List:       freeradius-users
Subject:    Re: AP and remote IP
From:       Arran Cudbard-Bell <a.cudbardb () freeradius ! org>
Date:       2011-08-30 8:02:35

On 30 Aug 2011, at 09:43, Gabriele Cardosi wrote:

> Hi All,
> I am a complete noob about radius - and freeradius, so please forgive if the \
> question is silly. For a project I would like to develop, I would need to be able \
> to retrieve the ip of a device  wireless-connected to an access point that use \
> freeradius for "authentication". I created a testing user and set up the client \
> "secret", and I am able to connect the device (a mobile phone) to the access point \
> authenticating it with the freeradius, but in the log what I see is the client's \
> (i.e. the access point) IP, the clients (AP) mac, and the device mac. Is it \
> possible to have the device ip sent (and stored) somehow to the freeradius? I read \
> something about ip pool, but I have the impression that it can't be used in this \
> setting.

This is a NAS specific feature, FreeRADIUS cannot request that the Access Point send \
it any more information thats not how RADIUS works. FreeRADIUS will decode and \
display all attributes in an incoming packet.

Access Points which support this feature will send the IP address of the device in a \
delayed Accounting Request start packet or an Accounting Request interim update \
packet. They almost always need to be configured to do this, so I suggest you go and \
read the manual for your device to determine whether it supports this feature.

-Arran

Arran Cudbard-Bell
a.cudbardb@freeradius.org

RADIUS - Half the complexity of Diameter

-
List info/subscribe/unsubscribe? See http://www.freeradius.org/list/users.html