List:       freetype-devel
Subject:    Re: [Devel] About PCL fonts
From:       "Scott Long" <scott () swiftview ! com>
Date:       2002-12-20 1:18:53

On Thu, 12 Dec 2002 19:11:09 +0000
  "net pl" <netpl2002@hotmail.com> wrote:

>Hi,
>I've already used FreeType to render the text in TrueType fonts.
>I saw that the PCL fonts that is used by Printers Control language (HP)
>are also a truetype format. I'd like to know if TrueType supports this fonts.
>
>Thanks,
>ml.

Not in the form in which they are embedded in the PCL stream. The TTF
headers and glyph definitions occur as separate entities in the PCL
stream, so you have to do some non-trivial manipulation to massage the
data into something that looks like a TTF file (it is PCL5's concept
of a character "continuation" that makes this non-trivial). At that
point you can use FreeType to use the font.

I think it is way beyond the scope of FreeType to handle PCL streams.

Scott Long
SwiftView, Inc. http://www.swiftview.com