List:       freeradius-users
Subject:    Re: [EXTERNAL] Re: Performance issues
From:       "Winfield, Alister \(Senior Solutions Architect\) via Freeradius-Users" <freerad
Date:       2022-10-04 13:45:17

Remember that the query may take <1s but the time for the query response at the \
client can be >5s. Its often because there is a queue built up of requests and the DB \
is too slow to service them thus the ‘enqueued’ ones are around for too long. Fixing \
is mostly make the DB faster eg by adding another server and synchronising the data, \
fixing indexes, ensuring queries aren’t idiotic (eg full table scans). Sometimes it’s \
the network eg TLS using a dumb slow random number source that’s not getting enough \
entropy so blocking or perhaps might be packet loss, etc etc etc.

Sadly, this is all about analysing the system bit by bit until you find the real \
issue and fixing that.. For your sanity start at the bottom of the stack and work up. \
FreeRadius is highly unlikely to be the problem. It comfortably handles 30K requests \
per second and without much effort can do much more.