List:       freetype
Subject:    Glyph dimensions..
From:       Rob Kramer <rkramer () xs4all ! nl>
Date:       1997-12-17 13:54:46

Hi,

Terrific stuff, your renderer! I'm trying to use it to convert a truetype
font to a bitmapped format at realtime in my application. But I can't
figure out how to get information on the actual sizes of a glyph. And, is
there an easy way to determine the size of the largest glyph in a face,
or do I have to step through all of them?

I've looked at glyph metrics obtained from TT_Get_Glyph_Metrics, but I
don't understand the meanings of xMin, xMax etc. For example, what does a
negative xMin indicate? If the two top rows of a rendered glyph are filled
with zeroes, where does the renderer get that information from? (How can
my application see that the glyph actually starts at the second row?)

I would like to get a proportional bitmapped font by rendering glyphs -
each character is a little bitmap. I'm using the public beta version of
FreeType.

Any response will be appreciated!

Thanks,

	Rob Kramer