List:       freetype
Subject:    Re: [Freetype] Finding unicode blocks
From:       Werner LEMBERG <wl () gnu ! org>
Date:       2001-01-13 20:59:14

> I need to determine what unicode block ranges are represented
> as glyphs in a given file. I was hoping to find something
> more efficient than FT_Get_Char_Index for the entire unicode
> range. Is there a reverse mapping of glyph indice to the
> corresponding cmap indice?

For TrueType fonts, look into ttnameid.h -- the `OS/2' font table
(though unreliable in some fonts) gives exactly this information.  For
Type 1 fonts, Adobe has defined glyph sets with precise mappings to
Unicode (using the AGL algorithm).

We still don't have a nice API to access font-specific tables, so
please use casts to get the necessary info from the OS/2 table
directly.

    Werner