is an application made for managing your
selections (clipboards). It will (if this option is set) automatically
fetch new selections, and will push all the targets of that selection to a
shelf. Once collected, it is possible to go back to a previously collected
selection (which is a collection of targets) by selecting it, edit the
targets of your chosen selection, merge them into a new selection on the
shelf from multiple marked selections, and save to and load selected
selections to XML files.

Changes: This release has converting of rich text to HTML targets, some
extra tools (open clipboard in browser), and bugfixes (gcmapplet).

License: GNU General Public License (GPL)

                        - %  - %  - % - % -

[047] - GNOME Clipboard Manager Applet 2.0.3
  by freax (http://freshmeat.net/users/freaxje/)
  Monday, December 9th 2002 13:45

Desktop Environment :: Gnome
Text Processing

About: The GNOME Clipboard Manager Applet is a  Panel applet for
controlling the GNOME  Clipboard Manager daemon from your GNOME  2 Panel.

Changes: Memory bugfixes.

License: GNU General Public License (GPL)

                        - %  - %  - % - % -

[048] - googleware 1.8
  by Pierre Amadio (http://freshmeat.net/users/pamadio/)
  Monday, December 9th 2002 03:08

Internet :: WWW/HTTP :: Indexing/Search

About: Googleware is a little Web application that let you request for
several queries to be regulary asked to Google. You will be notified by
mail each time a new entry is found, and you may browse query results with
any regular Web browser.

Changes: Googleware is now multi-language, and a French translation
included. A preference page has been added. A survey's output may be
classical or Google-like. There is now a Perl script to verify user's
quota before performing a query, and the mail output may show a cached URL
or a raw URL and work with a template system.

License: GNU General Public License (GPL)

                        - %  - %  - % - % -

[049] - GPL Arcade Volleyball 0.6.0
  by Cesare Zavattari (http://freshmeat.net/users/zavatt/)
  Monday, December 9th 2002 03:29

Games/Entertainment :: Arcade

About: GAV (GPL Arcade Volleyball) is an object-oriented multi-platform
Arcade Volleyball clone. It supports multiplayer and theme customization.

Changes: This version includes a redefinition of keys, the ability to
select themes from a menu, non-networked co-operative multiplayer, and
various other minor changes.

License: GNU General Public License (GPL)

                        - %  - %  - % - % -

[050] - GunStamp 1.0-1
  by Trond Solberg (http://freshmeat.net/users/trondsol/)
  Monday, December 9th 2002 16:24

Communications
Scientific/Engineering

About: GunStamp is a program which can be used whenever  accurate
timestamping of events are required. It  syncronizes the computer clock to
an external time  source (a GPS) connected to a serial port, and then use
this clock to timestamp events. The events are received  as positive
pulses (+5v - +15v) connected to the  acknowledge interrupt on the
parallel port. Timestamp  accuracy should be within +/- 15us!

License: GNU General Public License (GPL)

                        - %  - %  - % - % -

[051] - Hashgen 1.0b
  by Vladimir Shiryaev (http://freshmeat.net/users/775608/)
  Monday, December 9th 2002 16:24

Software Development :: Code Generators
Text Processing
Utilities

About: The hashgen utility generates C/C++ source of a  lookup
function/class for a given static keyset  (reserved words of a programming
language,  assembler mnemonics, XML-based language elements,  program
option keywords, etc.). Every keyset entry  contains a unique key and
arbitrary user-defined  atributes associated with that key. The generated
lookup function will find any keyword in constant time  using exactly one
comparison.

License: GNU General Public License (GPL)

                        - %  - %  - % - % -

[052] - Hibernate 1.2 final
  by 1ovthafew (http://freshmeat.net/users/1ovthafew/)
  Monday, December 9th 2002 06:16

Database
Software Development :: Libraries :: Java Libraries

About: Hibernate is a powerful, high performance object/relational
persistence and query service for Java. It lets you develop persistent
objects following common Java idiom, including composition, association,
inheritance, polymorphism, and the Java collections framework. To allow a
rapid build procedure, Hibernate rejects the use of code generation or
bytecode processing. Instead, runtime reflection is used and SQL
generation occurs at system startup time. It supports Oracle, DB2, MySQL,
PostgreSQL, Sybase, Interbase, Microsoft SQL Server, Mckoi SQL, Progress,
SAP DB, and HypersonicSQL.

Changes: A bug in 1.2 rc2 was fixed. Several other minor enhancements were
also made.

  by Victor Liu (http://freshmeat.net/users/ngon/)
  Monday, December 9th 2002 16:24

Multimedia :: Sound/Audio

About: HighPriest is a music jukebox system for Linux. It is  geared
towards high configurability of playback. If you  want control over how
one track crossfades into  another, or you want to specify track start and
end  points, or you hate having to repeatedly adjust the  volume knob,
then this application may be for you. It  also supports many usual
features of software jukebox  systems, such as custom playlists, random
shuffling of  tracks, the organization of songs according to category,
etc. Although geared for a high level of tweakability,  you may not feel
like adjusting a bunch of playback  parameters, so simply choosing many
playback defaults  will give you a nice, crossfading jukebox system.

License: GNU General Public License (GPL)

                        - %  - %  - % - % -

[054] - HTML Converter 2.0
  by Nikita Zhuk (http://freshmeat.net/users/Sathamoth/)
  Monday, December 9th 2002 19:55

Internet :: WWW/HTTP :: Site Management
Text Processing :: Markup :: HTML

About: HTML Converter is a free utility for converting special  characters
to corresponding HTML character codes (for  example '©' -> '©' or '"'
->  '"') in HTML, PHP, and ASP files. These  character codes are
required by Web browsers for  displaying special characters correctly. It
will also  handle correctly JavaScript and Cascading Style Sheet  code. It
is native Mac OS X application, but it's engine  is written in pure ANSI C
and is available as open  source.

License: Other/Proprietary License with Source

                        - %  - %  - % - % -

[055] - HTML::GenToc 2.01
  by Kathryn Andersen (http://freshmeat.net/users/kat/)
  Monday, December 9th 2002 03:31

Text Processing :: Markup :: HTML

About: HTML::GenToc allows you to specify significant elements that will
be hyperlinked to in a Table of Contents (ToC) for a given set of HTML
documents. Also, it does not require said documents to be strict HTML;
this makes it suitable for using with templates, included files, and
meta-languages such as WML or PHP.

Changes: With this version, the module is no longer dependent on the
AppConfig module. All methods can now take the standard
arguments-as-a-hash as well as the old original reference-to-an-array. Now
the hypertoc script is part of the distribution instead of having to be
downloaded and installed separately.

License: GNU General Public License (GPL)

                        - %  - %  - % - % -

[056] - IP MASQ GG 1.0pre3
  by Jakub Piedel (http://freshmeat.net/users/qQBic/)
  Monday, December 9th 2002 16:28

Communications :: Chat
System :: Operating System Kernels :: Linux

About: ip_masq_gg is a Linux 2.2 masquerading module for a  Polish
ICQ-like communication program called  Gadu-Gadu. This module enables
direct connections for  workstations behind masquerading firewalls.

License: GNU General Public License (GPL)

                        - %  - %  - % - % -

[057] - ircGraph 0.6.7 (Stable)
  by Ricardo Sartori (http://freshmeat.net/users/sartori/)
  Monday, December 9th 2002 23:18

Communications :: Chat :: Internet Relay Chat

About: ircGraph is a Perl script that connects to an IRC server to get
statistics via the /lusers command. It then puts the stats in an RRD
(Round Robin Database) file and generates graphics about the server and
the IRC network using RRDTool. It was created to help ircadmins visualize
and understand the traffic on their ircservers and in the IRC network.

