List:       freeradius-users
Subject:    Re: problems with connection pooling
From:       Alan DeKok <aland () deployingradius ! com>
Date:       2021-06-22 11:37:41

On Jun 22, 2021, at 3:22 AM, Alen via Freeradius-Users \
<freeradius-users@lists.freeradius.org> wrote:

> We have setup a freeradius server (3.0.21) that connects to Pgbouncer/Postgres \
> database.
> Every time the NAS connects to the freeradius server, 3-4 new connections are \
> opened up

  No.

> in the database until it runs out and stalls. Does Freeradius use some sort of \
> connection pooling?

  If only there was some kind of debug output where you could see what the server was \
doing.

  If only the configuration files were text, so you could see what kind of connection \
pool was being used by the SQL module.

  Oh well.  It's a mystery.

> I have a suspicion that could be related to the thread pool as defined below:
>
> radiusd.conf:
> thread pool {
> start_servers = 5
> max_servers = 32
> min_spare_servers = 3
> max_spare_servers = 10
> max_requests_per_server = 0
> auto_limit_acct = no
> }
>
> 1) Is there somewhere I can make Freeradius reuse existing connections instead of \
> creating new connections whenever the NAS connects to it?

  FreeRADIUS doesn't open up new connections every time it gets a packet from the \
NAS.

> 2) Can the number of connections created by Freeradius be controlled in any config?

  If you actually read the documentation and configuration files you're editing, yes.

  Alan DeKok.

-
List info/subscribe/unsubscribe? See http://www.freeradius.org/list/users.html