List:       freeradius-users
Subject:    Re: [EXTERNAL] Re: FR 3.0.21 : Failed adding proxy socket: Too many open sockets
From:       "Winfield, Alister via Freeradius-Users" <freeradius-users () lists ! freeradius ! org>
Date:       2020-08-21 10:28:17

Add to this that you should care about latency. No point queuing 1000's of extra \
requests if it means that the queue is too long to process...

That is the time to process everything in the queue > timeout of clients / devices. \
(Only option if that's the case is more capacity or optimisation wherever the \
bottleneck is).

To get AAA tuning right the only option is test it with realistic requests and \
request rates and see what you get. Get into the habit of doing this for every change \
and you won't get surprised by sudden performance deltas associated with what on the \
face of it are trivial configuration updates. Also beware the hockey stick \
performance case found by graphing request rate vs latency. See a huge latency delta \
for a tiny delta in request rate and you need to be careful if you are running \
anywhere near the limit.

Alister.

On 20/08/2020, 15:55, "Freeradius-Users on behalf of Alan DeKok" \
<freeradius-users-bounces+alister.winfield=sky.uk@lists.freeradius.org on behalf of \
aland@deployingradius.com> wrote:

    On Aug 20, 2020, at 10:46 AM, Arnaud LAURIOU <arnaud.lauriou@renater.fr> wrote:
    > I have a few questions for which I haven't found answer yet :
    > Is there good tuning practices ?

      Set it to a value which is reasonable.  What "reasonable" means depends on your \
situation.

      i.e. a busy server may *normally* have thousands of packets outstanding.  A \
small server may normally have 10 packets outstanding.

    > Is this counter reset ? For example :
    > - If a home_server is temporarly dead, is his value reset when it comes alive \
again ?

      If the home server is dead, then it has no outstanding packets.  And therefore \
the outstanding packet counter is zero.

    > - If a home_server reaches this counter limit, how long will it be unused ?

      Until it either responds to packets (which lowers the outstanding counter), or \
it is marked as dead (which sets the counter to zero).

      i.e. it does what makes sense.

      Alan DeKok.

    -
    List info/subscribe/unsubscribe? See \
https://eur01.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.freeradius.org%2F \
list%2Fusers.html&amp;data=02%7C01%7Calister.winfield%40sky.uk%7C6e6a50a7ffa54150d27a0 \
8d845190583%7C68b865d5cf184b2b82a4a4eddb9c5237%7C0%7C1%7C637335321057136541&amp;sdata=WAxelrAW%2F07e%2Fckmj3nbZIVAkwH0%2FAyJFOoG%2BLf7p14%3D&amp;reserved=0

    This email is from an external source. Please do not open attachments or click \
links from an unknown or suspicious origin. Phishing attempts can be reported by \
using the report message button in Outlook or sending them as an attachment to \
                phishing@sky.uk. Thank you

Information in this email including any attachments may be privileged, confidential \
and is intended exclusively for the addressee. The views expressed may not be \
official policy, but the personal views of the originator. If you have received it in \
error, please notify the sender by return e-mail and delete it from your system. You \
should not reproduce, distribute, store, retransmit, use or disclose its contents to \
anyone. Please note we reserve the right to monitor all e-mail communication through \
our internal and external networks. SKY and the SKY marks are trademarks of Sky \
Limited and Sky International AG and are used under licence.

Sky UK Limited (Registration No. 2906991), Sky-In-Home Service Limited (Registration \
No. 2067075), Sky Subscribers Services Limited (Registration No. 2340150) and Sky CP \
Limited (Registration No. 9513259) are direct or indirect subsidiaries of Sky Limited \
(Registration No. 2247735). All of the companies mentioned in this paragraph are \
incorporated in England and Wales and share the same registered office at Grant Way, \
Isleworth, Middlesex TW7 5QD

-
List info/subscribe/unsubscribe? See http://www.freeradius.org/list/users.html