List:       freshmeat-news
Subject:    [fm-news] Newsletter for Saturday, December 07th 2002
From:       freshmeat-news-admin () lists ! freshmeat ! net
Date:       2002-12-08 8:10:05

> > > L I N K S   F O R   T H E   D A Y :::

Today's news on the web: http://freshmeat.net/daily/2002/12/07/
freshmeat.net newsgroup: news://news.freshmeat.net/fm.announce

--- .-.-- --- ---- - -   -.-- - --..  - - ----..-----.-  - ---.-.

> > > A D V E R T I S I N G :::

Microsoft Visual Studio .NET

is today's comprehensive development tool for the  task at hand, built to
help you overcome programming challenges and increase productivity.
Discover what it can do for you, today.  Click here to try a free online
hosted session.

http://ad.doubleclick.net/clk;4787263;7673525;x?http://msdn.protier.com/admin/skins/vsdemo/freetrial.aspx?source=OSDN_general_newsletter

--. ---- -- --.--.--.- ...  -. .. -- --.-  -- -.-.-.- .---. ----

> > > A R T I C L E S (1) :::

Absolute BSD
by Dan Langille (http://www.langille.org/)
Section: Book Reviews
Saturday, December 7th 2002 00:00

Some of you may know me, either by name or by my work with FreeBSD. I will
bet that even more of you are familiar with Michael Lucas and his
widely-read and highly-regarded articles at OnLamp. It should come as no
surprise to those people that he has written a very good book on FreeBSD.
"Absolute BSD" came out in July 2002 and has proven to be a great resource
for people new to BSD and those who have been using it for years. Michael
Lucas has a writing style which is very easy to read and absorb.

--.-.-------.-- -- - --- . - --.----.----  --.. ------.-. -    ..

> > > R E L E A S E   H E A D L I N E S (45) :::

[001] - AdvanceSCAN 1.4
[002] - AUTH_MD5 for PHP 0.30
[003] - Bacula 1.27c
[004] - cgipaf 1.2.0 (Stable)
[005] - coridoras 0.0.13
[006] - cqure ap 2.0.0
[007] - crip 3.1
[008] - CVSPermissions 0.1
[009] - dbtcp 0.1.17
[010] - dvd::rip 0.48.5
[011] - Dvipost 1.0
[012] - Eteria IRC Client 1.0.2
[013] - fastUtil 2.1
[014] - fauxident.py 1.1
[015] - GKrellM 2.1.3 (GTK 2.0)
[016] - Java Imaging Utilities 0.10.0
[017] - JFtp 0.94
[018] - KDE 3.1-rc5 (Development)
[019] - Knoppix 3.1-07-12-2002
[020] - LBreakout 2.4beta-3
[021] - LibXMLight 0.1.0
[022] - MEDICI 0.0.94 (Development)
[023] - Movie Explorer 0.5.1
[024] - naim 0.11.5-2002-12-04-2326 (Development)
[025] - perltrash 0.2
[026] - phpCSS 0.2.0
[027] - PHPDNSAdmin pre1.4rc2 (Unstable)
[028] - phppdflib 1.15
[029] - Pipe Viewer 0.4.4
[030] - pork 0.0.2
[031] - PostNuke 0.7.2.2
[032] - PTlink IRCd 6.14.2
[033] - PyDBDesigner 0.1pre2
[034] - shntool 1.2.0
[035] - SILC 0.9.7 (Toolkit)
[036] - slurm 0.0.8
[037] - SuckerPipe 0.3
[038] - TinyPTC 0.7.2
[039] - TopAuction 2.4
[040] - Totem 0.13.0
[041] - tvmet 0.7.0 (Stable)
[042] - VideoDB 2002-12-07
[043] - Winhunt 0.12
[044] - wordtrans 1.1pre12 (Stable)
[045] - Xenomorph Image Processor 0.5.1

 -.---- .--.- -- --.--    -- -.-- --..-.-- ...--.--.--- - -.-.--

> > > R E L E A S E   D E T A I L S :::

[001] - AdvanceSCAN 1.4
  by Andrea Mazzoleni (http://freshmeat.net/users/amadvance/)
  Saturday, December 7th 2002 10:31

Games/Entertainment :: Arcade
System :: Archiving :: Compression
System :: Emulators

About: AdvanceSCAN is a command line ROM manager for MAME, MESS,
AdvanceMAME, AdvanceMESS, and Raine for Unix, DOS, and Windows. It also
contains a recompression utility for your .ZIP ROMs, .PNG snapshots, and
.MNG clips.

