List:       freeradius-users
Subject:    MySQL Configuration Issue, RADIUS basics, and EAP support...
From:       Clark  Dorman <CEDorman () aethersystems ! com>
Date:       2001-11-30 17:07:16

... not necesarily in that order.

RADIUS basics:
	I went through the RFC's, but I am having problems understanding
the concepts behind RADIUS (realms, NAS lists, Huntgroups, different
authentication protocols, etc.).  Can someone suggest a good basic text
(commercial book is ok, but nothing under 'radius' at Amazon) or manual
for some other Radius server.  Obviously, it doesn't need to be FreeRadius
specific.

EAP Support:
	The Change Log mentions that some things have been changing in
preparation for EAP.  Is the expectation that this will be in 0.4?  Is
there a schedule for 0.4 (or whenever EAP support will be)?  I notice
that 0.2 was July 30, 2001, and 0.3 was Oct 6, 2001, so the cycle is
pretty quick.  Is the next version going to be in a couple of months?

MySQL configuration:
	I had some problems with getting FreeRadius to configure with MySQL.

I am also unable to connect to the bug-reporting page. I'm using:
	Linux Mandrake 8.0
	MySQL (Linux binary distribution) 3.23.45
	FreeRadius 0.3
In the file
freeradius-0.3/src/modules/rlm-sql/drivers/rlm_sql_mysql/configure
it says it is having problems finding MySQL libraries.  However, the problem
seems to be the test program it is trying to compile and the compile flags
that
are being passed.  The call to mysql_init is missing a parameter, the
mysql.h
header is not being included, and the -lz call is in the wrong place.  Here
is
the diff:

982c982
< 			LIBS="-L$try -lmysqlclient $old_LIBS"
---
> 			LIBS="$old_LIBS -L$try -lmysqlclient"
986c986
< #include <mysql/mysql.h>
988,989c988
< MYSQL *tmp;
< mysql_init(tmp)
---
> mysql_init()

Is this correct, or am I missing something?

Clark Dorman