List:       freshmeat-news
Subject:    [fm-news] Newsletter for Wednesday, December 04th 2002
From:       freshmeat-news-admin () lists ! freshmeat ! net
Date:       2002-12-05 8:10:06

> > > L I N K S   F O R   T H E   D A Y :::

Today's news on the web: http://freshmeat.net/daily/2002/12/04/
freshmeat.net newsgroup: news://news.freshmeat.net/fm.announce

--.  ------ --.-.-- ---.--.-- .----- ---- .-..----- -.---.  --. .

> > > A D V E R T I S I N G :::

Microsoft Visual Studio .NET

is today's comprehensive development tool for the  task at hand, built to
help you overcome programming challenges and increase productivity.
Discover what it can do for you, today.  Click here to try a free online
hosted session.

http://ad.doubleclick.net/clk;4787263;7673525;x?http://msdn.protier.com/admin/skins/vsdemo/freetrial.aspx?source=OSDN_general_newsletter

--.- -...-.-.--- --- .----- .  -.-  -- - -- -.-.---- --- -  --.--

> > > R E L E A S E   H E A D L I N E S (84) :::

[001] - afio 2.4.7.9beta4 (Beta)
[002] - Amaya 7.0
[003] - Arkeia 5.0.8
[004] - atop 1.8
[005] - Basic Local Alignment Search Tool 12-2002
[006] - cDonkey 0.5.3
[007] - cfg2html 1.99 (HP-UX)
[008] - CGIProxy 2.0.1a
[009] - Clover framework 0.2
[010] - Code striker 1.6.1
[011] - Coldtags suite 1.20
[012] - Connect Daily Web Calendar 2.1.9
[013] - cvsplot 1.6.2
[014] - Cyrus IMAP Server 2.1.11
[015] - Dia2Postgres 20021204 (CVS Snapshots)
[016] - Dialog CD Label 1.1
[017] - Dialog CD Writer 1.3
[018] - DNews 5.6e3
[019] - Dropline GNOME 1.3.0
[020] - Enigma Mailer 0.3.6
[021] - eZ publish 3.0b4 (Unstable)
[022] - Fast OnlineUpdate for SuSE 0.9.0beta6 (Beta)
[023] - FLASH Code 2.2 (Stable)
[024] - Fle3 1.4.0b
[025] - Flight Gear 0.9.0
[026] - Ghemical 1.50alpha (Development)
[027] - Ghemical 1.00
[028] - GL-117 0.8
[029] - Globus Toolkit 2.2
[030] - GNU Pth 2.0b2 (Development)
[031] - GSMBClient 0.1.9
[032] - harvest 1.9.1
[033] - HaXml 1.08
[034] - IlohaMail 0.7.9-RC1
[035] - Impact 0.2.1
[036] - jsSnow 0.1
[037] - KMediagrab 0.1
[038] - KSocrat 3.0
[039] - KTextDecode 3.0
[040] - LibDsk 0.9.9 (Development)
[041] - Linux Firewall 2.0rc7pre1 (Development)
[042] - LogJam 4.0.1
[043] - Microbrew Message Center 0.1.2
[044] - Mojo Mail 2.7.1
[045] - Monkey HTTP Daemon 0.5.2 (Development)
[046] - Mysql Data Manager 1.51
[047] - neo-Portal 3
[048] - nmaFPS 0.77 beta
[049] - Noname Network 0.1.7
[050] - NSS MySQL Library 0.7
[051] - nut 7.8
[052] - OGRE 0.99f
[053] - OSSP sa 1.0.2
[054] - Otak 1.2.20
[055] - PHP SQL Replicator 0.4 Beta
[056] - phpLicenseWatcher 1.0.0
[057] - phpOpenTracker 1.0.2
[058] - PHPRecipeBook 1.23
[059] - PTlink Services 2.22.3 (Stable)
[060] - py-joyx 0.0.1
[061] - Qadmin 0.1 Beta
[062] - Riggy 1.0
[063] - sendEmail 1.40
[064] - Simple C Expat Wrapper 0.1.0
[065] - Simple Rescue CD 1.1.5
[066] - SmartSieve 0.3.2devel
[067] - Sniffdet 0.7
[068] - STORE 1.0.1
[069] - SVL 1.5
[070] - SWH Plugins 0.3.2
[071] - SWISH++ 5.12.1
[072] - System Installer 0.95 (Development)
[073] - The Tamber Project 1.1.28 (Pogo)
[074] - TightVNC 1.2.7
[075] - tnailer 1.1
[076] - ttf2pt1 3.4.3
[077] - uClinux 2.4.20-uc0 (2.4.x)
[078] - UploadBean 1.2.1
[079] - vlogger 0.3
[080] - Voice XML php class 1.0.2
[081] - WebUtils 1.0.2
[082] - WIMS 3.24
[083] - Yet Another Advanced Log Analyzer 0.5.2 (Experimental)
[084] - Zoe Intertwingle 0.2.9 (Stable)

.- .---  ----.  -- - -----.---  .- ----.- -- ..  -.- - .--.----.-

> > > R E L E A S E   D E T A I L S :::

[001] - afio 2.4.7.9beta4 (Beta)
  by Koen Holtman (http://freshmeat.net/users/kholtman/)
  Wednesday, December 4th 2002 18:09

System :: Archiving :: Backup
System :: Archiving :: Compression

About: Afio makes cpio-format archives. It deals somewhat gracefully with
input data corruption, supports multi-volume archives during interactive
operation, and can make compressed archives that are much safer than
compressed tar or cpio archives. Afio is best used as an `archive engine'
in a backup script.

Changes: >2GB file and archive support were added. Use of this beta is
definitely not recommended if you do not need >2GB support.

License: GNU Lesser General Public License (LGPL)

                        - %  - %  - % - % -

[002] - Amaya 7.0
  by Paul (http://freshmeat.net/users/Amayadev/)
  Wednesday, December 4th 2002 01:48

Internet :: WWW/HTTP :: Browsers

About: Amaya is a complete web browsing and authoring environment and
comes equipped with a WYSIWYG style of interface. It lets users both
browse and author valid Web pages, with standards including (X)HTML,
native MathML, and SVG documents. It also includes a collaborative
annotation application (RDF).

Changes: The new features include several user interface enhancements, a
migration to the Raptor parser, and improved support for XML, SVG, and
CSS. An OpenGL version is now shipping with support for SVG opacity and
PNG transparency, and Font anti-aliasing under Unix. Documentation for
languages other than English are now packaged separately.

License: W3C License

                        - %  - %  - % - % -

[003] - Arkeia 5.0.8
  by Arkeia Software Corp (http://freshmeat.net/users/arkeia/)
  Wednesday, December 4th 2002 07:55

System :: Archiving :: Backup

About: Arkeia is the solution for automated backup/archiving and
restoration on Linux, UNIX, and Windows NT networks. ARKEIA utilizes an
exclusive multi-flow technology to deliver speeds that are 200 to 300%
faster than rival software packages. Its unique transaction engine allows
multiple backups and restores to be performed simultaneously with total
reliability. This is especially valuable for multiple users backing up or
restoring data on their own. (A multiple drive library is required).

Changes: The GUI was redesigned and enhanced. Hardware detection was added
to automatically detect devices such as drives and robotics. Other new
features include library sharing, cleaning tape drives, tape duplication,
and backup server catalog optimization. Plugin technology was implemented
for specialized tasks. Some available plugins include a disaster recovery
module and a MySQL hotbackup plugin. FreeBSD 4.x, NetBSD, OpenBSD, and
Netware Novell 5 & 6 are now supported.

License: Other/Proprietary License with Free Trial

                        - %  - %  - % - % -

[004] - atop 1.8
  by Gerlof Langeveld (http://freshmeat.net/users/gela/)
  Wednesday, December 4th 2002 06:42

System :: Monitoring
System :: Networking :: Monitoring
System :: Systems Administration

About: Atop is an ASCII full-screen performance monitor, similar to the
top command. At regular intervals, it shows system-level activity related
to the CPU, memory, swap, disks and network layers, and it shows for every
active process the CPU utilization in system and user mode, the virtual
and resident memory growth, priority, username, state, and exit code. The
process level activity is also shown for processes which finished during
the last interval, to get a complete overview about the consumers of
things such as CPU time. Atop only shows the active system-resources and
processes, and only shows the deviations since the previous interval.

Changes: Long-term logging to compressed raw files is automatically
reactivated after a reboot of the system. This means that this feature is
now also available for systems that do not run continually. A bug that
prevented the interval registered in the logfile from being larger than
65535 seconds was fixed.