Changes: This release fixes a bug in the advmng utility when it's called
with more than one file in the commandline.

License: GNU General Public License (GPL)

                        - %  - %  - % - % -

[002] - AUTH_MD5 for PHP 0.30
  by Wolfgang Gruber (http://freshmeat.net/users/arcolf/)
  Saturday, December 7th 2002 23:40

About: AUTH_MD5 is a client- and server-based authentication framework
with a PHP and JavaScript class and challenge-response scheme. The server
generates for each request a new challenge, stores it in the session, and
transmits it to the client. If the client connects for the first time, the
server stores its IP address in the session. The client generates the md5
based on the password of the login form and the challenge, and sends it
together with the login to the server. Then the server computes a md5 from
the stored challenge and the password and compares it with the md5 from
the client. If they match, the user is authenticated. For each following
request of the client the md5 of password and challenge will be checked.

Changes: This version includes better Javascript support, improves the
challenge, moves all session variables to the associative array _AUTH_MD5,
changes the request parameter from MD5 to auth, adds a time out function,
fixes a problem where if the server had a port number specified, the
rewriteLink method failed, and separates the challenge and salt of the
first response.

License: GNU General Public License (GPL)

                        - %  - %  - % - % -

[003] - Bacula 1.27c
  by Kern Sibbald (http://freshmeat.net/users/kern/)
  Saturday, December 7th 2002 02:50

System :: Archiving :: Backup

About: Bacula is a set of programs that allow you to manage the backup,
recovery, and verification of computer data across a network of different
computers. It is based on a client/server architecture and is efficient
and relatively easy to use, while offering many advanced storage
management features that make it easy to find and recover lost or damaged
files.

License: GNU General Public License (GPL)

                        - %  - %  - % - % -

[004] - cgipaf 1.2.0 (Stable)
  by staf (http://freshmeat.net/users/stafwag/)
  Saturday, December 7th 2002 11:41

Communications :: Email

About: cgipaf is a combination of three CGI programs. passwd.cgi, which
allow users to update their password, viewmailcfg.cgi, which allows users
to view their current mail configuration, and mailcfg.cgi, which updates
the mail configuration. All programs use PAM for user authentication. It
is possible to run a script to update SAMBA passwords or NIS configuration
when a password is changed. mailcfg.cgi creates a .procmailrc in the
user's home directory. A user with too many invalid logins can be locked.
The minimum and maximum UID can be set in the configuration file, so you
can specify a range of UIDs that are allowed to use cgipaf.

Changes: Access Control List support was added in the form of the
AclOrder, AllowUsers, AllowGroups, DenyUsers, and DenyGroups directives.
passwd.cgi should now support all pam options in the PAM configuration
(cracklib, minimum/ maximum password length etc.) on all systems with PAM
support.

License: GNU General Public License (GPL)

                        - %  - %  - % - % -

[005] - coridoras 0.0.13
  by Christian Leber (http://freshmeat.net/users/ijuz/)
  Saturday, December 7th 2002 11:15

Communications :: Chat :: Internet Relay Chat
Security :: Cryptography

About: Coridoras provides a relative simple way to encrypt IRC queries
without changing the client and/or the server.

Changes: It is now possible to compile coridoras with Cygwin on a Win32
system. Some other minor things were also changed.

License: GNU General Public License (GPL)

                        - %  - %  - % - % -

[006] - cqure ap 2.0.0
  by Patrik Karlsson (http://freshmeat.net/users/patrik77/)
  Saturday, December 7th 2002 13:46

System :: Networking

About: cqure ap is a "one floppy" wireless access point. It supports Prism
2-based wireless adapters and most of the 10/100 ethernet PCMCIA and PCI
adapters supported by Linux.

Changes: This version was rewritten from scratch, and is now based on
uClibc. It now fits on a single floppy with all previous features. A DHCP
server was added, and configuration was made easier.

License: GNU General Public License (GPL)

                        - %  - %  - % - % -

[007] - crip 3.1
  by Charlton Harrison (http://freshmeat.net/users/charnerd/)
  Saturday, December 7th 2002 23:54

Multimedia
Multimedia :: Sound/Audio
Multimedia :: Sound/Audio :: CD Audio :: CD Ripping

About: crip is a terminal-based ripper/encoder/tagger tool for creating
Ogg Vorbis files (or MP3 files for crip 1.X) under Unix/Linux. It is
well-suited for someone seeking to make a lot of Ogg/MP3 files from CDs
and have them all properly labeled and professional-quality with a minimum
of hassle.

