List:       freewrt-users
Subject:    Re: [FreeWRT-users] WL500gP: USB HDD spindown when idle
From:       Ralph Passgang <ralph () debianbase ! de>
Date:       2007-01-28 14:33:36

Am Sonntag, 28. Januar 2007 12:38 schrieb Jan Schäfer:
> Hey everyone,

Hi Jan,

> is there a way to achieve something "hdparm -S"-like (disc spindown
> when idle) with FreeWRT? I know the problem is that USB-HDDs are
> handled like SCSI-devices in Linux, so that hdparm won't recognise
> them. However, there are many people looking for this in the forums of
> the different firmwares (DD-WRT, OpenWRT, Oleg), but I haven't spotted
> a working (FreeWRT-compatible) solution yet. I'd be willing to
> test/help/find a working solution!
> Cheers, Jan

I don't think the problem comes from the pseudo-scsi interface. I don't have
any usb disks to test what you said, but in generell scsi disks  (or ide/sata
devices that are handled like a scsi disks) can be handled with hdparm.

for example I can do the following on my system (sata disk in real):

# hdparm -y /dev/sda
/dev/sda:
 issuing standby command

or

# hdparm -S 12 /dev/sda
/dev/sda:
 setting standby to 12 (1 minutes)

What do you get, when you try to run hdparm?

regards,
 Ralph