Changes: This release supports a resposes directive for specifying a
directory that contains the regexp used to fetch data, as well as
password, opernick, and operpass for servers that require authentication,
and onconnectfile, which points to a file that contains IRC commands to
execute upon connection. A bug in the endprog() function was fixed, some
more debugging messages were added, and log files are now timestamped.
Some minor bugs were also fixed, and a TODO file and more documentation
were added.

License: GNU General Public License (GPL)

                        - %  - %  - % - % -

[058] - irCstats 0.01
  by ed (http://freshmeat.net/users/zehome/)
  Monday, December 9th 2002 16:26

Communications :: Chat
Internet :: Log Analysis

About: irCstats is an irc statistics generator written from  irssistats in
C.

  by Jacek Konieczny (http://freshmeat.net/users/jajcus/)
  Monday, December 9th 2002 03:28

Communications :: Chat

About: The Jabber Gadu-Gadu transport provides Gadu-Gadu protocol support
(which is a very popular proprietary instant messaging protocol in
Poland).

Changes: In this release, the code was updated for the recent libgadu
release. Two bugs which could crash jggtrans and many memory leaks were
fixed. A problem with adding GG contacts in some clients should now be
fixed, and searching works again. New features include the ability to
check the IP address of an active GaduGadu user in a contact list.

License: GNU General Public License (GPL)

                        - %  - %  - % - % -

[060] - Java Development Environment for Emacs 2.3.1
  by Carsten Frewert (http://freshmeat.net/users/frewert/)
  Monday, December 9th 2002 19:56

Software Development
Software Development :: Code Generators
Software Development :: Debuggers

About: Java Development Environment for Emacs (JDEE) is an Emacs-based
integrated development environment (IDE) for developing Java applications
and applets. Features include multiple code browsers, a JPDA-based
debugger, method and field completion, template-based and procedure-based
code generation, Java source code interpreter, context-sensitive help, and
more.

Changes: Many enhancements and fixes.

License: GNU General Public License (GPL)

                        - %  - %  - % - % -

[061] - Java iCal Group Scheduler 1.1.1
  by Stuart Guthrie (http://freshmeat.net/users/stuartguthrie/)
  Monday, December 9th 2002 03:13

Internet :: WWW/HTTP
Office/Business :: Groupware
Office/Business :: News/Diary

About: Java iCal Group Scheduler enables several users to get together for
a meeting, by using JICAL to translate their iCalendar files into their
available free/busy time and post it automatically to your Web server.
This project enables Ximian Evolution desktop users to book meetings with
each other (and Outlook users) via a Web server storing their 'Free/Busy'
information as specified in RFC2445.

Changes: This release enables users to use the calendars created in
Evolution to make HTML, PDF, and XML files from the data therein. It also
adds a shell script capability to JiCal so that sysadmins not familiar
with Jboss can automate all processes as required with Cron or event
shells around Evolution.

License: GNU Lesser General Public License (LGPL)

                        - %  - %  - % - % -

[062] - Java Serialization to XML 1.0.7.0
  by Brendan Macmillan (http://freshmeat.net/users/yow/)
  Monday, December 9th 2002 06:00

Communications
Database
Software Development

About: Java Serialization to XML allows data to be exported out of Java
and into another module, language, or place using XML and one line of
code. It can be used to glue together disparate components, integrate
legacy systems, and overcome impedence mismatches, and has been deployed
in many commercial applications.

Changes: serialPersistentFields are now handled in perfect accordance with
Java Object Serialization for defaultWriteObject and defaultReadObject.
This enables one of the techniques for handling class evolution in
Serialization.

License: GNU General Public License (GPL)

                        - %  - %  - % - % -

[063] - JDebugTool 2.6
  by debugtools (http://freshmeat.net/users/debugtools/)
  Monday, December 9th 2002 13:56

Software Development :: Debuggers

About: JDebugTool is a standalone Java debugger built on top of the
standard JPDA (Java Platform Debugger Architecture). It features a
graphical and intuitive Java Swing GUI, and integrated Java Help.

Changes: This release implements a dialog showing memory usage and a
dialog showing properties.

License: Shareware

                        - %  - %  - % - % -

[064] - JMP 0.23
  by Ernimril (http://freshmeat.net/users/ernimril/)
  Monday, December 9th 2002 13:58

Software Development
Software Development :: Debuggers
Software Development :: Libraries

About: Java Memory Profiler (JMP) uses the JVMPI interface to track
objects and method times in the JVM (Java Virtual Machine). It uses a GTK+
interface to display statistics. The current instance count and the total
amount of memory for each class is shown as is the total time spent in
each method.

Changes: This update tries to handle thread syncronization on data
structures correctly. The result is that it now is fairly stable even when
profiling methods.There are minor updates to handle objects that have been
garbage collected but heap dump structures still have references to them.

License: GNU General Public License (GPL)

                        - %  - %  - % - % -

[065] - KDE Interactive Geometry 0.3
  by frit (http://freshmeat.net/users/frit/)
  Monday, December 9th 2002 19:35

About: KDE Interactive Geometry (KIG) is a program for use in math classes
in high school, much like KGeo, KSeg, Dr. Geo, and Cabri. It allows
students to interactively explore geometric concepts.

Changes: This release adds great conic support, flexible text labels, UI
improvements, a new Web site, and documentation updates.

License: GNU General Public License (GPL)

                        - %  - %  - % - % -

[066] - Kernel Mode Linux 2.5.51_001 (For Linux 2.5)
  by Toshiyuki Maeda (http://freshmeat.net/users/tosh/)
  Monday, December 9th 2002 23:12

System :: Operating System Kernels
System :: Operating System Kernels :: Linux

About: Kernel Mode Linux is a technology which enables the execution of
user programs in a kernel mode. In Kernel Mode Linux, user programs can
access kernel address space directly. Unlike kernel modules, user programs
are executed as ordinary processes (except for their privilege level), so
scheduling and paging are performed as usual. Although it seems dangerous,
the safety of the kernel can be ensured through such methods as static
type checking, software fault isolation, and so forth.

Changes: This version has been merged with the 2.5.51 Linux kernel.

  by Gerard Juyn (http://freshmeat.net/users/gjuyn/)
  Monday, December 9th 2002 16:26

Multimedia :: Graphics
Multimedia :: Graphics :: Editors
Multimedia :: Graphics :: Presentation

About: libmng is the reference library for MNG, the animation extension to
the popular PNG format. It provides powerful animation features combined
with PNG's robustness and patent freedom.

Changes: This fixes a couple of small bugs, fixes most of the  problems
around the goxxxx() routines, and adds  support to turn off caching within
the file for streaming  MNG such as in gserver. This may be the last
candidate  before the final 1.0.5 release, which offers a host of  new
internal code to support nearly 100% of the official  MNG spec, plus a
bunch of other goodies.

License: zlib/libpng License

                        - %  - %  - % - % -

[068] - libsgml 1.1.2 (Stable)
  by Matt Miller (http://freshmeat.net/users/millerm/)
  Monday, December 9th 2002 02:17

Software Development
Software Development :: Libraries
Text Processing :: Markup

About: libsgml is a fast, lightweight state machine SGML parser capable of
parsing HTML, XML, and most other markup languages in their most
elementary forms. It natively supports parsing HTML and XML documents into
a tree format (DOM). All other markup languages may be parsed via a system
of callbacks.