Changes: This version includes further refinements of the
questioning/interaction, refines and in some cases changes the
command-line interface, and includes other numerous minor changes and
enhancements.

License: GNU General Public License (GPL)

                        - %  - %  - % - % -

[008] - CVSPermissions 0.1
  by Vivek Venugopalan (http://freshmeat.net/users/vivekv/)
  Saturday, December 7th 2002 23:43

Software Development :: Version Control :: CVS

About: CVSPermissions is a toolkit that will allow CVS  administrators to
set up directory level access  control in CVS for multiple CVS users. This
toolkit is a collection of shell scripts and CVS configuration to achieve
the access control functionality.

License: GNU General Public License (GPL)

                        - %  - %  - % - % -

[009] - dbtcp 0.1.17
  by flatline (http://freshmeat.net/users/flatlin3/)
  Saturday, December 7th 2002 14:05

Database

About: dbtcp is a package of libraries which provides applications on
Linux access to ODBC datasources on remote machines running Windows. It
allows a Linux application to access data held on a Windows machine (such
as MS SQL Server on NT), and includes a command line client, a DBD, and a
PHP driver.

Changes: Some bugs in the PHP driver were fixed. A new beta server was
released.

License: GNU General Public License (GPL)

                        - %  - %  - % - % -

[010] - dvd::rip 0.48.5
  by Jörn Reder (http://freshmeat.net/users/jred/)
  Saturday, December 7th 2002 01:19

Multimedia :: Video :: Conversion

About: dvd::rip is a full featured DVD copy program written in Perl. It
provides an easy-to-use but feature-rich GTK+ GUI to control almost all
aspects of the ripping and transcoding process. It uses the widely known
video processing swissknife, transcode, and many other Open Source tools.

Changes: This release fixed a bug that prevented Ogg Vorbis multiple audio
streams from being created.

License: Artistic License

                        - %  - %  - % - % -

[011] - Dvipost 1.0
  by efeu (http://freshmeat.net/users/efeu/)
  Saturday, December 7th 2002 00:11

Text Processing :: Filters
Text Processing :: Markup :: LaTeX

About: Dvipost is a post-processor for DVI files  created by LaTeX and
TeX. It can be used for  special modes that normally need DVI drivers
such as dvips. It supports layout raster,  change bars, and overstrike
mode.

License: GNU General Public License (GPL)

                        - %  - %  - % - % -

[012] - Eteria IRC Client 1.0.2
  by Javier Kohen (http://freshmeat.net/users/jkohen/)
  Saturday, December 7th 2002 23:55

Communications :: Chat :: Internet Relay Chat

About: EIRC is an RFC 1459 compliant client program written entirely in
Java using only version 1.1.x Java API, for compliance with current
mainstream web browsers, without the need to download the Swing classes.
It can be run also as an application (outside Applet context).

Changes: This version includes assorted changes taken from the CVS tree,
so is not for the faint of heart, but should be quite stable.

License: GNU General Public License (GPL)

                        - %  - %  - % - % -

[013] - fastUtil 2.1
  by Sebastiano Vigna (http://freshmeat.net/users/vigna/)
  Saturday, December 7th 2002 10:41

Software Development :: Libraries :: Java Libraries

About: fastUtil provides type-specific Java maps and sets with a small
memory footprint, which feature much faster (2 to 10 times) access and
insertion. The classes implement their standard counterpart interfaces
(e.g., Map for maps) and can be plugged into existing code.

Changes: New inner loops for hash tables gave another performance boost.
Tree sets also have array-based constructors, and a few minor bugfixes
were made.

License: GNU General Public License (GPL)

                        - %  - %  - % - % -

[014] - fauxident.py 1.1
  by Eleventh Hour (http://freshmeat.net/users/xihr/)
  Saturday, December 7th 2002 13:29

System :: Networking
System :: Networking :: Firewalls
Utilities

About: fauxident is a small Python script that will act as an extremely
naive ident server, answering all ident requests with a consistent
response (either ERROR or USERID). This can be advantageous on systems
where running a true identd is unavailable, where it would be would be a
security risk, or when masquerading firewalls are in use, where multiple
machines are involved behind the firewall and running a proper ident
system is not an option.

Changes: Multiple user names may now be chosen randomly from a list.
Support for suffixing a random number of a given length was added. The -V
option was changed to display version information. The documentation was
improved.

