List:       freetds
Subject:    Re: [freetds] 0.64rc2 Debian prerelease packages available
From:       "ZIGLIO, Frediano, VF-IT" <Frediano.Ziglio () vodafone ! com>
Date:       2006-03-31 10:06:44

> Hey all,
>
> I've made packages of freetds 0.64rc2 available for Debian unstable at
> <http://people.debian.org/~vorlon/freetds/>.  Binaries
> available for i386,
> alpha, and amd64 architectures.
>
> The packages include two patches of significance.  One is a
> further fix for
> 64-bit ODBC compatibility which I'd like to submit for
> consideration for
> 0.64; without it, FreeTDS fails to build on 64-bit Debian systems with
> gcc-4.0.  (On non-Debian systems, it may build successfully
> only because
> UnixODBC is currently not 64-bit clean by default upstream.)

I don't see anything wrong in 64-bit patch, if it do not compile for
some reason it should be included in 0.64. How do you compile unixODBC
for 64-bit platforms?

> The other is a re-worked locale patch, replacing the
> ill-fated locale patch
> in Debian sarge (yes, this means the Debian packages will no longer be
> screwing up your date formats!); I think it's ready to be
> submitted for
> inclusion in FreeTDS, though probably not for 0.64.

Mmmm... no I don't remember a patch, could you explain why your patch is
needed? What are the problems in current implementation?

> I have no plans to upload freetds 0.64rc2 to Debian, waiting
> instead for the
> 0.64 release.  In the meantime, feedback on these packages is
> welcome.  I've
> rebuilt sqsh and php4-sybase against 0.64rc2, and they seem
> to work fine --
> I imagine other packages should also rebuild ok against the
> new library
> versions.

This is a rc so don't think final version will be so different, is
better to handle problems ASAP before release. Things like problem
compiling can be added in a 0.64.1 but adding a new fields
(client_charset in TDSLOCALE) cannot (for binary compatibility, well...
I known you know these problems better than me :) ). Is impossible to
avoid patch for debian (you need to add all debian files) however it
would be fantastic is you could use our files untouched.

freddy77