List:       freetds
Subject:    Re: [freetds] Post patch not considered...
From:       Steve Langasek <vorlon () dodds ! net>
Date:       2008-01-15 6:51:42

On Mon, Jan 14, 2008 at 02:07:10PM +0100, ZIGLIO, Frediano, VF-IT wrote:
> It seems that post patches at freetds.sf.net are not even considered.
> See just for instance reply at
> http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=353735. Perhaps it's
> not clear that these patches are in CVS and not only my production.

No, that's perfectly clear, but I have no intention of spending time QAing
the inclusion of a non-trivial bundle of backported patches into Debian
stable and have already moved on to preparing 0.64 for Debian unstable (yes,
a bit late, but there we are).

A pointer to a specific CVS revision that fixes a reported bug: useful.

A bundle of patches with no clear explanation of how it fixes the reported
bug: not useful, sorry.

> It would better to provide 0.xx.y versions like 0.62.

That wouldn't make any difference to me.  At most I would want to
cherry-pick patches, so I would want references (via CVS commit logs or
otherwise) to descriptions of the bugs fixed so that I could confirm that
the changes are relevant.  If point releases were to include more concrete
information about the motivation for the changes then I guess that might be
useful, though as I mentioned above it wouldn't matter much to me in this
case.

Furthermore, I'm not at all convinced that the change I've been pointed to
has anything at all to do with the segfaults originally reported in Debian
bug #353735.  My analysis showed that these were due to a buffer overflow
due to a wrong assumption about the size of the string returned by
strftime() with an arbitrary format string, and the only strftime-related
fix that I see in this patch does nothing to change the size of the
available buffer.