List:       freetds
Subject:    [freetds] Re: More ODBC driver documentation desired
From:       Brian Bruns <camber () ais ! org>
Date:       2002-02-07 1:20:23

Ah, that explains how they bolted it on to TDS 4.2.  TDS 5.0 on the other
hand, has proper cursor support at the protocol level.

I suppose my first idea of cloning the existing connection and then
terminating it at SQLFreeStmt time would work...definately should not be
default behaviour though.

Brian

On Thu, 7 Feb 2002, Nick Gorham wrote:

> Brian Bruns wrote:
>
> > Ok bad news from the front.  The LDAP stuff does the following ugly hack
> >
> > SQLGetInfo(dbh,SQL_DRIVER_NAME,drv_name,30,&len);
> > if (!strncmp(ldap_pvt_str2upper(drv_name),"SQLSRV32.DLL",30))
> >   {
> >
> > So it is specifically looking for the microsoft driver and then turns
> > cursors on as Nick alluded to.  Problem is I don't know how to do
> > cursors in TDS 4.2/7.0 without doing quite a bit of work.
>
> Not sure you can, I say the MS SQL Server driver do it when we were thinking of a TDS
> type solution (too many variables, and changeable by MS IMHO to make a commercial
> solution, fine for open source though). It does some strange things, for a start it
> uses stored procs to prepare and execute SQL and fetch results, and you don't want to
> know (well maybe you do) what it does to describe parameters, its very easy to break,
> and explains why you can get a syntax error from calling SQLNumParams :-(
>
> basicaly what it ends up doing is caling a sp_fetch procedure that returns one (or a
> number) of row(s) of the result set, and after thats read the socket is free for other
> stuff, unlike the normal execute, and the data just keeps comming.
>
> Nick
>

> ---
> You are currently subscribed to freetds as: [camber@ais.org]

---