List:       freetrade
Subject:    Re: [FreeTrade] Got a picture! :)
From:       jon () clearink ! com
Date:       2000-02-23 4:12:42

> I want to apologize to Jon Stevens.  He should deserve the credit for
> Assemblers and Page stuffs.
>
> Just updated www.nt2linux.com/freetrade.gif
>
> I am regrettable sorry.  I thought the picture was under the FreeBSD
> license.
>
> Kent

Thank you for the apology, but you obviously still have some learning to
do...

The image file is under the Java Apache license which is indeed based off
the BSD license. If you actually read the license, you would have seen the
following paragraphs:

"1. Redistributions of source code must retain the above copyright notice,
this list of conditions and the following disclaimer.

2. Redistributions in binary form must reproduce the above copyright
documentation and/or other materials provided with the distribution.

6. Redistributions of any form whatsoever must retain the following
acknowledgment: "This product includes software developed by the Java
Apache Project for use in the Apache JServ Servlet Engine
<http://java.apache.org/>.""

Just because the license is "BSD-Like" does not mean that you can do
whatever you want with images/files/binaries/etc. You must still give
proper credit for what you use.

Regardless of license, you should ALWAYS give credit to the proper person
or organization that is responsible for maintaining the bits that you use.
You should NEVER give anyone else permission to "do whatever they want"
with stuff that really isn't yours to begin with.

I apologize for sounding pissy, but this is something that is very
important to me. To me, getting credit for my OS work is the most
important benefit of working on OS. When someone tries to compromise that,
it really offends me.

Did you see how pissed off the Blackdown.org people
got when Sun didn't give them proper credit for all their work on the JDK
for Linux?

I understand that your case is just two small images, but in
reality, the larger picture is that you do not seem to understand and/or
read the licenses that you are agreeing to. You might wish to hire an
attorney to read the documents to you.

thanks,

-jon