List:       freetds
Subject:    [freetds] Re: More ODBC driver documentation desired
From:       Brian Bruns <camber () ais ! org>
Date:       2002-02-05 3:26:38

I started out using iODBC, but lately I've been doing more with unixODBC,
so I'd say it's about a toss up, most others developers seem to go with
unixODBC too.

A little leg work on your part to test some changes may give you a working
solution in FreeTDS and give us a better driver.  So here goes...

Now looking through the CVS browser at openldap.org (thank god i didn't
have to bring down the tarball)...backsql_load_schema_map() this error
message is near a call to backsql_BindParamID() which in turn calls
SQLBindParameter() in sql-wrap.c

The message from the trace below comes from unixODBC after calling
CHECK_SQLBINDPARAMETER() which checks a value originally set in
__connect_part_one and later modified by a call to
FreeTDS's SQLGetFunctions(), which from my vantage point looks to be
saying "yeah we have this function".

What version of unixODBC are you running? There were some changes in this
area in 2.1.0 i believe it was.  The problem definately seems to be in the
interaction between FreeTDS and the driver manager and not specifically
with missing functionality in FreeTDS.

Peter (or Nick if you're reading) any light you can shed on this would be
helpful, I'm way out of my realm here.

Brian

On Mon, 4 Feb 2002, Dan Melomedman wrote:

> Brian Bruns writes:
>

> > There was the inline driver for x86 platforms, just google search it.
> > (It's based on our libtds).  Beyond that, there are no other open-source
> > ODBC drivers for MS SQL that I'm aware of.  You could use one of the ODBC
> > bridge products.  But, why not describe what you're having problems with
> > and maybe one of us here can help.
>
> freeodbc.org looks dormant, the binary is seg. faulting with FreeTDS 0.53,
> and source code is not available. What's up?
>
> I am trying to use the FreeTDS driver with OpenLDAP's back-sql (which allows
> part of the DIT to be in an SQL server through ODBC) and UnixODBC. However,
> back-sql is complaining:
>
> backsql_get_db_conn(): first call -- reading schema map
> ==>load_schema_map()
> load_schema_map(): error binding param for at_query:
> Return code: -1
> Native error code: 0
> SQL engine state: IM001
> <==backsql_get_db_conn()
> ==>backsql_free_db_conn()
> backsql_free_db_conn(): closing db connection
> ==>backsql_close_db_conn()
> <==backsql_close_db_conn()
> <==backsql_free_db_conn()
> backsql_db_open(): test failed, schema map not loaded - exiting
> backend_startup: bi_db_open 0 failed!
> slapd shutdown: initiated
>
> In other words, looks like it needs some ODBC functionality which is not in
> the FreeTDS ODBC driver, but I can't be sure. The 'isql' utility works fine
> with our database through the FreeTDS driver.
>
> Which driver manager do you FreeTDS developers favor? From production
> standpoint, which driver manager and drivers are less problematic? Thanks.

---
You are currently subscribed to freetds as: [freetds@progressive-comp.com]