License: GNU General Public License (GPL)

                        - %  - %  - % - % -

[005] - Basic Local Alignment Search Tool 12-2002
  by Kalou (http://freshmeat.net/users/olivierkaloudoff/)
  Wednesday, December 4th 2002 21:46

About: BLAST is a set of similarity search programs  designed to explore
all of the available sequence  databases regardless of whether the query
is  protein or DNA. It uses a heuristic algorithm which  seeks local as
opposed to global alignments and is  therefore able to detect
relationships among  sequences which share only isolated regions of
similarity. It can be run locally as a full executable  and can be used to
run BLAST searches against  private, local databases, or downloaded copies
of  the NCBI databases. It runs on Macintosh, Win32,  LINUX, Solaris, IBM
AIX, SGI, Compaq OSF, and HP- UX systems.

License: Open Software License

                        - %  - %  - % - % -

[006] - cDonkey 0.5.3
  by Thomas Lußnig (http://freshmeat.net/users/bemel/)
  Wednesday, December 4th 2002 05:16

Communications :: File Sharing
Internet

About: cDonkey is an open source core client for eDonkey without a GUI. It
works together with eMule and ed2k_gui. It uses Berkley DB-4.1 for fast
List management. The eMule Packet data and source2source exchange was
implemented. It currently only works with Linux.

Changes: Some asserts were fixed. The code was cleaned up. A speedup was
for the GUI, and UL/DL handling was improved. The movement to C++ is
nearly done. Help is wanted to make it compatible with Berkley DB-4.0.

License: GNU General Public License (GPL)

                        - %  - %  - % - % -

[007] - cfg2html 1.99 (HP-UX)
  by yngve (http://freshmeat.net/users/yngve/)
  Wednesday, December 4th 2002 13:17

System :: Systems Administration

About: Cfg2html is a UNIX shell script that creates  HTML and plain ASCII
system documentation  for software and hardware configurations. It
supports HP-UX 10.xx/11.xx, SunOS/Solaris,  AIX, SCO Open Server, Linux
(SUSE, Debian,  and RedHat), and NT4.0/Win2000 systems.  Plugins for SAP
R/3, Oracle, Informix, Samba  and SWAT, ITO and NNM, XP48, XP256 &  XP512,
SureStore E, SuperDome, OLA/R,  SCM, AutoRAID, FC60, Tip/X, MC/SG, and
OmniBack are included.

Changes: This release contains minor updates in functionality.

License: Freeware

                        - %  - %  - % - % -

[008] - CGIProxy 2.0.1a
  by James Marshall (http://freshmeat.net/users/jamesmarshall/)
  Wednesday, December 4th 2002 11:11

Communications :: File Sharing
Internet :: WWW/HTTP
Internet :: WWW/HTTP :: Browsers

About: CGIProxy is a Perl CGI script that acts as an Internet proxy.
Through it, you can retrieve resources that may be inaccessible from your
own machine. The user is kept as anonymous as possible from any servers.
HTTP and FTP are supported, and optionally SSL. Common uses include
VPN-like setups, anonymous proxies, personal proxies, and others. Options
include text-only browsing (to save bandwidth), selective cookie and
script removal, simple ad filtering, access restriction by server, encoded
target URLs and cookies, configuration by end user, and much more
(currently about 45 config options). An online demo is available.

Changes: The focus of this release is to improve compatibility and
installability in various environments. There is support for SSL proxy
with optional authentication. On BSDI and possibly other systems, the
script no longer fails with "Address family not supported". Caches now
refresh as expected. The $RUNNING_ON_WINDOWS flag is no longer needed. The
display accuracy of certain pages when using MSIE has been improved. A
compilation bug with certain older versions of Perl has been fixed.

License: Free for non-commercial use

                        - %  - %  - % - % -

[009] - Clover framework 0.2
  by David Pavlis (http://freshmeat.net/users/dpavlis/)
  Wednesday, December 4th 2002 21:51

Database

About: CloverETL is Java-based framework for creating ETL transformations.
It follows the concept of transformation graphs which consist of
individual nodes performing simple operations on data. Any transformation
can be defined as a set of interconnected nodes through which data flows.

Changes: The delimited data parser now supports delimiters up to 32
characters long. A component for sorting data was added, and there is
better handling and reporting of errors. There are some improvements in
speed, and some parts were slightly redesigned.

License: GNU General Public License (GPL)

                        - %  - %  - % - % -

[010] - Code striker 1.6.1
  by David Sitsky (http://freshmeat.net/users/sits/)
  Wednesday, December 4th 2002 16:06

Internet :: WWW/HTTP :: Dynamic Content :: CGI Tools/Libraries
Software Development
Software Development :: Quality Assurance

About: Codestriker is a Perl CGI script that is used for performing code
reviews in a collaborative fashion, as opposed to using patches sent in
unstructured emails. Authors create code review topics, and the nominated
reviewers are automatically notified by email. Reviewers can view the
proposed diff in plain text mode, coloured-diff mode, and can also view
the original and new files that comprise the review in their entirety when
Codestriker is linked with CVS. Comments are made on a per-line basis, and
comments submitted by the other reviewers can be viewed as they are
created. Emails are sent to the appropriate parties when comments are
created. The author is free to submit comments against the review
comments. The end result is a structured set of review comments instead of
a pile of unstructured emails. Codestriker also features the ability to
search over existing topics in a variety of ways.

Changes: Topics now supports a "repository" attribute, which links a topic
to the associated CVS repository the code change is based on. The
specification of a repository can be a local path, or a
cvsweb.cgi/viwecvs.cgi URL + cvsroot. More of the HTML output was
templated, including a header and trailer template for easier site
customisation, and the general look-n-feel was improved. Codestriker (in a
limited form) is deployed online at Sourceforge.

License: GNU General Public License (GPL)

                        - %  - %  - % - % -

[011] - Coldtags suite 1.20
  by ColdJava (http://freshmeat.net/users/coldjava/)
  Wednesday, December 4th 2002 01:44

Internet :: WWW/HTTP :: Dynamic Content
Software Development :: Libraries :: Java Libraries

About: The Coldtags suite is a collection of custom  JSP tags that
provides 90+ custom JSP tags  for common programming tasks faced by JSP
developers. It also includes custom tags similar  to the Web controls in
the .NET framework.

Changes: New tags were included, including new components similar to
ASP.NET. There are now over 120 components.

License: Free for non-commercial use

                        - %  - %  - % - % -

[012] - Connect Daily Web Calendar 2.1.9
  by George Sexton (http://freshmeat.net/users/gsexton/)
  Wednesday, December 4th 2002 08:10

Internet
Internet :: WWW/HTTP
Internet :: WWW/HTTP :: Dynamic Content :: CGI Tools/Libraries

About: Connect Daily, a Web-based calendaring system, allows multiple
users to add and edit calendar events using a Web browser. The calendar
display can be directly integrated into your Web site. It provides
advanced capabilities for managing resources and facilities. The approval
processes allow many users to edit calendars, with the assurance that all
items added are approved. It supports event download to MS Outlook.

Changes: The Palm PDA event download feature is now complete. A modular
authentication subsystem that supports LDAP authentication for logins was
added. This also permits custom authentication drop-in modules. Handling
of hierarchical list dropdowns was improved. Sample code that demonstrates
programatically adding events was added. Several minor enhancements and
bugfixes were made.

License: Other/Proprietary License with Free Trial

                        - %  - %  - % - % -

[013] - cvsplot 1.6.2
  by David Sitsky (http://freshmeat.net/users/sits/)
  Wednesday, December 4th 2002 03:24

Software Development :: Version Control :: CVS
Utilities

About: Cvsplot is a Perl script which analyses the history of a
CVS-managed project. The script executes on a set of files, analyses their
history, and automatically generates graphs that plot lines of code and
number of files against time.

Changes: Its possible to generate a single plot containing both the line
and file statistics, handle CVS repositories with non-standard revision
numbers (such as those with a head starting at 8.1), and to use the
ShellQuote module for better handling of unusual filenames. Error handling
for when CVS commands fail was also improved.

License: GNU General Public License (GPL)

                        - %  - %  - % - % -

[014] - Cyrus IMAP Server 2.1.11
  by Rob Siemborski (http://freshmeat.net/users/robsiemb/)
  Wednesday, December 4th 2002 13:18

Communications :: Email :: Post-Office :: IMAP
Internet

About: The Cyrus IMAP server is generally intended to be run on sealed
systems, where normal users are not permitted to log in. The mailbox
database is stored in parts of the filesystem that are private to Cyrus.
All user access to mail is through the IMAP, POP3, or KPOP protocols. The
private mailbox database design gives the server large advantages in
efficiency, scalability, and administratability. Multiple concurrent
read/write connections to the same mailbox are permitted. The server
supports access control lists on mailboxes and storage quotas on mailbox
hierarchies, multiple SASL mechanisms, and the Sieve mail filtering
language.

