List:       freeradius-users
Subject:    Re: RADIUS failing to start correctly when remote DB is unavailable.
From:       Alan DeKok <aland () deployingradius ! com>
Date:       2022-10-31 16:06:53

On Oct 31, 2022, at 10:53 AM, Sea Gull <seagull0044@gmail.com> wrote:
> The second scenario is when access to the remote DB is restricted due to a
> network outage. This is the issue that I am experiencing, and here RADIUS
> is taking too long until it notices that the DB is unreachable.

  If your network is broken, the solution is not to fix FreeRADIUS.  The solution is \
to fix the network.

  FreeRADIUS uses the libpq libraries to do all of the underlying "connect to \
postgres" functionality.  Those libraries are limited in what they can do.

> It seems
> that the timeout is either not working or taking too long. Is there a way I
> can change it? I have tried changing the parameters shown below (in the sql
> files) however, the issue didn't resolve.

  We pass the connect_timeout parameter to the libpq library.  If that library \
doesn't respect it, there isn't much we can do.

> What I am trying to achieve is to have the behaviour of the first scenario
> whenever there is a network outage. Would it be possible to achieve this,
> please?

  Fix your network so that it doesn't go down.

  There really isn't any other way to do this.  It makes no sense to say "I want \
FreeRADIUS to be reliable, but the database and/or the network is just going to \
randomly disappear".

  That's not reliable.  You can't build a reliable system on an unreliable \
foundation.

  Alan DeKok.

-
List info/subscribe/unsubscribe? See http://www.freeradius.org/list/users.html