License: GNU General Public License (GPL)

                        - %  - %  - % - % -

[015] - GKrellM 2.1.3 (GTK 2.0)
  by Bill Wilson (http://freshmeat.net/users/billw2/)
  Saturday, December 7th 2002 23:37

System :: Monitoring
System :: Networking :: Monitoring

About: GKrellM is a GTK-based stacked monitor program that charts SMP
CPUs, disks, load, active net interfaces, and internet connections. There
are also builtin monitors for memory and swap, file systems with
mount/umount feature, mailbox checking including POP3 and IMAP,
clock/calendar, laptop battery, sensors (temperatures, voltages, and
fans), and uptime. It has LEDs for the net monitors and an on/off button
and online timer for PPP. There is a GUI popup for configuration, plugin
extensions can be installed, and many themes are available. It also
features a client/server monitoring capability.

Changes: If disk stats from /proc/partitions are available (a recent Linux
kernel compiled with the .config option CONFIG_BLK_STATS=y) the disk
monitor will report data from all disks and partitions listed there. The
battery monitor can now display multiple batteries. The theme scaling was
improved to work with all themes.

License: GNU General Public License (GPL)

                        - %  - %  - % - % -

[016] - Java Imaging Utilities 0.10.0
  by Marco Schmidt (http://freshmeat.net/users/mschmidt/)
  Saturday, December 7th 2002 07:29

Multimedia :: Graphics :: Editors :: Raster-Based
Multimedia :: Graphics :: Graphics Conversion
Multimedia :: Graphics :: Viewers

About: JIU (Java Imaging Utilities) is a Java library for pixel images. It
can read and write a number of popular image file formats. Several
algorithms for image editing, analysis, and processing are implemented. A
GUI demo application, Javadoc API documentation, and a manual are provided
as well.

Changes: The TIFF codec was updated to read 4-bit grayscale and paletted,
CMYK and LogLuv color spaces, SGI LOG RLE, and LOG 24 Packed compression
types. The Palm codec now reads and writes almost all possible format
flavors. Spanish was added as a language in jiuawt. A wrapper class was
added to use AWT BufferedImage objects directly in JIU operations. Some
cleanups to make dithering and resampling more extensible were made, and
ImageLoader now allows to add codecs at runtime. ImageCodec's new setFile
method automatically picks suitable I/O objects, and an unsharp mask
filter was added.

License: GNU General Public License (GPL)

                        - %  - %  - % - % -

[017] - JFtp 0.94
  by Cyberdemon (http://freshmeat.net/users/cyberdemon/)
  Saturday, December 7th 2002 10:32

Internet :: File Transfer Protocol (FTP)
System :: Networking

About: JFtp is a graphical FTP client written in Java. It supports all the
basic FTP operations, and has some improved features such as recursive
directory upload, a nice swing UI, the ability to automatically resume
downloads, and the ability to recognize broken directory names. The API is
separated from the GUI and can also be used in third-party applications or
in a command-line mode.

Changes: New experimental multithreading support was added, allowing you
to download multiple files simultanously. Local files the user has no
permissions for are now colored, and a parsing bug has been fixed.

License: GNU General Public License (GPL)

                        - %  - %  - % - % -

[018] - KDE 3.1-rc5 (Development)
  by binner (http://freshmeat.net/users/stbinner/)
  Saturday, December 7th 2002 23:41

About: KDE is a powerful graphical desktop environment for Unix
workstations. It combines ease of use, contemporary functionality and
outstanding graphical design with the technological superiority of the
Unix operating system. KDE is a completely new desktop, incorporating a
large suite of applications for Unix workstations. While KDE includes a
window manager, file manager, panel, control center and many other
components that one would expect to be part of a contemporary desktop
environment, the true strength of this exceptional environment lies in the
interoperability of its components.

Changes: This version implements bug and security fixes of an ongoing
security audit.

License: GNU General Public License (GPL)

                        - %  - %  - % - % -

[019] - Knoppix 3.1-07-12-2002
  by Gürkan Sengün (http://freshmeat.net/users/tarzeau/)
  Saturday, December 7th 2002 23:42

About: KNOPPIX is a bootable CD with a collection of GNU/Linux software,
automatic hardware detection, and support for many graphics cards, sound
cards, SCSI devices, and other peripherals. It can be used as a Linux
demo, educational CD, rescue system, etc. It is not necessary to install
anything on a hard disk due to on-the-fly decompression.

Changes: This version includes a rewrite of partition and filesystem
detection, Spanish translations for scripts, automatic desktop icons for
USB storage devices, the Linux kernel 2.4.20 with XFS and JFS, updates to
hwdata, a Prism2 module, PCMCIA workarounds for Dell notebooks, DRI
support for more graphic cards (esp. ATI, tested with chromium), and lots
of small fixes and updates.