Changes: This release adds variant type manipulation for setting/getting
element attributes and node values along with an example for how to do so.

  by Erik de Castro Lopo (http://freshmeat.net/users/erikde/)
  Monday, December 9th 2002 02:17

Multimedia :: Sound/Audio
Multimedia :: Sound/Audio :: Conversion
Software Development :: Libraries

About: libsndfile is a C library for reading and writing sound files such
as AIFF, AU, WAV, and others through one standard interface. It can
currently read/write 8, 16, 24 and 32-bit PCM files as well as 32 and
64-bit floating point WAV files and a number of compressed formats. It
compiles and runs on *nix, MacOS, and Win32.

Changes: This version includes a fix for IA64 Linux and some extra sanity
checking in sf_open().

  by ZlatkO (http://freshmeat.net/users/zlatko/)
  Monday, December 9th 2002 16:28

System :: Operating System Kernels :: Linux

About: Linux is a clone of the Unix kernel, written from scratch by Linus
Torvalds with assistance from a loosely-knit team of hackers across the
Net. It aims towards POSIX and Single UNIX Specification compliance. It
has all the features you would expect in a modern fully-fledged Unix
kernel, including true multitasking, virtual memory, shared libraries,
demand loading, shared copy-on-write executables, proper memory
management, and TCP/IP networking.

License: GNU General Public License (GPL)

                        - %  - %  - % - % -

[071] - Linux Napster Client 1.5.1
  by Peter Selinger (http://freshmeat.net/users/selinger/)
  Monday, December 9th 2002 03:09

Communications :: File Sharing :: Napster

About: Linux Napster Client is one of the oldest Napster  clients
available. It is a fully-featured Napster  client with a text-based
interface. Linux Napster  Client runs under Linux, OpenBSD, FreeBSD, and
Cygwin32.

Changes: This release fixes an incompatibility with Slavanap 2.3.0, which
caused the program to always return "0 search results". Some new search
options were added, including keyword exclusions. The library building
code was made more efficient. The list of shared files is now sent to the
server in the background, reducing waiting times. Filename masquerading
was added. A problem was fixed with downloads that got stuck at "100%". A
man page was added, and several minor bugs were fixed.

License: BSD License

                        - %  - %  - % - % -

[072] - Magick IRC Services 2.0rc1
  by Preston A. Elder (http://freshmeat.net/users/prez/)
  Monday, December 9th 2002 03:27

Communications :: Chat :: Internet Relay Chat

About: Magick IRC Services is a set of programs made for the IRC protocol
(RFC 1459). They are designed to allow users to register and keep their
nicknames and channels, send messages to other users, and allow IRC
Operators and Admins more control and flexability over the entire network.

Changes: This version includes many fixes, the biggest of which being that
it no longer seems to core. Upgrading is recommended for all users.

License: Artistic License

                        - %  - %  - % - % -

[073] - Mail Master 1.10
  by Ken Biggs (http://freshmeat.net/users/KenBiggs/)
  Monday, December 9th 2002 06:58

Communications :: Email
Communications :: Email :: Filters

About: Mail Master is a full distributed management interface integrating
sendmail, SpamAssassin, horde, and Open Anti-virus. It includes unlimited
users, integrated anti-virus, user configurable spam-filter, a Web mail
interface, disk quotas, custom sendmail setup, POP3, IMAP, and multi-level
management (lets domain administrators and users manage their mail
settings).

Changes: Tantalus has been integrated into Mail Master. Tantalus is an
anti-spam Sendmail milter that keeps bulk emailers from guessing usernames
by rejecting servers that guess a configurable number of invalid users
within a configurable amount of time. Tantalus options were added to the
system configuration screen, including host deny/accept override, count
settings for failed username guesses for full domains and TLDs, and length
of time to deny spam mail servers. Usernames > 32 characters are now
allowed (up to 100 char). Clamscan was updated to 0.54.

License: Other/Proprietary License

                        - %  - %  - % - % -

[074] - Matrox Millennium II Xv extension 0.1
  by gorlik (http://freshmeat.net/users/gorlik/)
  Monday, December 9th 2002 19:32

Multimedia :: Video :: Display
System :: Hardware

About: This is an XFree86 driver to add Xv (Xvideo) support for  the
Matrox Millennium II. It includes hardware  YUV->RGB conversion and
up/down scaling.  Performance is not stellar compared to modern cards  but
it's enough to allow smooth fullscreen DVD  playback on a moderately fast
computer (P3-933).

Changes: Full hardware YUV-to-RGB conversion and horizontal upscaling is
supported by this release. Vertical scaling is implemented in software.
There may still be a few problems with downscaling and clipping.

License: MIT/X Consortium License

                        - %  - %  - % - % -

[075] - Menstruation calendar 2.1
  by C. McCohy (http://freshmeat.net/users/mccohy/)
  Monday, December 9th 2002 07:03

Scientific/Engineering :: Medical Science Apps.

About: Mencal is a simple variation of the well-known Unix command cal.
The main difference is that you can have some periodically repeating days
highlighted in color. This can be used to track menstruation (or other)
cycles conveniently.

Changes: A bug in which some months were not printed if '-3' was used has
been fixed. Counting menstruation days was optimized.

License: GNU General Public License (GPL)

                        - %  - %  - % - % -

[076] - MenuConvert_SystemToE 0.1.4
  by Andrew R. Proper (http://freshmeat.net/users/Proper/)
  Monday, December 9th 2002 20:16

Desktop Environment :: Window Managers :: Enlightenment

About: MenuConvert_SystemToE is a Perl program which searches the file
system for KDE and Gnome menus, and creates an Enlightenment sub-menu
containing all of the menus it has found in the system.

Changes: Support for the GNOME 2 applications directory, and a fix for a
potential bug with finding username in the system by adding a check for
failure and another method of getting the username.

License: GNU General Public License (GPL)

                        - %  - %  - % - % -

[077] - MetaL meta-programming language 2002.12.10
  by Manuel Lemos (http://freshmeat.net/users/mlemos/)
  Monday, December 9th 2002 23:12

Software Development :: Compilers

About: MetaL is a meta-programming language that works by generating
source code in a target language from a program specification in a higher
level language. MetaL programs are based on XML. The compiler engine
generates programs in potentially any target language - PHP, Java, and
Perl are currently supported.

Changes: The persistence layer generator module is now fully capable of
outputting UML diagrams for the classes. Support for managing collections
of related objects and validating them was added, and calls to strtok()
were replaced with an emulation function due to changes in PHP 4.1.

License: BSD License

                        - %  - %  - % - % -

[078] - Metastorage 2002.12.09
  by Manuel Lemos (http://freshmeat.net/users/mlemos/)
  Monday, December 9th 2002 06:40

Database
Software Development :: Code Generators

About: Metastorage is a persistence layer generator application based on
the persistence module of the MetaL compiler engine. It is capable of
generating the necessary software components to implement a persistence
layer API from a description in a format based on XML named Component
Persistence Markup Language (CPML). A CPML definition describes classes of
objects with the functions that will make the API to store and retrieve
their objects from persistence storage containers like relational
databases without requiring the developer to write SQL manually. The
generated API may also contain a class to install the database schema. All
code is generated without the need for the developer to write SQL code
manually. Metastorage also generates UML Entity-Relationship graphs of the
component class diagram. Currently, Metastorage can only generate PHP
code, but future versions should allow for other languages.

