List:       freetype-devel
Subject:    Re: [Devel] RE: Character widths are wrong in this font.
From:       Werner LEMBERG <wl () gnu ! org>
Date:       2004-11-22 9:09:31

> I don't currently deal with CJKV, so I should be able to safely set
> the required flag. Just a thought though - would it be possible to
> make the default behavior depend on whether the font was western
> encoded or CJKV - that way we may be able to get the best of both
> worlds.

A longer time ago Jungshik Shin has sent an algorithm to this list how
to detect the isFixedPitch flag properly (2003-06-05).  It's quite
complicated and increases the size of the library quite a lot, IIRC,
so we've never implemented it.  Detecting CJK fonts is not easy.  I
suggest to always use the FT_LOAD_IGNORE_GLOBAL_ADVANCE_WIDTH flag and
use a similar code to the ftchkwd demo program (from ft2demos) on the
user level.

But maybe there's a good guy who provides a service function...

    Werner