List:       freeradius-users
Subject:    Re: Re[8]: What happened to CHAP?
From:       "Alan DeKok" <aland () ox ! org>
Date:       2002-02-26 18:32:18

Darkshot <darkshot@chudys.com> wrote:
> >   Add 'files' to 'authorize'  It's in the default config.  Why did you
> > delete it?
>
> I didn't. It was commented out by default.

  Sorry, the server DOES ship with 'files' in 'authorize'.  It's done
that way so that the 'users' file works by default.

> Uncommenting it fixed everything and all works perfectly now (knock
> wood).

  As I predicted.

> Obvious when you know, but it was pretty well hidden.

  Uh, no.  From the default 'radiusd.conf':

# Authorization. First preprocess (hints and huntgroups files),
# then realms, and finally look in the "users" file.
authorize {
	     preprocess
	     suffix
	     files
}

> I was looking in the modules and looking for something that denoted
> "chap"- not "files". After knowing it, reading through the
> radiusd.conf makes it pretty plain how to do what I wanted, but I
> had no idea to even look there. I read through it and didn't "see"
> it.

  <shrug>  The comments are there precisely for this reason.  While
there isn't much documentation, the configuration files are generally
heavily commented.

  Alan DeKok.