Changes: This release corrects the pre-login buffer overflow
vulnerabilities recently mentioned on BUGTRAQ.

License: OSI Approved

                        - %  - %  - % - % -

[015] - Dia2Postgres 20021204 (CVS Snapshots)
  by T.S. (http://freshmeat.net/users/tseeker/)
  Wednesday, December 4th 2002 18:03

Database
Software Development :: Code Generators
Software Development :: Pre-processors

About: Dia2Postgres is a Perl script that can be used  to convert Dia
diagrams into PostgreSQL  scripts or PHP mirror classes which can add,
update, and modify table entries automatically.  It has support for
inheritance, simple  references (limited to a single field), and a fake
enum type which creates a table.

Changes: Reworked PHP classes and generated code, and new features like
auto-generated HTML forms and better row description handling. Note that
previous code needs to be modified to work with this new version.

License: GNU General Public License (GPL)

                        - %  - %  - % - % -

[016] - Dialog CD Label 1.1
  by Galtarossa Umberto (http://freshmeat.net/users/umberoot/)
  Wednesday, December 4th 2002 13:22

Database :: Front-Ends
Multimedia :: Graphics :: Presentation

About: Dialog CD Label is a Dialog-based application that uses LaTeX to
make CD covers.

Changes: Some safety controls and some minor improvements.

License: GNU General Public License (GPL)

                        - %  - %  - % - % -

[017] - Dialog CD Writer 1.3
  by Galtarossa Umberto (http://freshmeat.net/users/umberoot/)
  Wednesday, December 4th 2002 13:21

About: Dialog CD Writer is a dialog front end to burn CDs under GNU/Linux
and Unix. It can write data and audio CDs, make MP3 files, and ISO images,
and burn on-the-fly copies. X is not need to run the script.

Changes: Some safety controls and some minor improvements.

License: GNU General Public License (GPL)

                        - %  - %  - % - % -

[018] - DNews 5.6e3
  by Gianluigi Salerno (http://freshmeat.net/users/gsalerno/)
  Wednesday, December 4th 2002 09:16

Communications :: Usenet News

About: The DNEWS News Server is a (USENET) news server. Installing your
own local news server software gives you complete control to create your
own discussion forums for communication. DNews News Server software
provides many features, including ease-of-use, reliability, and
scalability.

License: Other/Proprietary License with Free Trial

                        - %  - %  - % - % -

[019] - Dropline GNOME 1.3.0
  by Todd Kulesza (http://freshmeat.net/users/tdk/)
  Wednesday, December 4th 2002 13:15

Desktop Environment :: Gnome

About: Dropline GNOME is a version of the GNOME Desktop that has been
tweaked for Slackware Linux systems. It is available in Slackware's
standard .tgz package format, in addition to the usual source code. The
current release is based off of the latest GNOME 2 distribution from the
GNOME Project.

Changes: GNOME components have been updated to 2.0.3. The Dropline
Installer has been updated to fix a problem with local installs. FreeType
has been updated to the stable 2.1.3 release, Gnumeric to 1.1.12, and
Mozilla to 1.2.1. The Themes package has been rebuilt to include more
artwork plus a new GDM theme. The Bubblemon monitoring applet and Pan news
reader have been added. Pkgconfig has been added for developers. GNOME
Meeting and associated programs (SDL, Openh323, PWLib, OpenLDAP, and
Speex) have been added.

License: GNU General Public License (GPL)

                        - %  - %  - % - % -

[020] - Enigma Mailer 0.3.6
  by Fang (http://freshmeat.net/users/mwjr/)
  Wednesday, December 4th 2002 18:08

Communications :: Email
Security :: Cryptography

About: Enigmailer allows you to send enciphered email with an optional
password hint. The recipient receives a mail message with a link to the
script to facilitate deciphering. It comes in two versions, one for
enciphering mail, the other also supporting multiple recipients, read
receipts, attachments, and logging to allow the recipient to verify the
credentials of the sender. Unlike other secure mail systems, it allows you
to use your existing email address rather than forcing you to setup and
use yet another one, and it does not require the recipient to have
software installed on their machine (other than a browser).

Changes: Fixes for reply code segments, and merging mail file creation
code into common functions.

License: GNU General Public License (GPL)

                        - %  - %  - % - % -

[021] - eZ publish 3.0b4 (Unstable)
  by eZ systems (http://freshmeat.net/users/eZsystems/)
  Wednesday, December 4th 2002 03:10

Internet
Internet :: WWW/HTTP
Internet :: WWW/HTTP :: Dynamic Content

About: eZ publish is a professional open source content management system
(CMS). It lets you update and maintain the content of your site through a
user friendly Web interface, eliminating the need for HTML code. It is
dual licenced under the GPL and the eZ publish Professional licence, where
you can get the right to use the source code for making your own
commercial software. It is useful for building Web sites, Web shops,
intranets/extranets, news sites, portals, and more.

Changes: VAT handling and basic information collection features were
added, and lots of minor feature enhancements and bugfixes were made.

License: GNU General Public License (GPL)

                        - %  - %  - % - % -

[022] - Fast OnlineUpdate for SuSE 0.9.0beta6 (Beta)
  by Markus Gaugusch (http://freshmeat.net/users/mgaugusch/)
  Wednesday, December 4th 2002 16:16

Security
System :: Systems Administration

About: Fast OnlineUpdate for SuSE (fou4s) is a bash script that provides
the functionality of YOU (YaST OnlineUpdate), but can also work in
background and check for updates every night. It supports resumed
downloads and proxies by using wget. GPG signatures are also checked.

Changes: This beta branch features complete new checking mechanism (much
faster and reliable), a progress bar, automatic update to next beta of
fou4s, and better networking abilities. It is also possible to give a list
of servers where the first one should take most of the load (e.g. a
mirror), while the second contains the newest updates (e.g. ftp.suse.com).

License: GNU General Public License (GPL)

                        - %  - %  - % - % -

[023] - FLASH Code 2.2 (Stable)
  by FLASH Code Team (http://freshmeat.net/users/ljdursi/)
  Wednesday, December 4th 2002 22:12

Scientific/Engineering :: Astronomy
Scientific/Engineering :: Mathematics

About: The FLASH code is a modular, adaptive, parallel simulation code
capable of handling general compressible flow problems in astrophysical
environments. It has been designed to allow users to configure initial and
boundary conditions, change algorithms, and add new physical effects with
minimal effort. It uses the PARAMESH library to manage a block-structured
adaptive grid, placing resolution elements only where they are needed
most. It uses the Message-Passing Interface (MPI) library to achieve
portability and scalability on a variety of different message-passing
parallel computers.

Changes: In this release, improvements include expanded documentation,
internal and in the users guide, a cleaned-up code base, including better
support for many compilers, better I/O with higher serial performance,
extended data stored in the checkpoint files, and tools to convert output
to TecPlot or ChomboVis formats, better support for non-Cartesian
geometries, and much-improved gravity solvers. There are new features for
the MHD and hydro (PPM) solvers, and support for cosmological expansion.

License: Free for non-commercial use

                        - %  - %  - % - % -

[024] - Fle3 1.4.0b
  by Janne Pietarila (http://freshmeat.net/users/jmp123/)
  Wednesday, December 4th 2002 07:16

Education
Internet
Internet :: WWW/HTTP

About: Fle3 is a Web-based learning environment. More specifically, it is
a server program for computer-supported collaborative learning (CSCL). The
Fle3 Knowledge Building tool allows groups to carry out dialogues, theory
building, and debates by storing their thoughts into a shared database.
While knowledge building, groups may use knowledge types (also called
thinking types) to scaffold and structure their dialogues. Fle3 WebTops
can be used to store items such as files and notes, organize them in
folders, and share them with others. The Fle3 Jamming tool is a shared
space for collaborative construction of multimedia data.

Changes: Changes include UI improvements in many places, bugfixes,
roleplaying roles for course contexts, search in Knowledge Building and
WebTops, and quota for WebTops. As this is a beta release, all
translations are not updated.

License: GNU General Public License (GPL)

                        - %  - %  - % - % -

[025] - Flight Gear 0.9.0
  by Curt Olson (http://freshmeat.net/users/clolson/)
  Wednesday, December 4th 2002 05:09

Games/Entertainment

About: The Flight Gear Flight Simulator project is a free, open-source,
multi-platform, cooperative flight sim development project. Source code
for the entire project is available and licensed under the GPL. The Flight
Gear project is working to create a sophisticated flight simulator
framework for the development and pursuit of interesting flight simulator
ideas. We are developing a good basic sim that can be expanded and
improved upon by anyone interested in contributing.

