List:       freewrt-developers
Subject:    Re: [FreeWRT-developers] Having trouble using PPPoE
From:       Terry Porter <tp () wifi ! homelinux ! com>
Date:       2008-08-16 7:10:05

On Fri, 15 Aug 2008 09:00:10 +0200
Dirk Nehring <dnehring@freewrt.org> wrote:

> On Fri, Aug 15, 2008 at 11:00:56AM +1000, Terry Porter wrote:
> > Hi All,
> > This is my first post to the list, and have a question if anyone can please \
> > advise, it would be much appreciated ?
> > FreeWRT versions is both 1.0 and 1.0.3, <snip>
> >
> > I have had a WRT54 running FreeWRT previously and everything worked, but this \
> > time I can't connect via PPPoE,
<snip>

> Hi,
>
> for PPPoE you need a kernel module "pppoe" and just the pppd. Here is an
> example config:
>
> # WAN port: PPPoE (with additional IP to access to your modem)
> auto eth0.1
> iface eth0.1 inet static
> switch-ports 0 5
> address 10.0.0.1
> netmask 255.255.255.0
> broadcast +
>
> auto ppp0
> iface ppp0 inet ppp
> use-template dsl
> provider dsl
> ppp-username user1@pppoe-provider
> ppp-password verysecret
> ppp-device eth0.1
>

> Dirk

Hi Dirk,

Problem solved, just an update for readers.

Thank you for your help, I did have the above set up properly, and had the following \
modules and packages:-

Pppoe:
Kernel:
FWRT_PACKAGE_KMOD_PPP=y
FWRT_PACKAGE_KMOD_PPPOE=y

Packages--> Networking
FWRT_PACKAGE_PPP=y
FWRT_PACKAGE_PPP_MOD_PPPOE=y

However I had also selected the package
 pppoe-client...................... PPPoE (PPP over Ethernet) client

which was stopping pppoe working for some reason. Removing this package fixed \
everything and the unit reliably connects to my ISP now.

--
Best Regards
Terry Porter