License: GNU General Public License (GPL)

                        - %  - %  - % - % -

[020] - LBreakout 2.4beta-3
  by kulkanie (http://freshmeat.net/users/kulkanie/)
  Saturday, December 7th 2002 13:51

Games/Entertainment
Games/Entertainment :: Arcade

About: LBreakout is a breakout game with nice effects, graphics, and
sounds. It's got a menu to configure a lot of things and a high score
chart. It can be played either by mouse or keyboard. New levels can also
be created, and most other aspects of the game can be customized.

Changes: Minor bugfixes were made. De Backer's default theme, AbsoluteB,
was updated to version 0.8. The way continues are handled was changed:
they now cost 50% percent of your score for all difficulty levels, but
restore the initial amount of lives (instead of buying just one).

  by Christian Neumann (http://freshmeat.net/users/jarvatharpo/)
  Saturday, December 7th 2002 23:41

Software Development :: Libraries
Text Processing :: Markup :: XML

About: LibXMLight is a non-validating, lightweight C++ XML parser library
that has an API similar to SAX.

  by David Coles (http://freshmeat.net/users/davecar/)
  Saturday, December 7th 2002 07:29

Software Development :: Libraries
Text Processing

About: MEDICI is an Electronic Data Interchange (EDI) library. ISO 9735
(EDIFACT) and TRADACOMS syntaxes are supported. MEDICI is a parser for EDI
streams and provides functions to query system and message directories.

Changes: Enhanced TRADACOMS support, core code refactoring, and some
bugfixes.

License: GNU Lesser General Public License (LGPL)

                        - %  - %  - % - % -

[023] - Movie Explorer 0.5.1
  by Hans Enthoven (http://freshmeat.net/users/henthoven/)
  Saturday, December 7th 2002 07:26

Database

About: Movie Explorer is a Java application to manage your movie
collection. With it you can save almost everything you know about your
movies (including covers). When you've stored movies in Movie Explorer,
you can easily browse through them using advanced search options. Next to
the movie information you can save detailed information about actors and
directors.

Changes: Some new features were added, like changing the look and feel,
and a few bus errors were fixed.

License: Freeware

                        - %  - %  - % - % -

[024] - naim 0.11.5-2002-12-04-2326 (Development)
  by n (http://freshmeat.net/users/n/)
  Saturday, December 7th 2002 11:52

Communications
Communications :: Chat
Communications :: Chat :: AOL Instant Messenger

About: naim is the original ncurses (console) AIM client. It uses the TOC
protocol, and includes many commonly- requested features found nowhere
else, while still preserving naim's classic look and feel.

Changes: Numerous small behavior corrections and bugfixes were made.
Pervasive tab completion, completely invisible client capabilities
negotiation, customizable alerts (with $chatter), and minor UI
improvements were added.

License: GNU General Public License (GPL)

                        - %  - %  - % - % -

[025] - perltrash 0.2
  by Maik Schreiber (http://freshmeat.net/users/blizzy/)
  Saturday, December 7th 2002 11:55

System :: Archiving :: Backup
System :: Recovery Tools
Utilities

About: perltrash is a Perl script that emulates a "trash  can". Instead of
permanently deleting files,  they are moved into the trash can. Files can
be restored in the future if they are needed  again.

Changes: You can empty the trash can now, and impose certain limits on its
total size. Problems with relative paths have been fixed.

License: GNU General Public License (GPL)

                        - %  - %  - % - % -

[026] - phpCSS 0.2.0
  by Regin Larsen (http://freshmeat.net/users/rjl/)
  Saturday, December 7th 2002 07:26

Internet :: WWW/HTTP

About: phpCSS is a simple CSS-style system for your home page. It lets
your visitors decide how they want your site look like; they can choose a
style and even modify it, if they don't like the default settings.

License: GNU General Public License (GPL)

                        - %  - %  - % - % -

[027] - PHPDNSAdmin pre1.4rc2 (Unstable)
  by bjoern (http://freshmeat.net/users/hacker23/)
  Saturday, December 7th 2002 12:04

Internet :: Name Service (DNS)

About: DNSAdmin is PHP frontend for creating and editing DNS zone files.
It can also handle multiple domains. All data is stored within a MySQL
database, and zonefiles and reversefiles are created automatically. It
also has a little feature to inventory your system by capturing username,
MAC address, and the location. This frontend supports A, TXT, HINFO, MX
records, and CNAMES

Changes: BIND 9 views support was added. A lot of bugfixes were made.