Changes: This is a development release. The 3D cockpit support has been
enhanced to include support for fully animated and clickable 3D objects.
The out-the-window visuals have been improved with runway and taxiway
lighting. Aircraft modeling has also improved with the addition of models
for the vacuum, pitot-static, and electical systems. Other enhancements
include localization support for menus and command line option help and
support for additional joysticks "out of the box". This release requires
plib 1.6.0, SimGear 0.3.0, and the 0.9.0 release of the FlightGear base
package.

License: GNU General Public License (GPL)

                        - %  - %  - % - % -

[026] - Ghemical 1.50alpha (Development)
  by TH (http://freshmeat.net/users/thassine/)
  Wednesday, December 4th 2002 02:53

Scientific/Engineering
Scientific/Engineering :: Bioinformatics
Scientific/Engineering :: Chemistry

About: Ghemical is a molecular modelling software package with a GUI (one
for the GLUT library, and another for GNOME), and some nice
3D-visualization tools. It supports methods based on both molecular
mechanics and quantum mechanics (using MOPAC7, and MPQC for QM). The
geometry optimization (for MM and QM) and molecular dynamics (for MM)
algorithms are included. Ghemical is written in C++, and hopefully offers
a good framework for a generic freeware molecular modelling tool.

Changes: Multiple projects for QM, MM, and other model types are now
unified into a single project type.

License: GNU General Public License (GPL)

                        - %  - %  - % - % -

[027] - Ghemical 1.00
  by TH (http://freshmeat.net/users/thassine/)
  Wednesday, December 4th 2002 02:45

Scientific/Engineering
Scientific/Engineering :: Bioinformatics
Scientific/Engineering :: Chemistry

About: Ghemical is a molecular modelling software package with a GUI (one
for the GLUT library, and another for GNOME), and some nice
3D-visualization tools. It supports methods based on both molecular
mechanics and quantum mechanics (using MOPAC7, and MPQC for QM). The
geometry optimization (for MM and QM) and molecular dynamics (for MM)
algorithms are included. Ghemical is written in C++, and hopefully offers
a good framework for a generic freeware molecular modelling tool.

Changes: The graphical user interface is now complete, making it
unnecessary to access the console window. The file format issues were
clarified, so that both quantum mechanics and molecular mechanics projects
use the same file format.

License: GNU General Public License (GPL)

                        - %  - %  - % - % -

[028] - GL-117 0.8
  by Tom (http://freshmeat.net/users/Heptargon/)
  Wednesday, December 4th 2002 01:40

Games/Entertainment
Games/Entertainment :: Simulation

About: GL-117 is an OpenGL- and SDL-based action flight simulator written
in C++. It provides a random terrain generator, lighting effects, sounds,
and joystick support.

Changes: Chaff and flare countermeasures and radar and heat seeking
missiles have been added. The entire interface can now be remapped with a
script. Lots of minor improvements were made, including an important
buffer overflow bugfix.

License: GNU General Public License (GPL)

                        - %  - %  - % - % -

[029] - Globus Toolkit 2.2
  by Kalou (http://freshmeat.net/users/olivierkaloudoff/)
  Wednesday, December 4th 2002 09:15

Software Development :: Libraries

About: Globus is a project to provide robust, secure, peer-to-peer
distributed computing on supercomputers, clusters, and other
high-performance systems. It differs from other such network toolkits in
that it is tuned to the needs of high-end machines.

Changes: The components were updated, including GRAM, MDS, GridFTP, and
GSI. Callback spaces were added.

License: Open Software License

                        - %  - %  - % - % -

[030] - GNU Pth 2.0b2 (Development)
  by Ralf S. Engelschall (http://freshmeat.net/users/rse/)
  Wednesday, December 4th 2002 07:14

Software Development :: Libraries

About: GNU Portable Threads (Pth) is a very portable POSIX/ANSI-C based
library for Unix platforms providing non-preemptive priority-based
scheduling for multiple threads of execution ("multithreading") inside
server applications. All threads run in the same address space, but each
thread has its own individual program-counter, run-time stack, signal mask
and errno variable. The scheduling is done in a cooperative way, i.e. the
threads are dispatched based on priority and pending events. The event
facility allows threads to wait until various types of events occur,
including pending I/O on filedescriptors, elapsed timers, pending I/O on
message ports, thread and process termination, and even customized
callback functions.

Changes: The build environment was upgraded to GNU Autoconf 2.57. Compiler
warnings which occurred under Linux were fixed. Error handling was fixed
in pth_init(3): it now correctly returns an error instead of calling
abort(3). Soft syscall mapping for the nanosleep(3) and usleep(3)
functions was added to the Pthread API.

License: GNU Lesser General Public License (LGPL)

                        - %  - %  - % - % -

[031] - GSMBClient 0.1.9
  by Magnus-swe (http://freshmeat.net/users/magnusswe/)
  Wednesday, December 4th 2002 11:23

Communications :: File Sharing
Desktop Environment :: File Managers
System :: Networking

About: GSMBClient is a GTK 2 frontend for smbclient. It lets you browse
Samba shares, upload/download files or directories, etc.

Changes: This release adds a progress bar that shows the scan's progress
and the Samba servers it finds.

License: GNU General Public License (GPL)

                        - %  - %  - % - % -

[032] - harvest 1.9.1
  by kjl (http://freshmeat.net/users/kjl/)
  Wednesday, December 4th 2002 01:40

Internet :: WWW/HTTP :: Indexing/Search
Internet :: Z39.50
Text Processing :: Indexing

About: Harvest is a system to collect information and make it searchable
using a Web interface. It can collect information using HTTP, FTP, NNTP,
and local files. Supported formats include HTML, DVI, PS, fulltext, mail,
man pages, news, troff, WordPerfect, C sources, and many more. Adding
support for new formats is easy due to Harvest's modular design.

Changes: This release uses yaz-1.9.2 and idzebra-1.3.4.

License: Free for non-commercial use

                        - %  - %  - % - % -

[033] - HaXml 1.08
  by Malcolm Wallace (http://freshmeat.net/users/MalcolmWallace/)
  Wednesday, December 4th 2002 06:15

Software Development
Software Development :: Libraries
Text Processing :: Markup :: XML

About: HaXml is a suite of libraries and tools for  manipulating XML
documents in Haskell. It  includes a parser, a pretty-printer, a
validator,  a combinator library for transforming  documents, and
converters for changing a  Haskell datatype into an XML DTD, and for
changing an XML DTD into a set of Haskell  datatypes. There are also tools
for a query  language based on XQL.

Changes: A new function, partialValidate, omits the check for whether the
document's root element type matches the DTD's root element. This is
useful to validate any partial document or sub-document. The htmlprint
function had a small bug which caused it to loop infinitely if some text
was longer than 60 characters without a space. The Xtract parser and
combinators are now included in the HaXml library package, rather than
existing solely for the Xtract command-line tool. HaXml now works nicely
with ghc-5.04.x, as well as ghc-5.02.x and nhc98.

License: Artistic License

                        - %  - %  - % - % -

[034] - IlohaMail 0.7.9-RC1
  by Ryo Chijiiwa (http://freshmeat.net/users/ryochiji/)
  Wednesday, December 4th 2002 01:49

Communications :: Email :: Email Clients (MUA)
Internet :: WWW/HTTP :: Dynamic Content

About: IlohaMail is a lightweight, multilingual Webmail client that is
easy to use and install. It runs on a stock build of PHP, and does not
require databases (although database support is available) or the IMAP
library (it is powered by a custom IMAP/POP3 library). It supports all
essential functionality, including a full contacts list and a user
customizable interface. Other features include support for multiple
domains (virtual hosts), built-in spam prevention, and activity logging.

Changes: This version features attachment forwarding, tag lines, improved
UTF-8 support, auto-appending of strings to user ID's, and streamlined
handling of attachments. The Spanish and German translations have been
updated, and a Romanian translation was added. Numerous bugfixes and minor
enhancements were also included.

License: GNU General Public License (GPL)

                        - %  - %  - % - % -

[035] - Impact 0.2.1
  by jonas forssell (http://freshmeat.net/users/jonasforssell/)
  Wednesday, December 4th 2002 13:16

Scientific/Engineering

About: Impact is a finite element program based on an explicit time
stepping algorithm. It can be used to simulate dynamic events such as car
crashes or other large deformation events. It is written in Java and is
kept very simple, to make it intuitive to use and easy to change and
extend. It is very flexible and can handle several different input and
output formats.

Changes: Node has been added to the surface contact algorithm. There is a
new Contact_Triangle element, a contact sensitive Shell_C0_3 element,
updated manuals, and a new contact example file. New configuration files
for the GiD preprocessor make it easier to generate indata files for
Impact.

