List:       freeradius-users
Subject:    Re: [EXT] Re: IKEv2 VPN clients and 2FA
From:       Brian Julin <BJulin () clarku ! edu>
Date:       2022-11-14 14:43:11

One possible path to consider is NOT doing 2FA during the RADIUS authentication, but \
afterwards.

Instead, launch the 2FA query during RADIUS authentication, and bring up the IPSec \
tunnel but filter all packets with iptables.  Then when the 2FA is approved, alter \
the iptables rules to allow access.

The use of accounting packets between strongswan and FreeRADIUS, and ipsets, make \
this a fairly simple matter of scripting.  However, it will be more difficult, if not \
impossible, if your 2FA provider does not have a robust way to do authentications \
over a simple interface like REST, rather than the rather insane common practice of \
inserting the 2FA provider in your RADIUS proxy chain.  Duo for example actually has \
such an interface, made for simple non-OAUTH applications, which allows you check on \
the status of an in-flight 2FA request as well as tune timeouts and messaged to the \
authenticator app.  Microsoft, not at all, they discontinued support for anything \
like that.

Throwing 2FA with its own set of timeouts and protocol failure points into the fray \
of establishing an IPSec-RA connection is IMO just asking for a claptrap of \