License: GNU General Public License (GPL)

                        - %  - %  - % - % -

[028] - phppdflib 1.15
  by Bill Moran (http://freshmeat.net/users/wmoran/)
  Saturday, December 7th 2002 11:59

Internet :: WWW/HTTP :: Dynamic Content
Internet :: WWW/HTTP :: Dynamic Content :: CGI Tools/Libraries
Software Development :: Libraries :: PHP Classes

About: phppdflib is a PHP class that allows dynamic generation of PDF
files. It focuses on being easy to use, without requiring special Web
server configuration. It currently supports automatic JPEG image
embedding, as well as manual embedding of bitmapped image formats. Several
methods of text placement (specifically designed for easy layout) are
supported.

Changes: This version fixes some bugs, such as a broken word_wrap()
function and a discrepency between the text encoding and the strlen()
function. An 'align' paramter has been added to the paragraph functions to
control text alignment. Code cleanup has been done to remove warnings when
PHP is configured at a high reporting level. Compression has been extended
to JFIF images, which further reduces resultant PDF sizes. More work has
been done on the documentation, and it's fairly complete now.

License: GNU General Public License (GPL)

                        - %  - %  - % - % -

[029] - Pipe Viewer 0.4.4
  by Andrew Wood (http://freshmeat.net/users/ivarch/)
  Saturday, December 7th 2002 07:27

Utilities

About: pv (Pipe Viewer) is a terminal-based tool for monitoring the
progress of data through a pipeline. It can be inserted into any normal
pipeline between two processes to give a visual indication of how quickly
data is passing through, how long it has taken, how near to completion it
is, and an estimate of how long it will be until completion.

Changes: This release adds full support for pause/resume (with ^Z / fg)
and window size changes, and automatically stops output when backgrounded.

License: Artistic License

                        - %  - %  - % - % -

[030] - pork 0.0.2
  by Ryan McCabe (http://freshmeat.net/users/ellyhiggin/)
  Saturday, December 7th 2002 11:12

Communications :: Chat :: AOL Instant Messenger

About: pork is a UNIX console-based AIM client mostly fashioned after the
look-and-feel of ircII.

Changes: This is the first release, so a lot of things are very rough and
a lot of features aren't implemented yet.

License: GNU General Public License (GPL)

                        - %  - %  - % - % -

[031] - PostNuke 0.7.2.2
  by HarryZ (http://freshmeat.net/users/HarryZ/)
  Saturday, December 7th 2002 13:25

Internet :: WWW/HTTP :: Site Management
Other/Nonlisted Topic

About: PostNuke is a Weblog/portal system featuring an extremely
easy-to-use Web-based installation script. It is extremely developer and
community friendly, with active development progressing, support forums
around the world, and live support via its own IRC network. It was
originally based on PHP-Nuke, but was rewritten with security and
performance in mind.

Changes: A new free banner positioning and a new banner sideblock were
implemented. All modules and the core have been secured against cross site
scripting and other attacks. A new visual editor with upload capabilities
was enabled. A new members list was created. Hundreds of bugfixes were
made. Adodb was upgraded to 2.50. Support was added for register_globals =
off (for full compatibility with php 4.2x and above. Apache 2.0.x is now
supported. The pnIntrusion detection system was enhanced. Admin settings
were added for censor, pnAnticracker, and article display. New admin icons
were added. wBloggar support was added.

License: GNU General Public License (GPL)

                        - %  - %  - % - % -

[032] - PTlink IRCd 6.14.2
  by João M. Pinto (http://freshmeat.net/users/jpinto/)
  Saturday, December 7th 2002 12:01

Communications :: Chat :: Internet Relay Chat

About: The PTlink IRC daemon integrates some of the most advanced features
needed to manage an IRC network into the stable core from Hybrid IRCd. It
is fully integrated with PTlink IRC Services and PTlink Open Proxy
Monitor, providing a great platform for anyone starting an IRC network.

Changes: Channel admin status propagation during netjoins was fixed,
invalid check on chanmode -a change was removed, and some changes required
to compile on HPUX11i were made.

License: GNU General Public License (GPL)

                        - %  - %  - % - % -

[033] - PyDBDesigner 0.1pre2
  by gusthy (http://freshmeat.net/users/gusthy/)
  Saturday, December 7th 2002 07:39

Database
Software Development :: Build Tools
Software Development :: Code Generators

About: PyDBDesigner is a relational modeling tool that is planned to be
able to design both logical and physical models similarly to Erwin and
PowerDesigner, etc.

