List:       freetds
Subject:    [freetds] Re: Starting to use FreeTDS
From:       "Magnus Ahl" <Magnus.Ahl () infogate ! se>
Date:       2002-09-12 9:39:12

Brian Bruns wrote:

> Jim hit most of the points eloquently, so I'll just add my bit here.  The
> libtds API is not fixed, it changes from release to release in small ways
> as we extend our support of the protocol and improve compatibility with
> the three APIs we do support.  We attempt not to do this of course, but
> there are times that our hand is forced by a required feature.

	This really needs to be clearer in the FAQ to avoid more people
	to be "lured into" using the tds_ functions directly. I've been
	on the mailing list for four days and already I've seen
	discussions about changing the tds_login() dramatically. ;-)

> That said, I am planning on having a libtds reference guide ready for the
> next release (0.61), but I dont' anticipate a stable ABI for libtds until
> FreeTDS 1.0  at some unknown time in the future.

	Excellent! Although I (as an absolute beginner on this) think
	programmers should be more directed towards using dblib and
	ctlib with good documentation (and a gentle push).

> If threading is important to you, ctlib is your library, otherwise I'd be
> tempted to use dblib for it's simplicity and the maturity of our
> implementation relative to ctlib. On the other hand, if you forsee
> extending your support in the future to additional databases ODBC is an
> attractive option, although you introduce a bit of overhead for the driver
> manager, and our implementation, while improving, still requires some
> work.  The primary advantage would be a single executable capable of
> working against either database using FreeTDS's ODBC driver or MyODBC for
> MySQL.  The other downside however is a dependance on the driver manager.

	We have earlier tried various ODBC drivers, both with MySQL and other
	RDBMS, but alas, the extra configuration and drop in efficiency really
	made us want to use fast, native connections to databases using
	libraries like libmysql and libtds.

 Infogate AB             Magnus.Ahl@infogate.se
 Storgatan 29                   tel: 035-171970
 Box 345                      mobil: 702-118265
 301 08 Halmstad                www.infogate.se

---
You are currently subscribed to freetds as: [freetds@progressive-comp.com]