Changes: This version can automatically generate UML Entity-Relationship
graphs of the component class diagrams.

License: BSD License

                        - %  - %  - % - % -

[079] - Millstone 3.0.0
  by Joonas Lehtinen (http://freshmeat.net/users/phoe/)
  Monday, December 9th 2002 03:14

Internet
Internet :: WWW/HTTP
Internet :: WWW/HTTP :: Dynamic Content

About: Millstone is a user interface library for development of Internet
applications with Java. It provides a terminal independent component model
that can be adapted to different terminal types and user interface themes.
The development model of Millstone is closely related to traditional
client side UI development: it has a continuous application lifecycle and
an extensive event model. The Millstone library also provides an interface
for directly connecting UI components to business logic and data storage.

Changes: This release enhances the feature browser application to include
examples of most of the Millstone components and features, implements
support for non-Javascript browsers in the default theme, and includes
bugfixes and updates to the Base and Web Adapter packages.

License: GNU Lesser General Public License (LGPL)

                        - %  - %  - % - % -

[080] - mod_security 1.3b
  by Ivan Ristic (http://freshmeat.net/users/ivanrristic/)
  Monday, December 9th 2002 13:44

Internet :: WWW/HTTP :: HTTP Servers

About: Mod_security is an Apache module whose purpose is to protect
vulnerable applications and reject human or automated attacks. In addition
to filtering requests, it also can create Web application audit logs.
Requests are filtered using regular expressions. Mod_security can analyse
POST payloads, unlike other similar projects.

Changes: Selective filtering has been introduced. You can now filter
requests based on the contents of individual variables (HTTP headers,
environment variables, and individual script arguments) coming either from
GET or POST. Inverted filters have also been added, and there are a few
bugfixes.

License: BSD License

                        - %  - %  - % - % -

[081] - monfarm 1.0.0
  by Tevfik Karagulle (http://freshmeat.net/users/tevfik/)
  Monday, December 9th 2002 14:15

About: Monfarm is an alarm-enabled monitoring system for  server farms. It
produces dynamically updated HTML status pages showing the availability of
servers. Alarms are generated if servers become unavailable.

Changes: This is the initial release of monfarm. It supports ping and
Metaframe monitoring. Alarms can be sent as network messages or as email
messages.

License: GNU General Public License (GPL)

                        - %  - %  - % - % -

[082] - MP3do 4.0-rc10
  by Stefano Falsetto (http://freshmeat.net/users/stefko/)
  Monday, December 9th 2002 02:22

Multimedia :: Sound/Audio :: Capture/Recording
Multimedia :: Sound/Audio :: CD Audio
Multimedia :: Sound/Audio :: CD Audio :: CD Playing

About: MP3do is an "all in one" bash script. It is useful for decoding and
mastering audio files. It can decode a list of MP3 or Ogg Vorbis files to
WAV or CD-R, auto-convert poor quality MP3s to 44100Hz stereo, check
whether all files fit on a CD, normalize all WAV files (adjust the volume
to a standard volume level), and burn a CD.

Changes: This version includes many bugfixes, plus a new conversion system
to allow mono to stereo conversion. There is better handling of non-root
users, and a check for a CD in the tray was added to the cdda2wav plugin.

License: GNU General Public License (GPL)

                        - %  - %  - % - % -

[083] - MPlayer 0.90-rc1
  by A'rpi/ESP-team (http://freshmeat.net/users/arpi/)
  Monday, December 9th 2002 08:22

Multimedia :: Video :: Conversion
Multimedia :: Video :: Display

About: MPlayer is a movie and animation player that supports a wide range
of codecs and file formats, including MPEG 1/2/4, DivX 3/4/5, Windows
Media 7/8/9, RealAudio/Video up to 9, Quicktime 5/6, and Vivo 1/2. It has
many MMX/SSE(2)/3Dnow(Ex) optimized native audio and video codecs, but
allows using XAnim's and RealPlayer's binary codec plugins, and Win32
codec DLLs. It has basic VCD/DVD playback functionality, including DVD
subtitles, but supports many text-based subtitle formats too. For video
output, nearly every existing interface is supported. It's also able to
convert any supported files to raw/divx/mpeg4 AVI (pcm/mp3 audio), and
even video grabbing from V4L devices.

Changes: This version introduces support for Win32 QuickTime codec plugin
DLLs, and thus Sorenson 3 video and Qclp, QDMC 1/2 audio. This version
also contains Win32/DMO interface support, making Windows Media 9 files
playable, even 6ch WMA9. The codec packs have been extended and split, and
support for MJPEG 2000 codecs was introduced. Fast HuffYUV en/decoding
support was added to libavcodec. A new commandline and config-file parser
engine was introduced, and a preview version of the OSD menu system is
included. Some GUI GTK code was cleaned up, and the cache bug was fixed.
Several small fixes were made, including subtitles and screensaver
problems.

License: GNU General Public License (GPL)

                        - %  - %  - % - % -

[084] - Node Runner 0.5.2
  by Brad Fears (http://freshmeat.net/users/ddgenius/)
  Monday, December 9th 2002 13:11

System :: Logging
System :: Networking :: Monitoring
System :: Systems Administration

About: Node Runner is a PHP network monitor designed to contact nodes in a
specific order based on the description of the node. If a node does not
respond, each of its dependencies are systematically checked until the
problem is isolated. Node Runner uses a shell script for its basic network
polling, a PHP web interface for node information, reports, etc., and
utilizes abstraction layers for database support.

Changes: Node Runner is now compatible with installations of PHP that have
'register_globals' turned off. Minor cosmetic changes, bugfixes, and
security enhancements were made to the Web interface.

License: GNU General Public License (GPL)

                        - %  - %  - % - % -

[085] - Perl Object Environment 0.24 (Stable)
  by Rocco Caputo (http://freshmeat.net/users/dngor/)
  Monday, December 9th 2002 13:57

Software Development :: Libraries :: Perl Modules
Software Development :: Pre-processors
Utilities

About: POE (Perl Object Environment) is a framework for creating
multitasking, state-driven programs. It is very good for networking
applications, but it is not limited to that.

Changes: This release includes several bugfixes and features, and a major
restructuring to enable future scalability enhancements.

License: Perl License

                        - %  - %  - % - % -

[086] - PerlBill 2.02 (Stable)
  by John B (http://freshmeat.net/users/PerlDesk/)
  Monday, December 9th 2002 19:40

Communications :: Email

About: PerlBill is a client management product which features a built-in
tracking system, management of email communications, automatic invoicing,
and client records.

Changes: This release includes expanded billing capabilities and a much
better GUI.

License: Other/Proprietary License

                        - %  - %  - % - % -

[087] - PHP SQL Replicator 0.7
  by Eric Binger (http://freshmeat.net/users/ebinger/)
  Monday, December 9th 2002 19:48

Database :: Front-Ends

About: phpSqlReplicator provides database replication across SQL servers.
It only supports MySQL, but other databases (ORACLE, Sybase, etc.) are
planned in the future. It retrieves databases and tables structures from
the original server and clones them (via SQL statements) to a target
server.