Changes: It is now possible to generate relations between entities
automatically, both for one entity at a time and for the whole ER model.
New "Delete entity" and "new model" features have been added. "Open" now
erases the contents of the model as it is normal, and other minor bugfixes
were made.

License: GNU General Public License (GPL)

                        - %  - %  - % - % -

[034] - shntool 1.2.0
  by Jason Jordan (http://freshmeat.net/users/jjd/)
  Saturday, December 7th 2002 23:46

Multimedia :: Sound/Audio
Multimedia :: Sound/Audio :: Analysis
Multimedia :: Sound/Audio :: CD Audio

About: shntool is a multi-purpose WAVE data processing and reporting
utility, with support for various other lossless file formats through the
use of helper programs: SHN (via shorten), FLAC (via flac), AIFF (via
sox), APE (via mac), OFR (via OptimFROG), and LPAC (via lpac). It
currently runs in nine different modes, each of which has its own
well-defined purpose: len, fix, join, split, cat, cmp, conv, info, and
strip.

Changes: This release adds the ability to display per-format extra
information in info mode (currently only used to indicate seekability of
.shn files), and allows join mode to join non-CD quality files.

License: GNU General Public License (GPL)

                        - %  - %  - % - % -

[035] - SILC 0.9.7 (Toolkit)
  by priikone (http://freshmeat.net/users/priikone/)
  Saturday, December 7th 2002 10:34

Communications
Communications :: Chat
Communications :: Conferencing

About: SILC (Secure Internet Live Conferencing) is a protocol which
provides secure conferencing services in the Internet. It can be used to
send any kind of messages, in addition to normal text messages. This
includes multimedia messages like images, video, and audio stream. All
messages in the SILC network are encrypted and authenticated, and messages
can also be digitally signed. SILC protocol supports AES, SHA-1, PKCS#1,
PKCS#3, X.509, OpenPGP, and is being developed in the IETF. The software
is delivered as SILC Client for end users, SILC Server for system
administrators, and SILC Toolkit for application developers.

Changes: This version fixes shared object compilation with libtool and
NICK_CHANGE notify handling in client library, adds strict length argument
checking in encryption/decryption routines and fixes the private key file
format in crypto library, implements the Signature Payload for digitally
signing messages to core library, and includes other minor bugfixes.

License: GNU General Public License (GPL)

                        - %  - %  - % - % -

[036] - slurm 0.0.8
  by Hendrik Scholz (http://freshmeat.net/users/hscholz/)
  Saturday, December 7th 2002 10:35

System :: Networking :: Monitoring

About: slurm started as a port of pppstatus to FreeBSD and now is a
generic network load monitor. It features three different modes with
real-time ASCII graphs and interface statistics for all kinds of network
interfaces on FreeBSD, NetBSD, OpenBSD, and Linux.

Changes: Statistics are now kept between display mode changes so you won't
lose any information when switching modes. On the OS support side there
are Linux sanity checks, OpenBSD interface media detection additions, and
basic HP/UX 11.x support.

License: GNU General Public License (GPL)

                        - %  - %  - % - % -

[037] - SuckerPipe 0.3
  by Int3lx (http://freshmeat.net/users/Int3lx/)
  Saturday, December 7th 2002 23:49

Communications :: Chat :: AOL Instant Messenger

About: SuckerPipe is a client-based proxy for AOL Instant  Messenger
communication. Arbitrary connections  can be made between screen names,
two users can be piped together, and messages may be sent to users.

License: GNU General Public License (GPL)

                        - %  - %  - % - % -

[038] - TinyPTC 0.7.2
  by Alessandro Gatti (http://freshmeat.net/users/rigelfm/)
  Saturday, December 7th 2002 11:57

Multimedia :: Graphics
Software Development :: Libraries

About: TinyPTC is a cross-platform framebuffer library with a simple API
(a subset of OpenPTC). It features a few output targets such as raw XLib,
XShm, XDbe, XDga 1/2, etc. It also automatically manages colordepth
conversions on-the-fly if such a feature is needed.

Changes: The documentation has been cleaned up a bit. It's now possible to
build a Python module out of TinyPTC.

