List:       freetype
Subject:    Re: [Freetype] Help with font improvement
From:       Vadim Plessky <lucy-ples () mtu-net ! ru>
Date:       2002-12-20 8:37:31

On Thursday 19 December 2002 21:59, Juliusz Chroboczek wrote:

|  VP> BTW: when we would get rid of .pcf and .bdf fonts in X?
|
|  You're not reading enough mailing lists ;-)

I was rebuilding almost everything within last (and this) week - started from
XFree86, than GTK 2.1.2/GNOME-2.1.3 (it came this way...) and later Qt 3.1
and KDE 3.1
Now my system is more fresh than RedHat's Rawhide and Mandrake's Cooker (I
used lastest-greatest from both), and KMail is up and running, so I can read
lists again :-))

|                                          Juliusz
|  ----------------------------------------------------------------------
|  From: Juliusz Chroboczek <jch@pps.jussieu.fr>
|  Subject: Re: [Fonts]Will 4.3.0 get rid of 8bit bitmap fonts?
|  To: fonts@XFree86.Org
|  Date: 19 Dec 2002 18:59:41 +0100

[...]

NOTE:  it would be a pity to miss next XFree86 release (4.3.0)
From my experience, most Linux users update XFree86 together with "next
distribution release". And stick with this system for year or so.
Therefor, XF-4.3.0 would be used up to the end of 2003 (and most likely, in
first half of 2004, too, as XFree86-5.0.0 wouldn't be ready in one year time)
This mean, we would have to live with BDF/PCF for another year, or 1.5
years...
Current packaging of BDF/PCF fonts in XFree86 CVS is just waste of disk space,
and bandwidth to download.  This should be corrected ASAP, IMHO.

--

Vadim Plessky
SVG Icons * BlueSphere Icons 0.3.0 released