List:       freetype
Subject:    Re: [ft] Spacing/Kerning wrong on an OpenType (otf) font
From:       David Turner <dturner () nds ! com>
Date:       2006-04-25 7:44:41

George Williams a écrit :
> On Mon, 2006-04-24 at 17:21, Brian Gardner wrote:
>
> > I'm trying to render an OpenType font we have purchased, "Helvetica Neue
> > LT Pro 77 Bold Condensed", and the spacing isn't coming out right.  If
> > you look at the spacing between the T and o in Tour it almost looks like
> > Freetype is not performing any kerning.  I was hoping somebody could
> > point me in the right direction.
> >
> That's right. FreeType doesn't do kerning.
>
> Kerning happens in the layer above freetype. Pango or some such.

To be more accurate, FreeType only provides the kerning data found in
the internal
"kern" table within a TrueType font. However, many modern fonts do not
provide
one. Instead, they provide OpenType layout table that implement, among a
lot of
other things (e.g. ligatures, language-specific rendering, etc...), kerning.

And it's not possible to parse these tables properly at FreeType's
level, this needs to
be done by a complete text layout library (e.g. Pango, Qt, ICU, wathever...)

What this means is that:

- ftview or ftstring cannot properly render kerned text with many modern
fonts
- but the corresponding text should appear properly on a Unix desktop though

Hope this helps,

- David Turner

Information contained in this email message is confidential and may be privileged, \
and is intended only for use of the individual or entity named above. If the reader \
of this message is not the intended recipient, or the employee or agent responsible \
to deliver it to the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any \
dissemination, distribution or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited. \
If you have received this communication in error, please immediately notify the \
                postmaster@nds.com and destroy the original message.