Changes: Showing 'synchronized' or 'not synchronized' based on records
numbers of each table, a new variable in replicator.inc ($showmaster),
enabling of master database display (disabled by default), calculation of
an estimated time for database replication, some design improvements, and
minor bugfixes.

License: Free for non-commercial use

                        - %  - %  - % - % -

[088] - phpFormGenerator 2.03 (Stable)
  by Musawir Ali (http://freshmeat.net/users/musawirali/)
  Monday, December 9th 2002 19:39

Communications :: Email
Internet :: WWW/HTTP :: Dynamic Content
Internet :: WWW/HTTP :: Site Management

About: phpFormGenerator is an easy-to-use tool to create  reliable and
efficient web forms. No programming of any sort is required. It has the
ability to create up to 100 form fields, and to add a variety of field
types including text boxes, drop down selection menus, check boxes, radio
buttons, and freeform text areas. All field types are highly customizable.
The form data can be sent to a provided email address, or stored in a
database table (currently MySQL).

Changes: This release adds the long-awaited fix for the newer versions of
PHP extensions. This fix implements the workaround for the new default
setting of the global_registers field.

License: GNU General Public License (GPL)

                        - %  - %  - % - % -

[089] - phpGIS V1R6
  by jim burnett (http://freshmeat.net/users/hiddenidentity/)
  Monday, December 9th 2002 19:29

Scientific/Engineering :: Visualization

About: phpGIS is a set of PHP scripts that uses the  MapServer
PHP/MapScript libaries to provide a  full GIS system with the ability to
select layers,  display aerial photos, link to databases (currently only
MySQL), and show geographic  information. It is compatible with ESRI shape
 files.

Changes: This release adds demo data, demo config files, minor code fixes,
and a precompiled php_mapscript.so module.

License: Free for non-commercial use

                        - %  - %  - % - % -

[090] - phpWebThings 0.6test4 (Development)
  by Paulo Assis (http://freshmeat.net/users/ottani/)
  Monday, December 9th 2002 21:53

Internet :: WWW/HTTP :: Dynamic Content

About: phpWebThings is a set of PHP classes for creating a cool Web site
with user login, news, forum, user messages, downloads, FAQs, and more. It
allows the Webmaster to create his own site with freedom, using only the
features he wants, and allowing new features to be added easily.

Changes: This release fixes several problems with the HTML and CSS code,
and includes a revised theme engine. Modules now can have themes. The
forum was also complete revised.

License: GNU General Public License (GPL)

                        - %  - %  - % - % -

[091] - pipemeter 0.8
  by SpamapS (http://freshmeat.net/users/spamaps/)
  Monday, December 9th 2002 23:10

System :: Systems Administration
Utilities

About: pipemeter is a command line utility that displays the speed and, if
possible, progress, of data moving from its input to its output.

Changes: New code was including for automatically adjust the block size in
an attempt to extract more performance. Some bugfixes and cleanups were
also made.

License: GNU General Public License (GPL)

                        - %  - %  - % - % -

[092] - Postfix 1.1.12-20021209 (Development)
  by Patrick Lenz (http://freshmeat.net/users/scoop/)
  Monday, December 9th 2002 23:14

Communications :: Email :: Mail Transport Agents

About: Postfix is an attempt to provide an alternative to the widely-used
Sendmail program. Postfix attempts to be fast, easy to administer, and
hopefully secure, while at the same time being sendmail compatible enough
to not upset your users.

Changes: The SMTP server now rejects mail for unknown local recipients by
default, and a table for all known relay_domains destinations can be
specified so that the server can reject mail for unknown relay recipients.
Easier configuration with address domain classes has been introduced
(local, virtual alias, virtual mailbox, and relay), where each class has
its own delivery transport, table of known recipients, and list of
domains. Regular expression support in alias maps and virtual mailbox maps
has also been added.

License: IBM Public License

                        - %  - %  - % - % -

[093] - pushmail 0.3
  by Timo Benk (http://freshmeat.net/users/tbenk/)
  Monday, December 9th 2002 03:16

Communications :: Email :: Mail Transport Agents

About: pushmail aims to be the opposite of fetchmail. It can be used to
push email messages to an SMTP server without the need of configuring the
local MTA.

Changes: In this release, Italian translations, POP3 authentication
support, IMAP authentication support, and the SMTP authentication
mechanisms CRAM-MD5, CRAM-SHA1, PLAIN, and LOGIN were added.

  by Bill Allie (http://freshmeat.net/users/bgallie/)
  Monday, December 9th 2002 02:23

Database :: Front-Ends
Software Development :: Libraries

About: pyPgSQL is a package of two modules that provide a Python DB-API
2.0 compliant interface to PostgreSQL databases. The first module, libpq,
exports the PostgreSQL C API to Python. This module is written in C, and
can be compiled into Python, or can be dynamically loaded on demand. The
second module, PgSQL, provides the DB-API 2.0 compliant interface, and
support for various PostgreSQL data types, such as INT8, NUMERIC, MONEY,
BOOL, ARRAYS, BYTEA, etc. This module is written in Python, and works with
PostgreSQL 7.0 or later, and Python 2.0 or later. Use of Python 2.1 or
later, and PostgreSQL 7.1 or later is highly recommended. NB: pyPgSQL was
previously released under the name 'PgSQL'.

Changes: This version includes support for PostgreSQL 7.3 2, UNICODE, and
PostgreSQL reference cursors. The build process was improved, and should
now build 'out of the box' on most popular systems. There is also improved
support for the PostgreSQL NUMERIC type, and there were various bugfixes.

License: Python License

                        - %  - %  - % - % -

[095] - qpsmtpd 0.20
  by Ask Bjoern Hansen (http://freshmeat.net/users/ask/)
  Monday, December 9th 2002 06:05

Communications :: Email
Communications :: Email :: Filters
Communications :: Email :: Mail Transport Agents

About: qpsmtpd is a plugin driven, object-oriented qmail-smtpd written in
Perl. Its features include tools to avoid accepting mails that have to
bounce anyway, and a fancy object oriented system for extension plugins.
Most functionality is implemented in simple plugins.

Changes: Various bugfixes were made. Several options were added to the
spamassassin plugin. A ClamAV plugin was added. An http_config plugin was
added, which is an example plugin that uses the new config hook to provide
configuration information.

License: MIT/X Consortium License

                        - %  - %  - % - % -

[096] - Reqwireless WebViewer 1.8
  by Reqwireless (http://freshmeat.net/users/Reqwireless/)
  Monday, December 9th 2002 19:39

Internet :: WWW/HTTP :: Browsers

About: Reqwireless WebViewer is a Web browser for J2ME  MIDP devices. With
support for HTML along with GIF  and JPEG images, WebViewer gives access
to the real  Web instead of WAP or Compact HTML.

Changes: This version adds minor bugfixes and support for the Sanyo 5300.

License: Shareware

                        - %  - %  - % - % -

[097] - ReqwirelessWeb 1.8
  by Reqwireless (http://freshmeat.net/users/Reqwireless/)
  Monday, December 9th 2002 21:39

Software Development :: Embedded Systems
Software Development :: Libraries :: Java Libraries

About: ReqwirelessWeb is a class library for fetching and  rendering Web
pages on J2ME MIDP devices.  ReqwirelessWeb is built to handle real-world
Web  pages rather than WAP or Compact HTML. It  supports HTML (including
forms and image maps)  along with GIF, JPEG, and PNG images.