License: GNU Lesser General Public License (LGPL)

                        - %  - %  - % - % -

[039] - TopAuction 2.4
  by PHPLabs (http://freshmeat.net/users/phplabs/)
  Saturday, December 7th 2002 23:34

Internet

About: Top Auction is a PHP script for a Web-based auction. Users can
create accounts, place items for sale, and bid on other users' auctions.
It is templateable and features an extensive  administrative interface to
control users,  auctions, bids, and more. It also provides built-in
support for common payment processors like authorize.net, PayPal,
2Checkout, and Verisign.

License: Other/Proprietary License

                        - %  - %  - % - % -

[040] - Totem 0.13.0
  by Okki (http://freshmeat.net/users/Okki666/)
  Saturday, December 7th 2002 23:49

Multimedia :: Video :: Display

About: Totem is simple movie player for GNOME  desktops based on xine. It
features a simple  playlist, a full-screen mode, seek and volume
controls, as well as a pretty complete  keyboard navigation system.

Changes: This version includes many small bugfixes, detection and easier
selection of the Optical Media Drive, better DVD navigation, and a fix for
the wrong aspect ratio issue.

License: GNU General Public License (GPL)

                        - %  - %  - % - % -

[041] - tvmet 0.7.0 (Stable)
  by Olaf Petzold (http://freshmeat.net/users/opetzold/)
  Saturday, December 7th 2002 01:18

Scientific/Engineering
Scientific/Engineering :: Mathematics
Software Development

About: This Tiny Vector and Matrix template library uses Meta Templates
and Expression Templates (ET) to evaluate results at compile time, thus
making it fast for low-end systems. Temporaries are avoided because of
this. The produced code is similar to hand-coded code, but the quality of
the code still depends on the compiler and its version. The dimensions for
vectors and matrices are static and bounded at compile time using template
arguments.

Changes: This release fixes some small bugs and enhances functionality and
portability. It also includes benchmarks against blitz++, ublas, and MTL.

License: GNU Lesser General Public License (LGPL)

                        - %  - %  - % - % -

[042] - VideoDB 2002-12-07
  by Andreas Gohr (http://freshmeat.net/users/agohr/)
  Saturday, December 7th 2002 10:37

Database
Database :: Front-Ends
Games/Entertainment

About: VideoDB is a database to manage your personal video collection.
It's mainly designed for videofiles but you can also put your DVDs and VHS
tapes in it. It features fetching movie data/covers from the Internet
Movie Database (IMDb), local caching of coverimages, an option to mark
movies as seen, a search by genre or title/subtitle/plot/cast data, a
filter for TV episodes, a random movie function and a simple borrow
manager. It is a personal database, so no user management/authentication
scheme is implemented. Everybody may add/edit/delete movies.

License: GNU General Public License (GPL)

                        - %  - %  - % - % -

[043] - Winhunt 0.12
  by Romano Kleinwächter (http://freshmeat.net/users/rkleinwaechter/)
  Saturday, December 7th 2002 13:38

Games/Entertainment :: First Person Shooters

About: Winhunt is a 2D shooter game written in C++ and based on the SDL
library. You have the job to kill all Windows similar symbols on the
screen that fly around.

Changes: A window icon was added. The count-down update bug was fixed. A
clear bonus was added. If you kill all targets without reloading your
ammo, you'll get 111 extra points.

License: GNU General Public License (GPL)

                        - %  - %  - % - % -

[044] - wordtrans 1.1pre12 (Stable)
  by rvmsoft (http://freshmeat.net/users/rvmsoft/)
  Saturday, December 7th 2002 23:36

Utilities

About: Wordtrans is a frontend for several dictionaries. It supports some
plain text dictionaries such as i2e (English-Spanish) and de-en
(German-English), Babylon Translator dictionaries, and dict servers
dictionaries. Some features include console and X (Qt) versions, good
speed, and the ability to watch the clipboard and automatically translate
the word there.

Changes: This version fixes some problems with Qt 3, and adds
documentation in French and a new version of Wordtrans-Web.

License: GNU General Public License (GPL)

                        - %  - %  - % - % -

[045] - Xenomorph Image Processor 0.5.1
  by ewald72 (http://freshmeat.net/users/ewald72/)
  Saturday, December 7th 2002 13:31

Multimedia :: Graphics
Scientific/Engineering :: Image Recognition
Scientific/Engineering :: Medical Science Apps.

About: Xenomorph is a floating-point image processor built for precision,
not for speed. It includes a big, extendable set of filters, including
linear, polynomial, and morphologic operators. It is the only system
allowing morphologic volterra filters.

Changes: This version is the same as 0.5, except that it was modified to
allow compilation with GCC 3.x as well as GCC 2.x.

License: GNU General Public License (GPL)