List:       freeradius-devel
Subject:    Introduction
From:       Gordon Messmer <yinyang () eburg ! com>
Date:       2000-07-19 20:06:54

My name is Gordon M (to protect my anonymity).  I'm currently working on
a project called ISPd (for lack of anything better), which currently
provides my business with billing, user maintenance, and user
authentication.

I am currently using Ascend's radius server (circa 6-18-1998) to
authenticate users on several Ascend terminal servers.  The radius
software has been patched to provide a couple of features that we need,
and to authenticate users through ISPd.

Ascend's software hasn't been as stable as I'd like, and I want to
replace it ASAP.  Freeradius and Cistron are usually mentioned when I
discuss radius servers on the ispd development list.  I've got a couple
of questions before I make any switches:
Just how unstable is freeradius?
What areas need work?
Is anyone using freeradius, despite the warnings that you shouldn't?
How difficult is it to recover from a typical freeradius failure?
Restart the daemon?
Is Cistron a suitable replacement for the ascend software?  I don't know
if it makes a difference, but I'm using menus for users that don't have
PAP capability.

ISPd is starting to shape up, and I need a good radius server to
accompany it.  Eventually I want my radius server to authenticate a user
against ISPd, and accept radius attributes back from the ISPd server to
be added to an authenticated user's profile.  I'm at a point where I can
start lending development time to a good radius server.  Where do I
start?

MSG