License: GNU General Public License (GPL)

                        - %  - %  - % - % -

[036] - jsSnow 0.1
  by yaq1 (http://freshmeat.net/users/yaq1/)
  Wednesday, December 4th 2002 23:58

Games/Entertainment
Internet :: WWW/HTTP
Multimedia :: Graphics

About: jsSnow is a port of XSnow to JavaScript. The  framerate is
auto-adjusted, and it works for  Mozilla, Netscape (>=4), and IE (>=4).

License: GNU General Public License (GPL)

                        - %  - %  - % - % -

[037] - KMediagrab 0.1
  by Francesco (http://freshmeat.net/users/reeenko/)
  Wednesday, December 4th 2002 22:02

Multimedia :: Video :: Capture

About: KMediagrab is a media grabber and encoder built on  top of
mplayer/mencoder. It can grab and encode  a DVD at the same time (e.g.,
creating a divx or a  videocd file for instance), record a movie or your
favourite TV program from your TV-card, or  translate a video file from
one format to another  (e.g., create a realplayer file from a .wmv one).

License: GNU General Public License (GPL)

                        - %  - %  - % - % -

[038] - KSocrat 3.0
  by Zavolzhsky Alexandr (http://freshmeat.net/users/alexandrzavolzhsky/)
  Wednesday, December 4th 2002 11:17

Text Processing :: Linguistic

About: KSocrat is the simple English/Russian and Russian/English
dictionary for the K Desktop Environment.

Changes: This release has been ported to KDE 3.

License: GNU General Public License (GPL)

                        - %  - %  - % - % -

[039] - KTextDecode 3.0
  by Zavolzhsky Alexandr (http://freshmeat.net/users/alexandrzavolzhsky/)
  Wednesday, December 4th 2002 11:19

Text Processing :: General

About: KTextDecode is a simple conversion utility for Cyrilic texts with
support for the following decode types: DOS text file Unix text file,
Windows text file Unix text file, and ISO8859-5 text file Unix text file.

Changes: This release has been ported to KDE 3.

License: GNU General Public License (GPL)

                        - %  - %  - % - % -

[040] - LibDsk 0.9.9 (Development)
  by John Elliott (http://freshmeat.net/users/johnelliott/)
  Wednesday, December 4th 2002 13:19

System :: Emulators

About: LibDsk is a library that attempts to create uniform functions for
accessing floppy drives, raw "dd" disk images, and disk image files in
various emulator formats. Its intended use is for emulator authors; it
also includes some sample tools to read sectors from discs in CP/M, DOS,
and Acorn formats. There is special-case code for direct access to the
floppy controller under Linux, and to access the floppy driver under
Windows. Java (JNI) bindings are included.

Changes: A bug in the previous release could corrupt MYZ80 format disk
images. This has now been fixed. This release compiles and works on DOS
and 16-bit Windows.

License: GNU Lesser General Public License (LGPL)

                        - %  - %  - % - % -

[041] - Linux Firewall 2.0rc7pre1 (Development)
  by Scott Bartlett (http://freshmeat.net/users/network/)
  Wednesday, December 4th 2002 21:52

Internet
Security
System :: Networking

About: Projectfiles.com Linux Firewall is a robust, well-designed firewall
for Linux 2.4 based on netfilter/iptables. It supports advanced features
for both servers and routers such as port forwarding and connection
logging. It has verbose success and failure messages, and is easy to
install and configure.

Changes: This beta version adds numerous advanced options. Paranoid system
administrators can drop currently established TCP connections when the
firewall is initialized, and users trying to disguise the existance of
their firewall can use the new TTL_STEALTH_ROUTER option.

License: GNU General Public License (GPL)

                        - %  - %  - % - % -

[042] - LogJam 4.0.1
  by Evan Martin (http://freshmeat.net/users/eeyem/)
  Wednesday, December 4th 2002 13:19

Communications
Internet
System :: Networking

About: LogJam is a GTK2 client for LiveJournal-based online journaling
sites. It allows you to post entries, edit your previous entries, and edit
your friends, all without loading your Web browser.

Changes: New features include a better time picker, a GUI server manager
(with server selection at runtime), and a de-linebreak tool. Bugfixes
include saving the entry date when saving entries locally, a relogin trap,
and a segfault.

License: GNU General Public License (GPL)

                        - %  - %  - % - % -

[043] - Microbrew Message Center 0.1.2
  by Bulent Yilmaz (http://freshmeat.net/users/byilmaz/)
  Wednesday, December 4th 2002 05:26

Communications :: Email
Communications :: Email :: Mailing List Servers
Communications :: Email :: Post-Office :: POP3

About: Microbrew Message Center is designed to be an immensely scalable
mail platform supporting multiple users, multiple domains, and multiple
mail servers. It is akin to iPlanet or post.office but is not as complex
and uses open source software to perform mundane services such as Web and
mail services.

Changes: Security fixes that are too numerous to list were made in both
the C and PHP code. The code was ported to work on Solaris 7/8. Behavior
enhancements were also added to the code.

  by justin simoni (http://freshmeat.net/users/skazat/)
  Wednesday, December 4th 2002 23:58

Communications :: Email :: Mailing List Servers
Internet :: WWW/HTTP

About: Mojo Mail is a light-weight Web-based email mailing list manager.
It supports announce-only lists and group discussion lists, as well as
archiving, double opt-in subscriptions, and double opt-out
unsubscriptions. List mailings can be sent using sendmail, qmail, or even
with a straight SMTP connection (either all at once, or in timed batches).
All list administration can be done through your browser via Mojo Mail's
administrative control panel. Creating new lists and administrating them
is easy. Mojo Mail is a great alternative to programs such as Majordomo if
you want to give more control to the actual list owners, who may not have
much experience with such applications. Mojo Mail can be run simply as a
CGI script and needs no special modules installed. The entire look of html
pages created by Mojo Mail can be customized with any template you can
provide, on a list by list basis.

Changes: This release includes security fixes, most notably the inclusion
of an XSS filter, and also security enhancements, including better
encryption of sensitive data stored in the list settings files and browser
cookies. Email requests for list passwords also now need to be confirmed
via email before a new password is created and sent.

License: GNU General Public License (GPL)

                        - %  - %  - % - % -

[045] - Monkey HTTP Daemon 0.5.2 (Development)
  by EdsipeR (http://freshmeat.net/users/EdsipeR/)
  Wednesday, December 4th 2002 21:36

Internet :: WWW/HTTP :: Dynamic Content
Internet :: WWW/HTTP :: HTTP Servers

About: Monkey HTTP Daemon is a small and fast Web server for Linux written
in C. Its features include language support, GET, POST, and HEAD methods,
CGI, PHP4 , a config file (optional for every user), a mime.types file,
virtual hosts, the ability to deny URLs and IPs, to run as a different
user (such as nobody), serve users home directories, and more.

Changes: In this version, the Makefile now works with $CC and $STRIP
environment vars, if a script fails, the server now reports an 'Internal
Server Error' to the client, the '505 Internal Server Error' header has
been fixed, there is an AddScript function which checks if the path of
binary files is a valid regular file, a problem with the extensions of
files has been fixed, the MAX_REQUEST_URI size has been increased, a
'referer' header has been added, and some bugs in the add_log_pid() and
remove_log_pid() functions in logfile.c have been fixed.

License: GNU General Public License (GPL)

                        - %  - %  - % - % -

[046] - Mysql Data Manager 1.51
  by edatanew (http://freshmeat.net/users/case510/)
  Wednesday, December 4th 2002 16:09

Database :: Front-Ends

About: Mysql Data Manager is a Web-based MySQL client that provides local
or remote database access. It allows direct data access and database
management via an easy and intuitive interface.

Changes: A fix for a FreeBSD compatibility issue on file operations, and
improvements to the Import file function for better cross-platform
compatibility.

License: Other/Proprietary License

                        - %  - %  - % - % -

[047] - neo-Portal 3
  by Christian Tzurcanu (http://freshmeat.net/users/ctzurcanu/)
  Wednesday, December 4th 2002 18:12

Database :: Front-Ends
Internet :: WWW/HTTP :: Site Management
Software Development :: Libraries :: PHP Classes

About: neo-Portal is a data presentation and delivery system. When data is
output in DHTML, it behaves like a portal. It features full i18n
localization support, OS, Web server, and database independence, support
for WSDL Web services, and output in XHTML, PDF, RSS, TXT, RTF, WML, and
more.

Changes: SQL export, es-mx locale, MS-SQL 2000 schema, and Web stats.