Changes: This version adds important workarounds for problems on the Nokia
3410, Nokia 7210, RIM BlackBerry, Sanyo 4900, and Sanyo 5300.

License: Other/Proprietary License with Free Trial

                        - %  - %  - % - % -

[098] - rsync-backup 0.2.4 (Development)
  by William Stearns (http://freshmeat.net/users/wstearns/)
  Monday, December 9th 2002 21:41

System :: Archiving :: Backup
Utilities

About: rsync-backup automates the process of backing up multiple systems
to one or more backup servers. It focuses on making the process secure. It
encrypts the backup going across the wire, only ships changed data, runs
the server as root to preserve permissions and ownership, keeps people
from seeing each other's backups, and doesn't require the server to trust
any files sent from the clients. It doesn't ship password files, key
files, nor other sensitive files across the wire, but backs them up
locally instead. Admins may use one key for everyone (backups named after
the client IP) or allow named backups (when a machine may change IP or
when multiple independant backups may need to be made from one machine).

Changes: Bugfixes, additional and improved documentation, and separate
daily and weekly maintenance scripts.

License: GNU General Public License (GPL)

                        - %  - %  - % - % -

[099] - RxLinux 1.2.1
  by Jean Laganiere (http://freshmeat.net/users/jeanlaganiere/)
  Monday, December 9th 2002 13:28

Desktop Environment :: Window Managers :: Blackbox
System :: Clustering/Distributed Networks
Terminals :: Terminal Emulators/X Terminals

About: Rxlinux is a modular system. The base system fits in 25M of
RAMdisk. Extra packages (software) can be installed on demand in RAMdisk.
The /var partition which contains the application data can reside either
on a hard disk or in RAMdisk. Rxlinux can be configure as a Web server, an
X11 terminal, a database server, an openmosix cluster node, etc. It is
distributed as a 10M bootable ISO file. You can configure it to include
more packages in the ISO if you don’t want to download extra software at
boot time.

Changes: The rxmaster interface will now save the HTML form status between
sessions. This way, it is easier to edit software configuration for a
specific node. The openMosix package was broken and has been fixed. Some
code cleanup has also been done.

License: GNU General Public License (GPL)

                        - %  - %  - % - % -

[100] - SDL.NET 1.0
  by kyuzo (http://freshmeat.net/users/kyuzo/)
  Monday, December 9th 2002 20:00

Software Development :: Libraries

About: SDL.NET is a set of language bindings for SDL written in C#. It
should work on any .NET-capable machine.

License: GNU Lesser General Public License (LGPL)

                        - %  - %  - % - % -

[101] - Siege 2.56b6 (Beta)
  by Jeffrey Fulmer (http://freshmeat.net/users/jdfulmer/)
  Monday, December 9th 2002 08:55

Internet :: WWW/HTTP
Internet :: WWW/HTTP :: Site Management
System :: Benchmark

About: Siege is a regression test and benchmark utility. It can stress
test a single URL with a user defined number of simulated users, or it can
read many URLs into memory and stress them simultaneously. The program
reports the total number of hits recorded, bytes transferred, response
time, concurrency, and return status. Siege supports HTTP/1.0 and 1.1
protocols, GET and POST directives, cookies, transaction logging, and
basic authentication. Its features are configurable on a per user basis.

Changes: This release is the last 2.56 beta. It includes several minor
bugfixes.

License: GNU General Public License (GPL)

                        - %  - %  - % - % -

[102] - SouRCe PacKaGer 0.0.2
  by Ender (http://freshmeat.net/users/enderryan/)
  Monday, December 9th 2002 06:44

System :: Archiving :: Packaging
Utilities

About: SouRCe PacKaGer (srcpkg) is a program for managing the
(de)installation of software packages distributed as source code. It could
also be useful for managing any type of software package. It is similar to
GNU Stow, Depot, etc., but the design goal is different. It works by
creating packages from newly-installed files, allowing it to manage large,
complex, interdependent packages such as KDE and GNOME.

Changes: Several problems which occurred when encountering broken symlinks
have been corrected. Other miscellaneous bugfixes and feature enhancements
were made.

License: GNU General Public License (GPL)

                        - %  - %  - % - % -

[103] - T/bone SecureMail Gateway 1.1.0
  by bone labs (http://freshmeat.net/users/bonelabs/)
  Monday, December 9th 2002 03:37

Communications :: Email
Security
Security :: Cryptography

About: T/bone SecureMail Gateway is a central, server based software
solution which provides encryption and digital signatures for the entire
email traffic of an organization. It works with a single organizational
certificate and transparently provides its services to end users. T/bone
automatically finds the certificates of external users or companies via
the Internet. Secure email traffic to customers, suppliers, and partners
is easily established, no matter whether or not they also deploy T/bone.
Packages for Red Hat, SuSE, and Debian GNU/Linux are available for
download.

Changes: With this release, PGP and S/MIME are now supported. "User
commands" functions have been added, so that end users can control
encryption and signing of an email by putting special command patterns in
the "Subject:"-field of an email to be sent.

License: Free for non-commercial use

                        - %  - %  - % - % -

[104] - The Tamber Project 1.1.29 (Pogo)
  by tamber (http://freshmeat.net/users/tamber/)
  Monday, December 9th 2002 06:14

Internet :: WWW/HTTP :: Dynamic Content :: CGI Tools/Libraries

About: The Tamber project is a componentized n-tier Web site engine that
uses open languages such as XML and JavaScript. Content is stored in
separate XML files, in databases, or other data objects. Business
functions are carried out by JavaScript and ASP. Presentation is
controlled by an XSL transformation, which allows for delivery over
multiple channels such as HTML, WAP, and MHEG. Currently, Tamber can
deliver to HTML and WAP, and contains modules that support e-commerce
shopping carts, secure sign in, data access and conversion services, and
advanced session management.

Changes: The user tracking system has been finished. Preparatory work for
the forums was done. The CMS permissions were renamed. The permission
manager was tweaked and updated.

License: GNU Lesser General Public License (LGPL)

                        - %  - %  - % - % -

[105] - TINTFU 0.0.3
  by LifeLine Networks - Soap2Corba
(http://freshmeat.net/users/soap2corba/)
  Monday, December 9th 2002 02:25

Multimedia :: Graphics

About: TINTFU is an editor for the .DOT files of the "GraphViz" program.
Written in Java, it allows you to edit any attribute of a .DOT file's
elements while at the same time displaying an immediate preview of the
changes made.

Changes: This release adds a new sub-editor to add and edit edges in a
table format. The "java -jar" style execution now works. A bug with the
"cycle" button was fixed, as was a cut/copy/paste bug.

  by stevenaaus (http://freshmeat.net/users/stevenaaus/)
  Monday, December 9th 2002 23:32

Games/Entertainment
Games/Entertainment :: Puzzle Games

About: tkhangman is a cute Tcl/Tk version of the  classic hangman game. It
comes with a small  word list, but can be used with existing
dictionaries.

Changes: The program was completely rewritten, and a new dictionary and
pictures were included.

  by leorosa (http://freshmeat.net/users/leorosa/)
  Monday, December 9th 2002 16:23

Desktop Environment
Desktop Environment :: Window Managers
Desktop Environment :: Window Managers :: FVWM

About: TkPanel tries to feel and look like another 'panels' that  exists
for Linux, but since it's made with Tcl/Tk it's  easier to edit the source
code for your needs. It  displays the time and system load, executes
predefined  programs, can change colors, arranges programs on  submenus,
and has other interesting tools.

