List:       freeradius-users
Subject:    Re: What's new in v4
From:       Alan DeKok <aland () deployingradius ! com>
Date:       2023-10-10 11:47:02

On Oct 9, 2023, at 9:28 AM, Hermann Lauer <Hermann.Lauer@uni-heidelberg.de> wrote:
> What are the improvements in DHCPv4?'

  Mainly that it's no longer a hack pretending to be RADIUS.  It's just 100% DHCPv4.

  Other improvements are that complex structures are now trivial.  They're used much \
more in DHCP than in RADIUS.

  The server now supports structures in dictionaries (it's not perfect, but it \
works).  It will then automatically decode the structures into attributes.  The \
structures can contain bit fields, too.  It all Just Works.

https://freeradius.org/documentation/freeradius-server/4.0.0/reference/dictionary/struct.html

> I'm looking currently into PXE booting in 3.2.1 to understand the differences
> to ISC DHCP Server - some attributes used in PXE may be magic.

  Not in v4.  Pretty much everything easy.

  v4 also supports an experimental ISC DHCP module.  It will read common (i.e. \
simple) ISC files to define options, and implement the policies:

https://freeradius.org/documentation/freeradius-server/4.0.0/raddb/mods-available/isc_dhcp.html

  I did a check against Kea DHCP the other day.  FreeRADIUS v4 is 2/3 the size of Kea \
in code.  But it supports more protocols, more databases, it has a real policy \
language, and it's more configurable.

  Alan DeKok.

-
List info/subscribe/unsubscribe? See http://www.freeradius.org/list/users.html