List:       freenx-knx
Subject:    Re: [FreeNX-kNX] NX server performance
From:       "Fabian Franz" <FabianFranz () gmx ! de>
Date:       2008-03-15 16:38:47

> > Why do you use XShmPutImage? Perhaps with a normal PutImage
> > you would be more successful?
>
> I use XShmPutImage() because it performs better in other X servers, such
> as
> TurboVNC.  It doesn't provide much advantage in NX, but there's no
> disadvantage to it either.  It performs about the same as other image
> drawing methods, such as using XPutImage() or Pixmaps.  And all methods
> suffer from the same high CPU overhead due to fbBlt().

Okay.

> I actually was able to eliminate the md5_process() overhead by setting the
> GLX trap like we'd discussed earlier (I thought that it was already set--
> mistake on my part.)  But the fbBlt() overhead is still a problem.

Perfect with the GLX trap!

Perhaps this fbBlt is called as NX is drawing everything also to an internal \
framebuffer. I think this was added around the development of 1.5.0, perhaps you can \
find something in the changelogs.

This allows to do screenshots and shadowing, but it might be the cause of this \
problem. And in reality it really would not be a problem that for the GLX like for XV \
Video there is just a black shape, where it should be.
> > No real idea ... Might be that the damage extension here
> > igves more harm than use? Tried to disable it: -ext -damage
> > on cmdline.
>
> Good suggestion, but unfortunately it doesn't do anything.
> damageCopyArea()
> is still called for every XShmPutImage() call, and the performance
> overhead
> is still there.  I'll ping the NX developers and see if they have any
> ideas.

Hm, what about ./configure --disable-damage or the like.

(Okay that would be for the X.org approach, but I think its possible to set this in \
IMakefile too.)

Best Regards,

Fabian