License: GNU General Public License (GPL)

                        - %  - %  - % - % -

[108] - TPL Portal 0.85
  by Champi (http://freshmeat.net/users/champi/)
  Monday, December 9th 2002 16:21

Internet :: WWW/HTTP :: Dynamic Content :: Message Boards
Software Development

About: TPL Portal is a set of PHP scripts designed for sharing  source
code and for collaborative work.

Changes: A new admin page that lets you easily delete an  account, and a
password check at registration.

License: GNU General Public License (GPL)

                        - %  - %  - % - % -

[109] - tvnow 0.1.25
  by Anthony Tekatch (http://freshmeat.net/users/anthonytekatch/)
  Monday, December 9th 2002 13:36

Games/Entertainment

About: tvnow displays the North American satellite and network TV Listings
that are provided by the TVNOW company.

Changes: There are many changes to the console version and bugfixes for
Red Hat 8 operation.

License: GNU General Public License (GPL)

                        - %  - %  - % - % -

[110] - Unix Amiga Delitracker Emulator 0.73-pre6 (Development)
  by Heikki Orsila (http://freshmeat.net/users/shaihulud/)
  Monday, December 9th 2002 20:02

Multimedia :: Sound/Audio :: Players

About: UADE (Unix Amiga Delitracker Emulator) plays old Amiga music
formats by UAE Amiga emulation. It supports at least 150 different
formats.

Changes: This release fixes audio DMA wait problems with some players,
song metadata support for some players, and a song content database
updating bug. It adds a noticeable optimization to the song content
database.

License: GNU General Public License (GPL)

                        - %  - %  - % - % -

[111] - Virus Update Server 1.3 (Stable)
  by Lorenzo Allori (http://freshmeat.net/users/Topperz/)
  Monday, December 9th 2002 08:15

System :: Archiving :: Mirroring
System :: Networking
System :: Systems Administration

About: The Virus Update Server (vsupds) helps you maintain an updated
mirror of the antivirus updates from the McAfee/Network Associates servers
without having to download the entire list of updates every time a new
antivirus update is available. It mirrors all the files needed for
serveral OSes, and it also includes a FAQ on how to configure clients.

Changes: Support for McAfee VirusScan (R) 6.0, 7.0 was added.

License: GNU General Public License (GPL)

                        - %  - %  - % - % -

[112] - vpopmail 5.3.12 (Development)
  by kbo (http://freshmeat.net/users/kbo/)
  Monday, December 9th 2002 23:20

Communications :: Email
Communications :: Email :: Mail Transport Agents
Communications :: Email :: Post-Office :: POP3

About: vpopmail (vchkpw) is a collection of programs and a library to
automate the creation and maintenance of virtual domain email
configurations for qmail installations using either a single UID/GID or
any valid UID/GID in /etc/passwd with a home directory. Features are
provided in the library for other applications which need to maintain
virtual domain email accounts. It supports named or IP-based domains. It
works with vqadmin, qmailadmin, vqregister, sqwebmail, and courier-imap.
It supports MySQL, Sybase, Oracle, LDAP, and file-based (DJB constant
database) authentication. It supports SMTP authentication combined with
the qmail-smtp-auth patch. It supports user quotas and roaming users (SMTP
relay after POP authentication).

Changes: Some minor changes were made to vlimits.c to make it compile, but
more work is needed. Various LDAP fixes were made, the vlimits structure
was updated, and valias_line was changed from the "blob" type to "text".
There was a minor fix for users-big-dir and a fix for vipmap for
displaying the usage. host_in_locals now converts addresses to IPv4 so
that ip-alias works with courier-imap.

License: GNU General Public License (GPL)

                        - %  - %  - % - % -

[113] - w-agora 4.1.5
  by Marc Druilhe (http://freshmeat.net/users/mdruilhe/)
  Monday, December 9th 2002 13:33

Communications :: Conferencing
Internet :: WWW/HTTP
Internet :: WWW/HTTP :: Dynamic Content :: Message Boards

About: W-Agora (Web-Agora) is a database-driven communications system
which allows you and your visitors to store and display messages, files,
and other information on your web site. More than "just another Web
BBS/forum software", W-Agora is designed so it can be easily customizable
through a Web browser and the use of templates. It can be used as a BBS,
guestbook, download area, or publishing system. Several database backends
are supported such as MySQL, Postgres, mSQL, Oracle and DBM.

Changes: This release includes several enhancements in the admin panel and
is more stable, fast, and secure. A big effort has been given to the
localization and to the templates system. All templates are now entirely
localized. MS Access/ADO support has been added (beta stage) and Polish
and Italian languages have been added to the admin area. Several bugs have
been fixed.

License: Artistic License

                        - %  - %  - % - % -

[114] - WANPIPE beta2-2.2.3 (Beta)
  by Nenad Corbic (http://freshmeat.net/users/ncorbic/)
  Monday, December 9th 2002 13:27

Communications
System :: Networking
System :: Operating System

About: WANPIPE S-series is a family of intelligent multi-protocol WAN and
ADSL adapters that support data transfer rates up to 8Mbps. All WAN
protocols supported by WANPIPE are implemented in firmware and run on the
card. An advantage of an intelligent adapter is that it offloads the
system CPU and improves stability. By adding a Sangoma WAN/ADSL component
to the Linux kernel, one can create a powerful multi-T1/ADSL
router/firewall with proven reliability of Linux. Sangoma S-series cards
support an optional on board T1/E1 CSU/DSU that eliminates all external
components of a traditional routing solution: i.e. T1/E1 line can be
directly connected to the card. WANPIPE supports the following protocols,
ADSL, Frame Relay, PPP, MULTILINK PPP, CHDLC, X25(API), BitStreaming
(API), BiSync(API), and SDLC(API). Furthermore, WANPIPE supports custom
API development such as: Credit card verification, Voice-over IP,
Satellite Comm. All device drivers are part of the standard Linux Kernel
distribution.

Changes: An ADSL abstraction layer has been added to the main source.
Thus, from now on ADSL code can be compiled against any custom kernel. New
ATM encapsulation modes: Bridged Ethernet LLC over ATM (requires
rp-pppoe), Bridged Ethernet VC over ATM, Routed IP LLC over ATM (Classical
IP), Routed IP VC over ATM, 	 PPP LLC over ATM (PPPoA, requires pppd), and
PPP VC over ATM (PPPoA, requir6es pppd). There is a Wanpipemon GUI update.
There are major driver updates due to new common headers between all
protocols and other operating systems (FreeBSD and NetBSD).

  by Matt Croydon (http://freshmeat.net/users/mcroydon/)
  Monday, December 9th 2002 23:30

Internet :: WWW/HTTP :: Site Management

About: WAPBlog allows users to post to their  metaWeblog-aware Web log
from a WAP- enabled mobile phone. It uses WML and  delivers entries to the
server using XML-RPC.

Changes: metaWeblog.newPost has been implemented.

License: Perl License

                        - %  - %  - % - % -

[116] - Web components 2.06
  by akelavlk (http://freshmeat.net/users/akelavlk/)
  Monday, December 9th 2002 02:21

Internet :: WWW/HTTP :: Dynamic Content

About: Web components is a collection of visual programming elements that
can be used when creating a PHP-based Web site. It is similar in spirit to
ASP.NET.

