List:       freeradius-users
Subject:    Re: Using the Status-Server
From:       "Alan DeKok" <aland () ox ! org>
Date:       2002-08-30 19:52:39

"Gil Yu" <yug@nortelnetworks.com> wrote:
>    The reason is because we are developing a client that can speak to
>     two RADIUS servers at the time. We generate an alarm when comunication
>     is not possible with one SERVER. However, we would like to clear that
>     alarm by doing a periodic check.

  That's about the only reason I can think of for using
Status-Server.

>     I agree that that a ping is not the best way but we are looking for a
>     way to check the status of the Server from the Client perspective though
>     SNMP should be used instead. It is a requirement that is coming from
>     our customer.

  FreeRADIUS supports SNMP requests.  So if it doesn't respond to an
SNMP request (say for it's uptime), then you can presume it's down.

>     That is why. One potential solution is to alternatively trying
>     the two servers, but there is a cost associated with that.

  I agree.

> We were thinking that if we send a Server-Status time to a
> Server that we did not get a radius response from (ie. time-out),
> and it sends a message back, it is up. From what I see in the code
> that is how it is treated.

  The code to do that for Status-Server isn't currently in
FreeRADIUS.  Are you thinking of Cistron?

  Alan DeKok.