List:       freeradius-users
Subject:    Re: checkrad crashes radius? (was Bug - checkrad w/ Livingston)
From:       Kristina Pfaff-Harris <kristina () greatbasin ! net>
Date:       2003-02-27 22:10:46

On Fri, 21 Feb 2003, Alan DeKok wrote:

> Kristina Pfaff-Harris <kristina@greatbasin.net> wrote:
> > Running 'checkrad cisco (etc)' on a certain of our ciscoes came back with
> > "Timeout: No Response from IP address". When called from radiusd, this
> > killed the radius daemon completely.

A little more info. (I haven't removed those kill lines from session.c
yet.)  I had put in a couple of debug statements to tell me how checkrad
is called, and which thing it is calling (finger, snmp, telnet, etc).
Right before the crash, I got this:

 DEBUG: checkrad called as /usr/local/freeradius-0.8.1/sbin/checkrad
 max40xx 10.2.3.4 0 Pxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx 346202735
 DEBUG: checkrad: /usr/bin/finger Pxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx@10.2.3.4
 MASTER: Child PID 27956 failed to catch signal 15: killing all active
 servers.

"Pxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" is a username with 16 total characters in it.
"10.2.3.4" is the IP address of the NAS.

When the one server crashed, the NAS sent the request to the alternate
server, and it crashed that one as well. Maybe the 16-character username?
Or is that a coincidence?

I see where it does the "killing all active servers" thing in radiusd.c,
but am not sure where to look to find out exactly what "bad thing" the
child did to cause this.

Any ideas where I can start searching, or do you think getting rid of the
killing in session.c will work?

K.