List:       freeradius-users
Subject:    Re: what attributes go in which SQL tables?
From:       bammons () oxcom ! com
Date:       2004-09-30 21:28:07

I really wish I could just pass on the flame war, however:

I resent your use of the phrase "lied to".  I didn't know that you wanted
me to type "man users" - that may seem obvious to you and possibly
everyone else but not to me, my apologies.  In the future, you could
advise "type 'man users' and read up you stoopid eediot" and I would have
understood.  Or...not, totally up to you.

I thought that your private reply was condescending in the extreme,
despite my best attempts to convey to you my gratitude for your advice and
my thanks to you for replying and despite the fact that I prefaced all of
my queries with a note that I was a newbie etc.  I don't think (I don't
hope) that you would have taken that tone in a public forum - however,
judging by your latest, I see that I was wrong (again).

If you're upset that something you typed got posted on the Internet I
respectfully suggest that you not type things like that.

Re: this:

>   I already told you there wasn't much in the way of documentation of
> server internals.  Now you "guess" that the answer is "no".  I fail to
see why you have to guess when I already told you the answer.

Although I'm quite sure that you know much more about this subject than I,
it occurs to me that there may be documentation somewhere not in your
possession, or, shocker, that someone else may know something that you do
not.  That may be naive of me, perhaps you actually do know everything,
but to the group, I offered, "Alan doesn't have the docs, does anyone
else"?  Pride cometh, my man...

I would have thought that the docs I was looking for would have existed
somewhere as they seem like they would be very basic knowledge re: the
interaction of radius and mysql - an assumption that has surely caused me
to look like the proverbial a**.

I'll be certain to strip out my assumptions next time.

> "Brian Ammons" <bammons@oxcom.com> wrote:
>
>   You sent me a private message, I sent you a private response.
> Posting that response publicly is bad netiquette.
>
>> i do know what man pages are, I did set all of this up myself.  I'm new
(6
>> months) to Linux but I'm able to figure stuff out with just a push in
the
>> right direction...you could have said "RTFM" and I would have gotten
the
>> hint. typing "man users" doesn't bring up anything about radius, it's
about
>> the "users" command, which reports who's logged into the system.
>
>   So... I did say "RTFM", but not in a way which led you immediately
> to the exact solution.  Your response was not to say that typing "man
users" got you the wrong "man" page, but that you didn't know what I meant
by "man users".

>   Now you say you DO know what "man users" means.  I hate being lied to.
>
>   And you're asking me to do something I did: tell you to RTFM.  But
> for personal reasons, you decided that you didn't like my RTFM
> response, and you're getting angry at me, that I should should have told
you "RTFM".

>   My acronym in response is: WTF?
>
>> "that doesn't change how the server works" - that's not very helpful,
sorry - my whole question was about how the server works becuase I DON'T

-
List info/subscribe/unsubscribe? See http://www.freeradius.org/list/users.html