List:       freetype
Subject:    [Freetype] Freetype dev questions
From:       henry.maddocks () met ! co ! nz
Date:       2001-07-17 5:46:27

I'm an opengl developer and I want to use freetype to do my font
rendering. I started with the gltt (gltt.sourceforge.net) code base and
intended porting it to freetype 2. Freetype has change quite a bit
between 1.3 and 2.0 to the extent that a rewrite is called for. Rather
than just hacking support into my engine I want to make a general
purpose library in the spirit of gltt that anyone can use.

The freetype docs are good but the tutorials are a bit too basic at this
point.
I've got a few questions. If anyone could point me to where I can get
the answers I'd really appreciate it, Or is it possible to search the
list archives? In the meantime...

1. Is it correct to say that it's not a good idea to store copies of
freetype objects in my own classes, rather use freetype accessor
functions to get them as and when needed, eg FT_Size, FT_Glyph?

2. Has anyone had occasion when having multiple charmaps available at
the same time has made sense?

3. What is the best way to handle multiple char sizes?

tia,
Henry

Try not. Do or do not. There is no try.
Yoda,Jedi Master