List:       freetype-devel
Subject:    Re: [ft-devel] [ft]  ttfautohint 0.4 has been released
From:       Infinality <erik () infinality ! net>
Date:       2011-10-30 15:46:19

[Attachment #2 (multipart/alternative)]

Here is one sample of Myriad Pro I just took recently:
http://www.infinality.net/images/1025myriad.png

This is using autohint where dist is essentially snapped to integer
pixels vertically.  In most cases it works out very nicely, but you
occasionally do get those vanishing stems like I was talking about.
There is also other stuff going on here though too, including
stem-alignment and adjustments to FIR filtering.  This is newer code,
but the existing infinality patchset does almost the same thing.  If
you'd like to play with it, it's here:
http://www.infinality.net/blog/subpixel-hinting-patch-for-freetype/

Stem alignment isn't as good in this version though.  I'll hopefully be
getting the new patches out within a couple weeks.

Erik