Changes: This version removes a bug with the width in the style CSS of
W_DBGrid and W_StrGrid, and adds a new component to W_Panel.

  by Rizen (http://freshmeat.net/users/rizen/)
  Monday, December 9th 2002 21:54

Internet :: WWW/HTTP :: Dynamic Content
Internet :: WWW/HTTP :: Site Management
Office/Business

About: WebGUI is a platform built to allow average business users to build
and maintain complex Web sites. It is modular, pluggable, and platform
independent. It was designed to allow the people who create the content to
manage it online, rather than content management taking up the time of
busy IT Staff. Whether you are building a consumer site, an intranet, or
an extranet, WebGUI has something to offer.

Changes: Many bugfixes were made.

License: GNU General Public License (GPL)

                        - %  - %  - % - % -

[118] - Webmin Themeconfigurator 0.3a-pre3
  by Alexander (http://freshmeat.net/users/AlexGe/)
  Monday, December 9th 2002 13:46

System :: Systems Administration

About: Webmin Themeconfigurator is a Webmin module that allows you to
create and edit Webmin themes.

Changes: Skinbuilder (master-mode) has been added to build your own skins.
There is a bugfix for for some small problems and support for
translations.

License: GNU General Public License (GPL)

                        - %  - %  - % - % -

[119] - white_dune 0.20beta128 (Development)
  by MUFTI (http://freshmeat.net/users/mufti22/)
  Monday, December 9th 2002 03:34

Games/Entertainment
Internet :: WWW/HTTP
Multimedia :: Graphics :: 3D Modeling

About: VRML97 (Virtual Reality Modelling Language) is the ISO standard for
displaying 3D data over the web via browserplugins. It has support for
animation, realtime interaction and multimedia (image, movie, sound). Dune
can read VRML97 files, display and let the user change the
scenegraph/fields, and load and store x3d (next generation VRML xml
format) files if configured to work with the nist.gov x3d translators. It
also has support for stereoscopic view via "quadbuffer"-capable stereo
visuals.

Changes: This version includes a bugfix for recursive defined protos, a
bugfix for recursive DEF/USE structures, and in the channelview, the angle
of SFRotation is now shown in a different color than the x-axis.

License: GNU General Public License (GPL)

                        - %  - %  - % - % -

[120] - Worm Warner 1.0.10
  by jnieuwen (http://freshmeat.net/users/jnieuwen/)
  Monday, December 9th 2002 13:34

System :: Monitoring

About: WormWarner is a Perl script that is used to warn hosts that are
probably infected by a worm. It decides wether a host is infected by
analyzing the data from the Apache log files. It currently recognizes
CodeRed, Nimda, the Linux.Slapper.Worm, and the FreeBSD.Scalper.worm.
Warning is done by trying to contact the SMTP server on the infected host
and sending an email to the postmaster.

Changes: The documentation was improved. Some command line features were
added, and the program now uses a configuration file. Some minor bugs were
fixed.

License: GNU General Public License (GPL)

                        - %  - %  - % - % -

[121] - XIST 2.1
  by Walter Dörwald (http://freshmeat.net/users/doerwalter/)
  Monday, December 9th 2002 19:31

Internet :: WWW/HTTP :: Dynamic Content
Internet :: WWW/HTTP :: Site Management
Text Processing :: Markup :: XML

About: XIST is an XML-based extensible HTML generator written in Python.
XIST is also a DOM parser (built on top of SAX2) with a very simple and
Pythonesque tree API. Every XML element type corresponds to a Python
class, and these Python classes provide a conversion method to transform
the XML tree (e.g., into HTML). XIST can be considered "object oriented
XSL".

Changes: This release adds a new namespace and script for parsing JSP tag
library descriptors and generating XIST namespaces from them, enhanced
DocBook conversion for the doc module, various performance optimizations,
and many small bugfixes.

License: Python License

                        - %  - %  - % - % -

[122] - xrmap 2.24 (Stable)
  by Jean-Pierre Demailly (http://freshmeat.net/users/demailly/)
  Monday, December 9th 2002 13:41

Scientific/Engineering :: Visualization

About: Xrmap is a program running under X that can interactively display
portions of the Earth, using the huge CIA world vector map. It is based on
an earlier console utility 'rmap'. It features political boundaries, major
and minor rivers, glaciers, lakes, canals, etc. The map remains accurate
under a very large zoom factor, which can possibly exceed 100. Spherical,
rectangular, Mercator and Miller projections are implemented, and all
features can be interactively set from the GUI.

Changes: This is mostly a maintenance release including some minor
bugfixes and code clean-ups. The data window now has a button allowing you
to link each country with a PDF document.

License: GNU General Public License (GPL)

                        - %  - %  - % - % -

[123] - XWine 0.2.4 (Development)
  by Philippe BOUSQUET (http://freshmeat.net/users/darken/)
  Monday, December 9th 2002 03:11

System :: Emulators

About: XWine is a graphical user interface for the WINE emulator. It
provides an interface for configuring and running MS-Windows applications
(MS-DOS, Windows 3.x, or Win32).

Changes: This release includes autodection for the Windows version to
emulate, and some bugfixes.

License: GNU General Public License (GPL)

                        - %  - %  - % - % -

[124] - Yarrow RGTP Web client 1.2.0
  by marnanel (http://freshmeat.net/users/marnanel/)
  Monday, December 9th 2002 02:25

Communications :: BBS
Communications :: Conferencing
Internet :: WWW/HTTP :: Dynamic Content :: Message Boards

About: Yarrow is a Web front-end for the message board transfer protocol
RGTP, used on the Cambridge GROGGS system. RGTP is notable for
cryptographic authentication of posters, and item-based rather than
thread-based discussion.

Changes: This release contains a new simple installation script. If the
browser supports it, the HTML that is produced will now be compressed. The
Content-Length header is now set, allowing the use of persistent
connections, and basic HTTP caching support has been introduced. If the
user has the correct permissions on the RGTP server, they can now set its
message of the day and modify its user database. None of the pages
generated now rely on static HTTP content. There was also quite a bit of
code tidying, tidying of the generated HTML, and bugfixing.

License: GNU General Public License (GPL)

                        - %  - %  - % - % -

[125] - Yet Another Advanced Log Analyzer 0.5.3 (Experimental)
  by Florian Forster (http://freshmeat.net/users/flocto/)
  Monday, December 9th 2002 13:10

Internet :: Log Analysis

About: "yaala" parses logfiles and generates very detailed statistics in
HTML format. It features two different output types with different amount
of information: one for webmasters/sysadmins that would like to get some
very interesting (but not necessarily useful) information about their
audience, and one that is more likely to be presented on a website. It
currently works with Apache's access-log format and the NCSA format (e.g.
Apache's combined log) as well as Squid's access logfile format.

Changes: The ability to perform reverse lookups has been added. The
browser and OS recognition code has been improved.

  by Sean Scanlon (http://freshmeat.net/users/zekat/)
  Monday, December 9th 2002 23:10

System :: Hardware

About: Zmeter is an RS232 serial interface program for the RadioShack
22812 (46 range) Digital Multi Meter (DMM). It requires read access to an
available serial port (specified on the command line e.g. /dev/ttyS0) and
a RadioShack DMM model number 22812. It features ASCII text output of the
DMM display to stdout, continuous (default) or up to 32K samples
(specified on the command line), both at better than 3 samples per second,
sample timestamping, and a man page.

Changes: This unstable development release features an internal code
cleanup.

License: GNU General Public License (GPL)