List:       freetype-devel
Subject:    [Devel] Fw: ATypI Tech Forum CD-ROM
From:       Werner LEMBERG <wl () gnu ! org>
Date:       2002-05-27 6:12:19

David,

do you have some time to contribute FT to the planned

    Werner

Date: Fri, 24 May 2002 19:01:19 -0700
To: Yuri Yarmola <yar@legion.ru>, Ted Harrison <ted@pyrus.com>,
   David Lemon <lemon@Adobe.COM>, Thomas Phinney <tphinney@Adobe.COM>,
   Adam Twardoch <adam@twardoch.com>, Peter Lofting <lofting@apple.com>,
   Simon Daniels <simonda@Exchange.Microsoft.com>,
   Paul Nelson <paulnel@microsoft.com>,
   =?iso-8859-1?Q?J=F6rg?=
 Schweinsberg <jschweinsberg@fonts.de>,
   "Thomas Caldwell":;, Just van
 Rossum <just@letterror.com>,
   Peter Constable <peter_constable@sil.org>,
   Frank Blokland <blokland@dutchtypelibrary.com>,
   Laurence Penney <lorp@lorp.org>, Jim
  Lyles <jlyles@bitstream.com>,
   Erwin Denissen <erwind@high-logic.com>, Emil Yakupov <yakupov@paratype.com>,
   Boris Levin <levin@paratype.com>, David Turner <david.turner@freetype.org>,
   Werner Lemberg <wl@gnu.org>, Eric
 Mader <mader@jtcsv.com>
From: John Hudson <tiro@tiro.com>
Subject: ATypI Tech Forum CD-ROM
Cc: Wm Ross Mills <ross@tiro.com>, Sharon Irving <atypi@sharonirving.co.uk>

Dear Friends and Colleagues,

As some of you already know, we are planning to distribute a CD-ROM to
attendees at the font technology forum in Rome this September. I am writing
to invite you to contribute demo software, shareware or freeware apps or
utilities, scripts, technical notes, specifications and other
documentation, etc. The intent is to provide forum attendees with tools and
information to help them build better fonts, and to give font software
developers an opportunity to present some of their products to font makers.
Font production tools, testing and validation apps, table editors,
command-line font utilities, sample fonts or source files (e.g. VOLT or FDK
OpenType sources), etc. are all welcome.

I realise that many of you use the Internet as your primary distribution
system for demo software, etc., so you may also like to provide an HTML
file linking to your online products. I would encourage you, however, to
also include material for distribution on the CD-ROM: many European
attendees may not have high-speed Internet connections, and would be loathe
to download large software packages.

Structure:
The organisation of the CD-ROM will be very simple: a directory of
contributors, with sub-directories for different platforms. E.g.:

	/Adobe
		/Mac
		/PC

To facilitate the project, we're asking contributors to provide material in
this directory structure. Within this structure, contributors can organise
their material however they like. Please try to ensure that all software is
accompanied by appropriate manuals, help files and other documentation, as
available.

Licensing information:
Each contributor will be responsible for providing appropriate license
information for end users. This should be provided in clearly labelled
ReadMe files. Contributors are entirely responsible for the terms of end
users licenses, and for enforcement of those licenses. The Association
Typographique Internationale cannot accept any liability or responsibility
for enforcing the terms of end user license agreements.

Copyright:
In order to be able to duplicate the CD-ROMs in Canada, I need a signed
letter from each contributor granting permission to reproduce and
distribute copyrighted material. The letter should list the material being
contributed to the CD-ROM, and grant permission for the Association
Typographique Internationale (ATypI) to reproduce and distribute up to 250
units. Please send this letter by snail mail to:
	John Hudson
	ATypI Technology Committee
	205, 1235 Nelson Street
	Vancouver, BC  V6E 1J5
	Canada

Submission:
Contributions can be provided by e-mail, FTP, or on CD-ROM, Zip or floppy
disk (use the above address for mailing). Contributions should be received
before August 1st. If there is any reason (e.g. internal legal issues) why
you might not be able to meet this deadline, please let me know and we will
try to accomodate a later delivery.

At the forum:
Attendees will receive a brief presentation introducing the content of the
CD-ROM. Some contents will also feature in forum sessions.

Finally, if you know of anyone else who might be interested in contributing
to this CD-ROM, please feel free to forward this message to them, or
provide me with contact information.

Regards to all, John

John Hudson

Tiro Typeworks		www.tiro.com
Vancouver, BC		tiro@tiro.com

When the pages of books fall in fiery scraps
Onto smashed leaves and twisted metal,
The tree of good and evil is stripped bare.
                                        - Czeslaw Milosz