License: BSD License

                        - %  - %  - % - % -

[048] - nmaFPS 0.77 beta
  by NMA (http://freshmeat.net/users/NMA/)
  Wednesday, December 4th 2002 07:04

About: nmaFPS is a simple, portable 3D first person shooter. The aim is to
shoot down as many drones as you can. You lose if the number of drones
flying around goes above 10.

Changes: Map display was added. The code was fixed so that it can compile
with gcc-3.x. Mipmapped textures were added. The order of the start-up
prompts was rearranged. A minor bug in player movement code was fixed.
gltext.h is now properly detected by ./configure.

License: Public Domain

                        - %  - %  - % - % -

[049] - Noname Network 0.1.7
  by Johan (http://freshmeat.net/users/acc2/)
  Wednesday, December 4th 2002 05:51

Communications :: File Sharing
Internet

About: The Noname network is a gnutella-based network that features a
different and more flexible protocol. The client and network currently
support filesharing, but the protocol can be extended to support more
features.

Changes: The feature for sorting by file size in the search-tab was fixed.
GTK+-2.0 detection was added to the configure script. A new GTK+-lib is
available.

License: GNU General Public License (GPL)

                        - %  - %  - % - % -

[050] - NSS MySQL Library 0.7
  by Cinergi (http://freshmeat.net/users/cinergi/)
  Wednesday, December 4th 2002 21:48

Database
Software Development :: Libraries
System :: Operating System

About: The NSS MySQL Library providesMySQL authentication for Unix systems
with NSS, so that Unix accounts can be stored in a MySQL database instead
of /etc/passwd. It features multiple server support, open-ended database
design, flexible logging and debugging, and persistent connections.

Changes: Numerous bugs resulting in crashing and hanging have been fixed.
Debug support is again available. GNU 'make' is no longer required.

License: GNU General Public License (GPL)

                        - %  - %  - % - % -

[051] - nut 7.8
  by Jim Jozwiak (http://freshmeat.net/users/jozwiak/)
  Wednesday, December 4th 2002 21:54

Scientific/Engineering :: Medical Science Apps.

About: nut is nutrition software to record what you eat and analyze your
meals for nutrient composition. The database included is the USDA Nutrient
Database for Standard Reference, Release 15, which contains 6,220 foods.
This database contains values for vitamins, minerals, fats, calories,
protein, carbohydrates, fiber, etc., and includes the essential
polyunsaturated fats, Omega-3 and Omega-6. Nutrient levels are expressed
as a percentage of the Daily Value, the familiar standard of food labeling
in the United States, but also can be fully customized. Recipes can be
added.

Changes: This release incorporates a revision of polyunsaturated fat
default reference values.

License: GNU General Public License (GPL)

                        - %  - %  - % - % -

[052] - OGRE 0.99f
  by Steve Streeting (http://freshmeat.net/users/sjstreeting/)
  Wednesday, December 4th 2002 16:02

Multimedia :: Graphics :: 3D Rendering

About: OGRE (Object-Oriented Graphics Rendering Engine)  is a class
library written in C++ designed to make it  easier and more intuitive for
developers to produce  games and demos utilising 3D hardware. It exposes
a number of useful objects allowing you to create  and manipulate a 3D
environment and render it to  your specifications, while removing the
unnecessary complexities of the underlying system  libraries like Direct3D
and OpenGL.

License: GNU Lesser General Public License (LGPL)

                        - %  - %  - % - % -

[053] - OSSP sa 1.0.2
  by Ralf S. Engelschall (http://freshmeat.net/users/rse/)
  Wednesday, December 4th 2002 06:56

Software Development :: Libraries

About: OSSP sa is an abstraction library for the Unix socket application
programming interface (API). It features stream and datagram oriented
communication over Unix Domain and Internet Domain (TCP and UDP) sockets.
It provides the following key features: address abstraction (local, IPv4,
and IPv6), type abstraction, I/O timeouts, I/O stream buffering, and
convenience I/O functions.

Changes: A few bugs and lots of internal type inconsistencies were fixed,
all found by splint(1). The build environment was upgraded to GNU autoconf
2.57.

License: MIT/X Consortium License

                        - %  - %  - % - % -

[054] - Otak 1.2.20
  by grzegorz moskal (http://freshmeat.net/users/eldevarth/)
  Wednesday, December 4th 2002 18:05

Communications :: Email :: Address Book

About: Otak provides a visual interface to command line  programs that
don't have one, that allows users to  select arguments from a menu. For
example, it can  be used as an address book program with Mutt  (the
default), or as a phone book with SMS  sending software, or even as a list
of hosts for  SSH or FTP.

Changes: Smal (but important) bugs were fixed. Otak doesn't write
databases in the curent directory.

License: GNU General Public License (GPL)

                        - %  - %  - % - % -

[055] - PHP SQL Replicator 0.4 Beta
  by Eric Binger (http://freshmeat.net/users/ebinger/)
  Wednesday, December 4th 2002 18:10

Database :: Front-Ends

About: phpSqlReplicator provides database replication across SQL servers.
It only supports MySQL, but other databases (ORACLE, Sybase, etc.) are
planned in the future. It retrieves databases and tables structures from
the original server and clones them (via SQL statements) to a target
server.

Changes: Changing the replicator.inc directory to /etc, and a new ability
to drop target database before copying on target.

License: Free for non-commercial use

                        - %  - %  - % - % -

[056] - phpLicenseWatcher 1.0.0
  by Vladimir (http://freshmeat.net/users/vvuksan/)
  Wednesday, December 4th 2002 11:22

Utilities

About: phpLicenseWatcher is a Web frontend to the FlexLM lmstat and lmdiag
commands. You can keep track of usage, health of license servers, get
alerted when licenses are due to expire, and capture usage history.

Changes: Graphs have been added to show how long a specified number of
licenses have been checked out. A number of bugfixes have been made.

License: GNU General Public License (GPL)

                        - %  - %  - % - % -

[057] - phpOpenTracker 1.0.2
  by Sebastian Bergmann (http://freshmeat.net/users/gravedancer/)
  Wednesday, December 4th 2002 02:45

Internet :: Log Analysis
Internet :: WWW/HTTP :: Dynamic Content :: Page Counters

About: phpOpenTracker is a framework solution for the analysis of Web site
traffic and visitor behaviour. It features a logging engine that, either
invoked as a Web bug by an HTML image tag or embedded with two lines of
code into your PHP application, logs each request to a Web site into a
database. One installation can track an arbitrary number of Web sites.
Through its API, you can easily access the gathered data and perform
complex operations on it (for instance, the analysis of your visitors'
click paths).

Changes: This release fixes a bug in the API plugin for click-path
analysis.

License: The Apache License

                        - %  - %  - % - % -

[058] - PHPRecipeBook 1.23
  by Todd Rogers (http://freshmeat.net/users/nazgul26/)
  Wednesday, December 4th 2002 18:06

Internet :: WWW/HTTP

About: PHPRecipeBook is a Web-based cookbook with the ability to create
shopping lists from recipes selected. The lists can be saved and later
reloaded and edited. The shopping list also attempts to combine similar
items so that duplication does not occur.

Changes: ADOdb is now used for database handling. Small bugs have also
been fixed.

License: GNU General Public License (GPL)

                        - %  - %  - % - % -

[059] - PTlink Services 2.22.3 (Stable)
  by Joćo M. Pinto (http://freshmeat.net/users/jpinto/)
  Wednesday, December 4th 2002 13:20

Communications :: Chat

About: PTlink Services provides channel/nick registration services for IRC
networks. Specially developed for the PTlink IRC daemon, it includes
features like channel logging, oper management, helper management, AJOIN
user list, memo read acknowledgement, rotated logs, autoidentify on ghost,
and ChanServ PROTECTED level. It also integrates NewServ for real time
news delivering.

Changes: Nickserv SET options are now logged, the Makefile was changed to
build on HP-UX 11i, and several other minor bugfixes were made.

License: GNU General Public License (GPL)

                        - %  - %  - % - % -

[060] - py-joyx 0.0.1
  by whardier (http://freshmeat.net/users/whardier/)
  Wednesday, December 4th 2002 16:04

Games/Entertainment
Utilities

About: py-joyx is a Python Joystick (via libjsw and PyJSW) to X11
(python-xlib) keyboard/mouse event interpreter. It can be used to form a
joystick to keyboard link for games not supporting or fully supporting
joysticks, as well as not supporting the new Linux joystick API. It works
with any joystick supported by the kernel and libjsw.

License: GNU General Public License (GPL)

                        - %  - %  - % - % -

[061] - Qadmin 0.1 Beta
  by enzo (http://freshmeat.net/users/jegart/)
  Wednesday, December 4th 2002 08:50

Communications :: Email

About: Qadmin is a administration tool for Qmail written in PHP.

