List:       freeradius-users
Subject:    freeradius 0.8.1 and timeout replies to authentication requests
From:       "john zurowski" <johnzurowski () hotmail ! com>
Date:       2004-02-28 15:03:14

Its specifically access-rejects to accounts that have timed out i.e. via
rlm_sqlcounter.
The mechanism works fine but I have noticed an anomaly and I'm not sure if
its a freeradius (perhaps only 0.8.1) issue or if my radius client is
misbehaving.

When I send a request to authenticate a user account that has effectively
exceeded its time (via sql counter) the initial authentication request seems
to time out. However via the log file on the server I notice the request
coming through BUT the reply isn't received on the client.

My client then times out and tries again. The server then seems to respond
but with the previous requests identifier. so I get another failure because
the ids don't match. so we try again. This time it works fine i.e. server
responds and ids match. And I get a correct replay message that the user
account has expired which is what I want.

Now if the authentication succeeds i.e. an valid/active accout, I don't see
this behaviour i.e. it works first time.

Have I missed this in the mailing list ?

Should I simply upgrade to a newer version ?

<DIV>
<P><A href="http://www.zurowski.btinternet.co.uk">John Zurowski</A></P>