List:       freetds
Subject:    Re: [freetds] FreeTDS hang
From:       "James K. Lowden" <jklowden () schemamania ! org>
Date:       2004-05-22 20:25:17

On Sat, 22 May 2004, Frediano Ziglio <freddyz77@tin.it> wrote:
> Il sab, 2004-05-22 alle 12:36, Hany Heggy ha scritto:
> >
> >   The program is multi threaded and each thread connect to certain
> >   MSSQL server, it works fine until one of the sever is unreachable (
> >   i cannot ping it from Linux command line) at this point i get an
> >   error from FreeTDS :
> >    server 192.122.122.12   connect time out
> >
> >   at this point the program freeze and all threads freeze totally
>
> Do you get error or it just hangs inside ODBC?
> I would try to enable logging and remove network wire just to test...

If you do this, remember that every connection initializes the log file
unless

	dump file append = yes

is in your freetds.conf.  Another workaround is to set TDSDUMP=stderr.

Nothing springs to mind, unfortunately.  I would run the application under
gdb and, when it hangs, find out where.

I would like to know, though:  What advantage is to be found in a
multi-threaded design?  It seems to me that one process per simultaneous
connection would be much safer, and that Linux is rich in IPC choices.

--jkl