License: GNU General Public License (GPL)

                        - %  - %  - % - % -

[062] - Riggy 1.0
  by Jay Miller (http://freshmeat.net/users/jnmiller/)
  Wednesday, December 4th 2002 16:04

Communications :: Chat :: Internet Relay Chat

About: Riggy is a dice bot for pbIRC RPGs. He is  specialized for D&D,
GURPS, and White Wolf dice  systems. Additional features include random
name  generation and miscellaneous IRC utilities. He was  created to
provide a fair and standard interface for dice-based games that take place
on IRC.

License: GNU General Public License (GPL)

                        - %  - %  - % - % -

[063] - sendEmail 1.40
  by Caspian (http://freshmeat.net/users/princecaspian/)
  Wednesday, December 4th 2002 18:14

Communications :: Email

About: SendEmail is a lightweight tool written in Perl for sending SMTP
email from the console. It was designed to be used in bash scripts, Perl
programs, and Web pages. It requires no special modules, and has a simple
interface, making it very easy to install and use. It should work on any
platform that has Perl and supports Unix sockets, but was designed for
Linux.

Changes: This release is a major cleanup with a few new features. Perl
warnings, and strict mode are now enabled. Logging now works all the time.
The time-zone is now set correctly in the headers. Signal handlers display
a nice message on INT, HUP, etc. Error messages throughout the script have
been vastly improved. It always exits with a proper exit status (zero on
success, and non-zero on error). Automatic support for HTML email was also
added.

License: GNU General Public License (GPL)

                        - %  - %  - % - % -

[064] - Simple C Expat Wrapper 0.1.0
  by Aleix Conchillo Flaque (http://freshmeat.net/users/aleix/)
  Wednesday, December 4th 2002 21:45

Software Development :: Libraries

About: The aim of SCEW is to provide an easy interface to  the XML Expat
library. Expat gives an API based on  event handling mechanisms to load
the XML tree  structure. SCEW provides functions to load and  access XML
elements without the need to create  the event handling routines and
without the need  to rewrite these functions each time a different  XML
tree needs to be loaded. It also lets  developers access the internal
Expat parser, which  means they can still have all the functionality that
Expat library provides.

License: GNU Lesser General Public License (LGPL)

                        - %  - %  - % - % -

[065] - Simple Rescue CD 1.1.5
  by Andrew Wood (http://freshmeat.net/users/ivarch/)
  Wednesday, December 4th 2002 05:28

System :: Recovery Tools

About: Simple Rescue CD is a small Linux rescue CD,  suitable for booting
systems that have become  unbootable due to filesystem corruption or
other problems. It lies somewhere between  minimalist boot floppies and
large full-featured  rescue systems, and as such is suitable for  when
space is tight, such as on business card  CDs.

Changes: Booting support was improved, and the kernel was upgraded to
2.4.20. Some minor cosmetic improvements and build fixes were made. If the
previous version didn't boot for you, try this one.

License: Artistic License

                        - %  - %  - % - % -

[066] - SmartSieve 0.3.2devel
  by stephengrier (http://freshmeat.net/users/stephengrier/)
  Wednesday, December 4th 2002 13:09

Communications :: Email :: Post-Office :: IMAP

About: SmartSieve is a Web-based graphical user  interface for creating
and managing sieve  scripts on a Cyrus IMAP mail server. It provides  a
way for non-technical users to generate  sieve rules for mail filtering
and vacation  messaging without prior knowledge of the  sieve scripting
language. It is written in PHP  and is intended to be intuitive to use and
 simple to configure, and is compatible with  Websieve scripts.

Changes: This release runs on php-4.3.0pre2, handles cookie-less browser
sessions, has improved formatting, is more regular across browsers, has
better handling of alternative namespaces, and now uses binary safe fread
rather than fgets. Calling socket_set_timeout() makes SmartSieve less
likely to hang waiting on a socket. read() now calls socket_get_status()
and returns if the socket has timed out or has no bytes left to read. The
options $default->script_date_format and $default->login_page_heading have
been added. It is no longer dependent on the
allow_call_time_pass_reference PHP setting.

License: GNU General Public License (GPL)

                        - %  - %  - % - % -

[067] - Sniffdet 0.7
  by Ademar de Souza Reis Jr. (http://freshmeat.net/users/adebr/)
  Wednesday, December 4th 2002 21:50

Security
Software Development :: Libraries
System :: Networking :: Monitoring

About: Sniffdet is an implementation of a set of tests for  remote
sniffers detection in TCP/IP network  environments. It is composed of a
flexible and easy  to use library and a console application to run the
tests. Major features include several tests for  sniffers detection,
config file support, output  plugins, dropping of root privileges, and
general  documentation.

License: GNU General Public License (GPL)

                        - %  - %  - % - % -

[068] - STORE 1.0.1
  by Peter Conrad (http://freshmeat.net/users/pconrad/)
  Wednesday, December 4th 2002 07:56

Database
Software Development :: Code Generators
Software Development :: Libraries :: Java Libraries

About: STORE consists of two related parts: a framework for representing
the contents of a relational database as Java objects (similar to but
simpler than Entity EJBs), and a set of tools for automatically creating
Java classes and/or SQL statements from a DB diagram or existing DB
tables.

Changes: A dangerous race condition in the templates used by
DBPeaGenerator and ParseDia has been fixed. Users should upgrade and
re-generate their Pea classes.

  by Cort Stratton (http://freshmeat.net/users/cort/)
  Wednesday, December 4th 2002 22:02

Scientific/Engineering :: Mathematics
Software Development :: Libraries

About: The Simple Vector Library (SVL) provides vector  and matrix
classes, as well as a number of  functions for performing vector
arithmetic with  them. Equation-like syntax is supported via class
operators. Both generic (arbitrarily-sized), and  fixed-size (2, 3, and 4
element) vectors and  matrices are supported. The latter are provided for
the efficient manipulation of vectors or points in 2D  or 3D space, and
make heavy use of inlining for  frequently-used operations.

License: Freely Distributable

                        - %  - %  - % - % -

[070] - SWH Plugins 0.3.2
  by Steve Harris (http://freshmeat.net/users/theno23/)
  Wednesday, December 4th 2002 16:07

Multimedia :: Sound/Audio

About: SWH Plugins are a set of audio plugins for the LADSPA plugin
system.

Changes: This time the broken UID was really changed. A Bode Frequency
Shifter was also added, which is a useful synthesis tool (it shifts the
frequency of the input signal by up to 1KHz-- this is different to a pitch
shifter, which moves the formants proportionally to the fundamental. A
frequency shifter kind of slides all the formants together).

License: GNU General Public License (GPL)

                        - %  - %  - % - % -

[071] - SWISH++ 5.12.1
  by Paul J. Lucas (http://freshmeat.net/users/pjl/)
  Wednesday, December 4th 2002 11:14

Internet :: WWW/HTTP :: Indexing/Search
Text Processing :: Indexing

About: SWISH++ is a Unix-based file indexing and searching engine
(typically used to index and search files on web sites). It was based on
SWISH-E although SWISH++ is a complete rewrite. SWISH++ is at least 10
times faster and can handle much larger numbers of files. Additionally, it
has unique features such as selective non-indexing, on-the-fly filters,
user-selectable stemming, and more.

Changes: In the previous release, some returned ranks were negative; this
has been fixed.

License: GNU General Public License (GPL)

                        - %  - %  - % - % -

[072] - System Installer 0.95 (Development)
  by Michael Chase-Salerno (http://freshmeat.net/users/mchasal/)
  Wednesday, December 4th 2002 23:56

System :: Installation/Setup

About: System Installer (a component of the System Installation Suite) is
a tool to install a system with any Linux distribution. It builds Linux
operating system images that can be propogated to remote machines using
SystemImager and SystemConfigurator.

Changes: This release includes many changes to work with the new
SystemImager 3.0 architecture. Also included is a new database that is
simpler and has fewer prereq issues.

License: GNU General Public License (GPL)

                        - %  - %  - % - % -

[073] - The Tamber Project 1.1.28 (Pogo)
  by tamber (http://freshmeat.net/users/tamber/)
  Wednesday, December 4th 2002 09:44

Internet :: WWW/HTTP :: Dynamic Content :: CGI Tools/Libraries

About: The Tamber project is a componentized n-tier Web site engine that
uses open languages such as XML and JavaScript. Content is stored in
separate XML files, in databases, or other data objects. Business
functions are carried out by JavaScript and ASP. Presentation is
controlled by an XSL transformation, which allows for delivery over
multiple channels such as HTML, WAP, and MHEG. Currently, Tamber can
deliver to HTML and WAP, and contains modules that support e-commerce
shopping carts, secure sign in, data access and conversion services, and
advanced session management.

