List:       freeradius-users
Subject:    Re: SQL module and credentials configured in the clear
From:       Alan DeKok <aland () deployingradius ! com>
Date:       2022-04-29 0:46:22

On Apr 28, 2022, at 7:57 PM, Brendan Kearney <bpk678@gmail.com> wrote:
> for a myraid of purposes, i have my radius servers connect to MariaDB, and have \
> configured mods-available/sql with the requisite user/pass credential set.  i am \
> wondering if the case can be made to add/include the option to use the keytab \
> created and used for LDAP connectivity.  having a user/pass combo in clear text on \
> the filesystem is no-no in many organizations.

  I disagree, but people can do whatever they want on their own systems.

  The underlying issue is that the credentials have to go somewhere.  The RADIUS \
server has to read the credentials from somewhere, so you're just moving the problem \
down one level.

  Or, you store the credentials in a different format (keytab, certificate, etc.)  In \
which case an attacker who can read the local file system can still do everything \
that the RADIUS server can do.

  The only thing gained by using a keytab file is some happy thoughts that the \
"password" isn't stored as clear-text.  But the credentials are still accessible to \
any attacker, for use as they please.

> it is entirely possible to use the keytab and connect to a properly configured \
> mariadb instance with a keytab.  can the functionality to authenticate to databases \
> like mariadb with the keytab be added?

  What API should we use?  The MySQL documentation shows APIs which take username and \
password:

https://dev.mysql.com/doc/c-api/8.0/en/mysql-real-connect.html

  Which API takes a keytab?

  I've taken a quick look around the MySQL client documentation, and there's nothing \
obvious.

  Alan DeKok.

-
List info/subscribe/unsubscribe? See http://www.freeradius.org/list/users.html