List:       freeradius-users
Subject:    Re: DBM mode
From:       Miquel van Smoorenburg <miquels () cistron ! nl>
Date:       2001-03-28 20:03:23

According to Jared Allen:
> What I am trying to do is run the radius server in database mode.  I was
> told that if I used the livingston radius 2.0 documentation it would
> work with the cistron and freeradius radius servers.  The documentation

Mostly, yes.

> tells me to use the builddbm program to convert the user file to a
> database then I could use the radiusd -b command to run radius in
> database mode.  That is where I am having the problems with the
> libdb.so.1 file not being found.  Fist, am I mistaking in the way to get
> the cistron radius server into database mode?

*Cistron* radius? This list is for the freeradius server, not for
the cistron radius server. They are quite different, you know ..
The Cistron Radius list is at http://www.radius.cistron.nl/list/

Anyway, yes, with the Cistron server you need to use builddbm and
run the server with -b

Also, you need to know that the server wasn't as well tested (more
like "not at all") in DBM mode - a lot of people ask about it
but I have never seen any feedback on it from people actually
using it. That means that either noone uses it, or it runs
perfectly .. I'm not sure.

> Second, what I really
> would like to do is get the cistron radius server to use a database of
> users for some very simple authentication.  What I would like to know is
> an easy way to do that.

Yes, but it appears that you are trying to use a precompiled version
of the server, and it was compiled against libraries you don't have
on your system. I don't know how to help you with that, the only
thing I can recommend is to compile the server yourself from source.
And do yourself a favor, use the 1.6.5 prerelease version. It's
DBM support is a bit better integrated (but still not tested very well).
See http://www.radius.cistron.nl/ on how to get that version.

Mike.