Changes: Semicolons are parsed from open recordset SQL statements. The
function check_val() now detects '," and &. Tamber's root directory
(usually '/') can be customised via the system registry. There is a new
svr_name system registry item. All response.redirects() have been replaced
with a new jmp_to() function. The mailing list system has been fixed and
tweaked. The cookie tracking system now displays view and click statistics
on tagged pages.

License: GNU Lesser General Public License (LGPL)

                        - %  - %  - % - % -

[074] - TightVNC 1.2.7
  by Constantin Kaplinsky (http://freshmeat.net/users/const/)
  Wednesday, December 4th 2002 05:37

System :: Networking
System :: Systems Administration

About: TightVNC is a VNC distribution with many new features,
improvements, and bugfixes over VNC. It is optimized for faster operation
on slow network links such as modem connections, provides more
configuration options in the server, features automatic SSH tunneling in
the Unix vncviewer, and more. The modified servers and viewers are fully
compatible with the original VNC software.

Changes: This version adds an ability to use port numbers, in addition to
the traditional VNC display numbers, in both the server and viewer parts.
Local cursor handling was improved to allow the user to see remote pointer
movements. JPEG compression in Tight encoding is now enabled by default in
the viewers. A number of other improvements and bugfixes were also made.

License: GNU General Public License (GPL)

                        - %  - %  - % - % -

[075] - tnailer 1.1
  by William Rhodes (http://freshmeat.net/users/wrhodes/)
  Wednesday, December 4th 2002 09:45

Multimedia :: Graphics :: Presentation

About: Tnailer was originally written to automatically pull images from a
SmartMedia card and then create thumbnailed albums arranged in
cronological order, but it will work just fine with any group of images.
It will adjust the scale (physical image size) of any type of image in the
album, and can adjust the quality (compression level) of JPEG and PNG
files. It will work with over 66 other image formats, including GIF, PICT,
TIFF, and even PDF. It has some basic HTML formatting options, and adds
linear navigation to each image's individual page so that browsing forward
and backward through the entire album is easy and intuitive.

Changes: This release has more options for resulting image/HTML output,
cleaned up code, and fixes for some minor bugs.

License: GNU General Public License (GPL)

                        - %  - %  - % - % -

[076] - ttf2pt1 3.4.3
  by Sergey Babkin (http://freshmeat.net/users/babkin/)
  Wednesday, December 4th 2002 21:50

Desktop Environment :: Fonts
Multimedia :: Graphics :: Graphics Conversion
Printing

About: ttf2pt1 is a converter of various scalable font formats (most
notably TTF) and of the bitmapped BDF format into PostScript Type 1 fonts
and metrics (.pfa, .pfb, .afm).

Changes: This version includes a fix for a packaging error (the app/TeX
subdirectory was missing in 3.4.2), and a couple of enhancements to the
forceiso script.

License: BSD License

                        - %  - %  - % - % -

[077] - uClinux 2.4.20-uc0 (2.4.x)
  by David McCullough (http://freshmeat.net/users/davidmc/)
  Wednesday, December 4th 2002 18:05

About: uClinux is a set of patches for Linux that  supports MMUless
processors. It brings a full  featured operating system onto platforms
that  would otherwise run less advanced, simpler  operating systems.
uClinux gives the  programmer a Linux API with remarkably few  concessions
to the lack of MMU (Memory  Management Unit), and in terms of code size
and efficiency it has an advantage over  standard Linux.

Changes: Merging in the latest kernel updates from 2.4.20.

License: GNU General Public License (GPL)

                        - %  - %  - % - % -

[078] - UploadBean 1.2.1
  by JavaZOOM (http://freshmeat.net/users/javazoom/)
  Wednesday, December 4th 2002 11:12

About: UploadBean is a JavaBean that allows you to upload files. This bean
can be integrated into any JSP/Servlets application. You can store
uploaded files in a folder, a ZIP archive, a database, or in memory.
Restrictions such as file-size limit, blacklist/whitelist, and max.
uploaded files are available. An add-ons section provides tools such as
email notification on each uploads, real time progress bar on upload,
custom database store sample, and a Chinese upload JSP sample.

Changes: This release adds some fixes in the UploadListener API, support
for Tomcat 4.1.12, and a new plugin that allows you to add an upload
progress indicator.

License: Free for non-commercial use

                        - %  - %  - % - % -

[079] - vlogger 0.3
  by shade (http://freshmeat.net/users/chemlabshade/)
  Wednesday, December 4th 2002 18:15

Internet :: Log Analysis
System :: Logging

About: vlogger is a logger daemon for Apache. It will  accept piped
logfile input, split it according to its  corresponding virtual host
(using a file cache to  avoid resource limitations), and write it to disk.
It  automatically rotates all files and tracks them using  timestamps. It
is intended as a replacement for  cronolog.

Changes: Code cleanups, bugfixes, a new option to rotate files when they
reach a certain size, and better documentation.

License: GNU Lesser General Public License (LGPL)

                        - %  - %  - % - % -

[080] - Voice XML php class 1.0.2
  by Dynamix Solutions (http://freshmeat.net/users/hatemben/)
  Wednesday, December 4th 2002 21:48

Multimedia :: Sound/Audio :: Speech
Software Development :: Libraries :: PHP Classes
Text Processing :: Markup

About: The Voice XML PHP class allows you to easily generate VXML
documents on the fly based on the W3C Working Draft, 23 October 2001
(VoiceXML) Version 2.0.

Changes: This release fixes a lot of small bugs in the VXML code
generated. Some useful functions, including vxml_audio() and vxml_choice()
were added, and some new sample VXML applications were added.

License: Free For Educational Use

                        - %  - %  - % - % -

[081] - WebUtils 1.0.2
  by Andy Jefferson (http://freshmeat.net/users/andyjefferson/)
  Wednesday, December 4th 2002 13:17

Software Development :: Libraries :: Java Libraries

About: WebUtils is a Java library and toolkit for making the development
of Web portals much more rapid and  routine. It provides generic styles of
reporting and look-and-feel, database connectivity, and much more.

Changes: The dependence on files installed on the Web server has been
reduced, making the package more usable for a J2EE implementation (more
changes will be required to fully complete this objective).

License: GNU General Public License (GPL)

                        - %  - %  - % - % -

[082] - WIMS 3.24
  by XIAO Gang (http://freshmeat.net/users/xiao/)
  Wednesday, December 4th 2002 01:59

Education
Internet :: WWW/HTTP :: HTTP Servers
Scientific/Engineering :: Mathematics

About: WIMS (WWW Interactive Mathematics Server) is a CGI Web application
designed to host interactive mathematical educational activities such as
exercises, computational math, and graphing tools. It features automatic
score processing with strong anti-cheating mechanisms, virtual classes
allowing teachers to guide/control student works, online exercise
creation, animated graphics, a message board allowing inline mathematical
formulas, and more. It can also be easily used for education within other
disciplines.

Changes: This version adds Deductio, an interface to host exercises with
step-by-step interactive mathematical deductions.

License: GNU General Public License (GPL)

                        - %  - %  - % - % -

[083] - Yet Another Advanced Log Analyzer 0.5.2 (Experimental)
  by Florian Forster (http://freshmeat.net/users/flocto/)
  Wednesday, December 4th 2002 13:24

Internet :: Log Analysis

About: "yaala" parses logfiles and generates very detailed statistics in
HTML format. It features two different output types with different amount
of information: one for webmasters/sysadmins that would like to get some
very interesting (but not necessarily useful) information about their
audience, and one that is more likely to be presented on a website. It
currently works with Apache's access-log format and the NCSA format (e.g.
Apache's combined log) as well as Squid's access logfile format.

Changes: Lots of new features have been added, including a very advanced
output plugin, i18n, l10n, and command line configuration. Tons of details
have been added or changed as well. This release is very unstable.

License: GNU General Public License (GPL)

                        - %  - %  - % - % -

[084] - Zoe Intertwingle 0.2.9 (Stable)
  by Zoe (http://freshmeat.net/users/ZoeInfo/)
  Wednesday, December 4th 2002 06:52

About: Zoe is a Web based email client with a built in SMTP and POP3
server and Google-like search functionality that lives on your desktop. It
is written in Java and uses Lucene technology to provided instant
searching and threading of your email messages.

Changes: List's sort ordering is now preserved. A direct search handler
was added, allowing you to express a search directly as an URL.
Preliminary support for Rendezvous was added with the jrendezvous library,
allowing ZOE to advertise its services through zeroconf's DNS Service
Discovery. An OSX system service demo was added, which allows ZOE to
integrates with Apple's system services using Rendezvous for net service
discovery.

License: Other/Proprietary License with Source